1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should we buy a Porsche?

Discussion in 'General' started by Sundaydisco, Jul 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Sundaydisco

Sundaydisco Crooks Racing

Opportunity has arisen for us to buy a 2017 Porsche Macan S with about 30k miles and in almost new condition. We would take ownership with no negative equity since we are getting under wholesale pricing which we can verify with our connections in the car business. We can afford the vehicle though it will be at the very top of what we would budget for a car. However there is no practical reason besides the Macan is a blast to drive and way cooler than the paid for RX 350 we currently drive with zero fun factor. We don’t “need” a new vehicle and had no intention of buying one in the next year, but this one caught our eye. Besides, it sure feels good going around a corner! We are by no means loaded; however we feel we manage what we have well. So a few questions for the peeps.
    Has anyone ever regretted buying a Porsche Macan or any other Porsche for that matter?
    Does having a small SUV that handles like a 911ish such a bad thing?
    Is it unrealistic to expect a Porsche to last twenty years?
    We have about 20 hours to make the decision. But it sure does look good sitting in our driveway...

2. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

3. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Awesome vehicles, but keep in mind that the depreciation on those things are just unbelievable. Anything but a 911 will depreciate like crazy. Those $150K Cayenne Turbos are now $8K. Eventually, your Macan will be worth $5K, but if you enjoy it for 10-20 years and are fine with that, then I think its a great purchase.

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Should you? Well that's something only you can decide. I say as long as the rest of your finances are in order there is no reason not to if you can swing it and aren't impacting the family in a negative way financially.

5. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Dude down the road was selling a TechArt Cayenne for 16k. Depreciation is bananas. If it wasn't Forest Green I probably would have bought it.

6. sdg

sdg *

Everybody should buy a Porsche. I wish I had bought one sooner

black knight likes this.
  7. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

+ 2

8. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Ask yourself some questions. What is the difference in Insurance cost? Are you prepared for the cost of Porsche parts and service? Are you prepared for some people (friends/relatives) to pull the jealousy card? If so, get it!

9. I had a Macan Turbo for almost 3 years and loved it. The only issue I had was the battery on the FOB went low and had to be changed.

But what they are saying is accurate. Mine depreciated about $50,000 in 3 years. It’s just how it goes.

If you don’t care about that, then go for it. It will still be in warranty.

10. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

My buddy bought a 996 911 for a pretty good price. They’re at the bottom of their depreciation curve. I’d look there, tbh.

The_R1_Kid, rd400racer and sdg like this.
  11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Insurance could actually be cheaper as insurance companies know that very few Porsche owners wrap them around trees.

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

13. Sundaydisco

Just to be clear this is a used 2017 Macan S so we are not eating all of the depreciation. It was a trade in at the auto group that she works for. Insurance on it is only $100 more a year the the RX350. Tires surprisingly are only about 15% more. I know service and parts will be higher then the average car but then again it’s not a average car. The worse case scenario is this car could infringe on our racing budget, that said so could the F250 diesel if something went wrong with it. My wife and hardly ever impulse buy anything, we always kinda wait for one of those deals to come along and then take advantage of them. This vehicle feels like one of those deals but also little irresponsible at the same time. Normally one of us can be the voice of reason but in this case we are both ok with being a little responsible.

14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Good news about owning a Porsche... its stout enough to tow with so when you get to a track, its real easy to move someones stuff out of the way of your preferred pit spot. Then when they complain 2-4 days after the event... just tell them "Porsche...there is no substitute" :D or "etiquette this!! (whilst grabbing your crotch)"

969, Motofun352, TX Joose and 7 others like this.
  15. Sundaydisco

:crackup:

16. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Lexus is the sensible choice.

Porsche is the passionate choice.

RoadRacerX and StaccatoFan like this.
  17. wera313

wera313 Well-Known Member

Bought a new Cayenne this year. First Porsche. It’s completely ruined me for other cars - there so many smart features. Not to mention the engine and handling are fantastic for what it is. Tested the S and can’t imagine needing the extra power. Makes trips into the mountains much more enjoyable.

Great for my small family of 3. Use a Mototote and small open trailer for multiple bikes.

I do miss my Ram 2500 some days because of haul/tow capabilities. Don’t miss trying to maneuver it in the city.

18. Sounds to me like you are looking for validation for the decision you have already made.

Just get it.

19. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Da fug mang! :rolleyes: You’re wife is on board with this purchase and you still had to come here to ask these fools? You are in serious jeopardy of having your man-card down graded. :Poke:

Now go buy the gull dang vehicle and :rock:

20. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Ok I'll be negative Nancy here.....

If you can pay cash for it, sure. If not, HELL no. I've had some badass trucks over the years. All financed because I couldn't pay cash BUT...i could afford the payment. With each one, for the first couple of months, I was like "pffff easy peasy". After that, I'd wonder what the fuck I was doing spending a 1/4 of my income on something that does not one Goddamn thing better than the ride I had.
    It's transportation. Point A to point B. How you get there means nothing. NO ONE is impressed with what you drive. For real, no one.
    If you took that monthly payment and socked it away, you could pay cash for one AND a damn house, in 10 years, and not have a worry in the world. Payments on ANYTHING is a death sentence. I know, I've been there.
    I'm 56. I owe no one anything. I deliver pizzas for a living. Not rich, but not poor either. Debt free is the way to go while y'all are still young. Throw that car payment at your house and other bills now. Do the opposite of society. Don't fall for the debt trap. Seriously. I write this because I give a shit.

iagsxr, cha0s#242, 88/532 and 12 others like this.