1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should we buy a Porsche?

Discussion in 'General' started by Sundaydisco, Jul 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

If you want it, buy it. Don't need to justify jack spit if it's fun to drive and you want it.

and maybe it's the way too much sun I've been getting but I've grown to like the looks of the Panamera. Stupid name though.

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Seems like that name is deserving of a Rally trim package...with white wheels! :D

3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I'm still holding out for the right one...

[​IMG]

wsmc42, Yzasserina and Razr like this.
  4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Never understood this logic.

As for the Porsche... go for it.

mpusch likes this.
  5. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

You don't need to finance anything to keep your score over 800. I look at hundreds of credit reports a year. As long as you have accounts reporting at zero balances you will be fine. IE, just leave a few CC's open but don't use them. Occasionally put something on them just so the issuing bank doesn't close the account. That's it. I know there are some credit score Natzi's out there that dispute this, but real world it doesn't matter that much.

As for as the Porsche. Well, I don't believe that buying anything that is a depreciating asset is an "opportunity". You have the opportunity to spend money? Don't you always have that? But in the overall scheme of things, does it really matter? You want it, go buy it. They are really fun to drive, look good. Decent luxury etc. Would be really hard for me to go from a paid off Lexus to a Porsche with payments though personally. But that's me interjecting my bias against debt into the conversation. And you asked this on a motorcycle racing forum where people spend thousands just for the chance at a plastic trophy. We aren't exactly the best people to try and talk you out of anything.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    Str8-Lurkin and gixxerboy55 like this.
  6. Sundaydisco

Sundaydisco Crooks Racing

Going from a paid for RX 350 and f250 payment to Paid for F250 and Macan S payment.

7. Sundaydisco

Sundaydisco Crooks Racing

Agreed that there are plenty of other vehicles in this price point that I too would take over the Macan S however this will be my wife primary vehicle so she has to be happy first. The Macan was the first car that we both liked but didn’t think we could afford a nice one. But with this opportunity it is possible.

8. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I've owned a bunch of Porsches, 2 944s, a Boxster, 911S. I sold them all before they hit 50k miles and honestly they were all pretty trouble free.

Sports cars just stopped fitting into my life 5 years ago. I live in a downtown area and drives are pretty short, and so is parking. Plus with 4 race bikes in the garage I don't have room or time to maintain a nice car in the way it should be. My weekly drive is 400 miles round trip highway, with 3 days of baking in the airport parking lot in between. The GTI I bought new 6 years ago has had the crap beat out of it. I just replaced the headlights and when I took the grille out, about 100 petrified bugs fell out of the condenser. I thought about trading it in, but the value is like $4500, so I'm going to do some paint work and keep running it into the ground I guess!

All that said, the Macan is one car that I turn to look at every time it passes. Never owned an SUV and don't really see the point, but damn that thing just looks good and I'm sure it handles even better.

One thing the OP said- you and your wife are both into this car- how often does that happen? Seems like you have your financial house in order and while I agree with Metal about debt, you could stroke out tomorrow and it could all be over, so you have to enjoy it when you have the chance. Sounds like this is a decent opportunity.....so go for it and don't forget to post pics after!

Razr and Sundaydisco like this.
  9. And a ZX10 or GSXR will offer about the same performance as a Panigale.

But they aren’t a Panigale.

Again, logic isn’t a factor in these types of decisions.

MachineR1 likes this.
  10. I hate them.

They gave me one as a loaner while Bacons oil was being changed and I couldn’t get out of it fast enough. I told them to never give me one of those again.

11. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Yes Porsche's last 20yrs. Now they don't last as well as that lexus. Porsche suv's DO NOT HANDLE LIKE A 911. Sure they handle great but don't get fooled by marketing. Seeing as you can't get a manual trans in a macan, I don't see it as overly more sporty then the Lexus. I'd pass and spend the extra money on a used 997.

BigBird likes this.
  12. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Even if it does handle loads better than a Lexus, 99% of the time you won't be using that advantage as you will be using your SUV to get groceries and sit in traffic.

BigBird, brex, Funkm05 and 3 others like this.
  13. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

So this vehicle in question is a SUV?

Reminds me of the Porsche commercial that shows a cordless phone next to the exhaust, while the owner makes it go "varoom varoom." When he steps out of the car, you can see he is the ultimate douchebag … lives in an McMansion, and is wearing plaid PJ's and docksiders (w/ no socks).

And you want to spend good money to become one of these people?

14. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Seems to me it will be his wife's car. You calling her a douchebag or one of those people?

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

I mean it's a base model SUV, I just don't get it. An SUV is an SUV is an SUV.

It will never match the performance of a car in the same price range, and if someone is looking for performance it's not that vehicle type. If someone HAD to have an SUV in that size, I would start with the Macan GTS, Audi SQ5, X3 M40i

16. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

You need glasses, if you think that 4 door abomination is sexy...

17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

No perfect vision will only make it worse. :D

Boman Forklift and noles19 like this.
  18. I get what you are saying about the (base) model designation, and I agree.

But it’s not really an SUV; it is a Crossover. It isn’t like a Highlander or Tahoe or some shit. It sits a little higher off the ground than a car, but not a lot. And it damn sure doesn’t handle like an SUV.

If we were discussing track vehicles, then it might be a different story. But we are talking about daily drivers. I am sure I can (at least) double the speed limit in any corner on the street. I’ve played in the mountains and the thing rails (on both of them, the Macan and the SVR).

I already get the “Liter bike on the street” feeling as is. I think discussing higher levels of performance in a daily driver is a moot point. It just can’t be utilized.

The difference maker with these types of vehicles is that in addition to being fast and fun, they can also haul golf clubs, and luggage, while pulling a trailer.

zamboiv, wera313 and BigBird like this.
  19. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I can only assume you meant Acadia. Tahoe is the quintessential SUV ... 4-door body on a truck chassis/suspension/powertrain.

20. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Good point my bad!!