1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shoot this idea down (Walmart parking lot mini series)

Discussion in 'General' started by LukeLucky, Jan 29, 2014.

1. LukeLucky

LukeLucky Well-Known Member

Of course liability is the main concern. Imagine Walmart approves a liability waiver or liability is transferred to the event organizer.

What else ya got?

I'm talking 50-85cc pocket bikes only. Courses made of hay bales, cones, etc. Walmart (or other major retailer) sponsor the series by land use and removed from liability.

Gets road racing into every community. Makes it readily accessible to any young kids to get involved. Then local tracks, clubs (WERA), etc can promote at those events for their more professional events held at real tracks.

Go!

2. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I like the idea, but the location is wrong. You should do it at Target. Target has MILFs. There's no MILFs at Walmart, just trailer park queens, baby mamas, and illegals with mullets and cowboy boots. It's just the wrong audience demographic.

:D

3. LukeLucky

LukeLucky Well-Known Member

There's also the idea of utilizing go-kart tracks, but I feel like those often seem to have more obstacles and dangerous surroundings than an empty flat skid-pad.

4. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Sweet! You can slalom the trucks, campers, and adulterous trash that's parked there 24/7! :D

The biggest problem: I can't see a multi-billion dollar retail corporation seeing any benefit from increased liability, no matter who assumes it.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  5. My first thought is how packed Walmart is. I can't find a parking spot now. When you figure the track, plus competitors, plus spectators, plus any vendors that might be there, I don't see them going for it.

They make millions every day, I can't see them giving up their parking lot for something that will bring them zero return.

Love the idea, just don't see them going for it.

6. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Luke, come on. :)

Find an indoor karting place. We ran a series (GLMMRS, Great Lakes Mini-Motard Series) a few years back. All CRF-50 based bikes. 3 classes, 90+ members. We had to turn people away at the door, as well as sponsors we were so packed. Giveaways every round, WERA National-caliber trophies at the year-end banquet. It was an awesome time.

We actually made significant money doing it too. Who knew. Nearly bought a full AMB scoring system for the series before the economy tanked. And moderating the forum was worse than here sometimes.

7. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Wrong "Mart", should start with "K". Parking issues solved.

8. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

That's what I was thinking. Show up and go! Flash mob racing anyone?

9. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

We used to do on Sundays in a Florida DOT parking lot. Nobody seemed to care. Hell, FHP came by and watched once.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why would you do what is already being done by mini orgs on tracks? Plenty of people out there doing informal parking lots stuff as well. What's the point of doing more of what is happening anyway?

11. BC

BC Well-Known Member

In Lukes defense, He's after a different crowd (of spectators)that isn't going to show up at a cart track or other organized event.

12. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Fiddies4life on Facebook already doing some

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I saw nothing in his plans about spectators. I just see reinventing the wheel.

I see this a lot from people enthusiastic about the sport, they are only involved in one aspect of it and come up with great ideas not realizing it's already being done.

Also - WalMart will never let you put on organized races in their parking lots. No upside and too much downside for them.

14. BC

BC Well-Known Member

One aspect of the sport?? Really?

15. brex

brex Well-Known Member

After we lost our only prior roadrace track here in Utah and before Larry Miller built his kick ass facility, we used to do school events in the parking lot of one of the arenas here in Utah.
    We changed up the layout a few times as needed and it wasn't perfect. But it was all we had and it worked out pretty well.
    As the place was on the freeway, we used to get people slowing down and watching, or even getting off the freeway to come over and watch. It was good from that aspect.
    We also used to do pocketbikes in the lot of an office complex on Sundays. It worked as well. But this was all 20 or so years ago.
    But a retailer would never open the parking lot.

16. Consideration has to be given for the orgs already doing mini races. I can't see people buying/prepping minis just for this Walmart series. Which means it will be people who already have bikes and do/could race elsewhere.

IMO the first thing that should be considered when bringing up new orgs, series, classes, etc is "how will this affect what we have now?".

There is only so much pie to work with. Cutting it up into smaller and smaller pieces ultimately won't benefit anybody. Instead of smaller pieces, we need more pies. :)

17. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Too much liability for the Property/Business Owner... Better off renting the local Fairgrounds.... Every Town has them....

18. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

You sign liability waivers to get into race tracks, race and do track days. People still sue. And win.

I can't imagine a company opening themselves up to that kind of exposure for literally no benefit. You have to keep in mind that, literally, no one has a vested interest in "saving" roadracing. It's about making money. Why would Wal-Mart inconvenience their regular customers and slow down their cash flow so you can ride minis in their parking lot and then have Mr. and Mrs. Smith sue them when Tommy skins his knee?

The mini racing around here is pretty healthy at NJMP at their outdoor go kart track. Plus, it's at a track, where racing should be.

19. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

There's nothing to lose by talking to people and trying to put this together. Props to Luke for giving it a go. I've talked to quite a few dads at race tracks over the years who wanted to get their younger kids into road racing and had no idea where to start. I always try and point them to the nearest mini org in their area. A lot of times, there is nothing close. It's pretty easy to get your kid on a dirt bike in any town. Asphalt, not so much.

20. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

For some reason the thread title made me think of a "bang bus" type scenario. This has much more potential, as Walmart already allows overnight RV parking on their lots. But good luck on that other thing...make a scooter class and I'll get the Zuma ready.