1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Hold out for a V4 Multi, its a beast. Not anything I want to take off road but a damn fine road goin' machine.

ducnut likes this.
  2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

A little ride today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TurboBlew, ducnut, Jed and 2 others like this.
  3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Still enough snow to go snowmobiling while you're there. :)

rd400racer likes this.
  4. rd400racer

I wanted to get an S10 because my son has one and I figured if we do a tour together we'd have the same bike.

Well, I was seduced by the orange side. Found a local one owner 1190 for dumb money so I bought it. Had to stuff it in my son's garage for now because I'm full:D

[​IMG]

Rising, SuddenBraking, cBJr and 2 others like this.
  5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

gt#179 and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  6. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

lol I thought you hated the big KTMs (that I love so much). I will agree about values. I saw what they were selling for and went ahead and through mine in storage for a couple years while I’m in Japan.

7. rd400racer

Yeah, the 990R we had was huge. This 1190 is regular sized and that engine is amazing. Bottom line, the S10 seems kind of boring.

cBJr likes this.
  8. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

That extra 4" of ground clearance makes it seem "Huge", despite a...2" shorter W/B and 20+lbs lighter.
    Not sure where that 1190 carries that extra 35HP... :)

9. rd400racer

You knew the bike I'm talking about. It was an awesome machine, but I'm 6 foot and I couldn't tiptoe with both feet down and my son couldn't either and he's taller. Plus we would have never used it to its potential.

10. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I was wondering if you had pulled the trigger on one yet. In my near daily searching I had seen a few in your area for really good prices. I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on it once you get a few miles on it.

11. rd400racer

I had forgotten about this bike because it was originally listed for $9K, more than I wanted to spend. Ended up getting it for 6. One owner with 14K miles. Needs brake pads and tires, other than that he had most services done recently. Might be a while before I get some real miles on her as winter is setting in.

Rising likes this.
  12. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Ran the SM500 a few weeks ago with my brother on our T7s. 3 days/500 miles of great roads and trails in the TN/GA/NC Smokys. Stayed in cabins along the way. Weather was perfect, upper 70s and sunny with peak autumn colors. Was a great ride.

395458688_10160849201091043_4158558475517371906_n.jpg 397100662_10160849202371043_4199984603238406262_n.jpg 397279324_10160849200626043_8253536790378007363_n.jpg

SpeedyTide, motion, ducnut and 4 others like this.
  13. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I think the T7 and other similar bikes are ideal for the SM500. Great three day loop that you can run year round. Or take your time and make 4 days out of it.

if you want a challenge, go on ADV rider and look up the Tellico Adventure Trail (+SM500+). It's the same basic route but with some hard stuff thrown in for good measure. On a bigger bike like the T7, avoid the squally section unless you just like a challenge. I've done the full route on my 500 but need to go back and hit that section on the 950 just to say I've done it.

Lots of good deals out there on the mid size and bigger bikes right now. Friend has a 1090 or 1190 for sale and very few offers on it. Most are looking for the 890 or 1290 it seems.

14. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

ducnut likes this.
  15. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Agreed. I hadn't done much off-road yet with the T7 so I was a bit leery of the weight, not knowing really what the route would be like. It proved to be an awesome bike for the route, the off-road sections were pretty tame. The river crossings were low. And of course the roads were amazing. We even did Wolf Pen Gap Road, the tail of the dragon and the whole Cherahola Skyway in addition to the 500.

I also have a WR250 and was tempted to bring that instead. It's better in the rougher stuff, but honestly when the T7 is rolling it feels very nimble.

16. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

The T7 is the perfect bike for the SM500. Not that you can't do it on the WR250r but there is enough pavement and easy riding that the T7 is perfect.

If you do the +p version (Tellico Adventure) the WR would be ideal.

acorn27 likes this.
  17. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

OK. I have always wanted a vintage transalp / Africa twin..... How would you rate one of those vs a newer version?

I know carbs vs efi...but carbs dont scare me. Actual on trail/dirt road, etc performance. For the spec sheets the new ones have a little more horse torques, maybe 1 more gear but dont really look a "ton" lighter or overall that much better. For 2x-3x the money.

Discuss.

18. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I sold my RD07 AT to Linders. Its a heavy pig.

20. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Is that the one you "sold" him, but it's in yurrip being rallied around by your minions and he's never even seen it?

Sabre699 likes this.