Shoot this idea down (Walmart parking lot mini series)

Discussion in 'General' started by LukeLucky, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Luke? Yes. One. Well, I guess two now that he's promoting trackday racing. But he's still limited in experience with all of this.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes there is. Chaotic actually put it quite nicely.

WERA doesn't push it's mini stuff for exactly that reason. It's there but I'm not going to do anything to hurt the mini orgs who are and have been doing a lot of good stuff for a long time.

3. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

the stadium in Hershey, PA runs gymkhana events there pretty often in the parking lot

could be done but not in Wal Mart parking lots

need to find venues where gymkhana is allowed and then bikes could probably be introduced

would be a good way to start a parking lot supermoto series....bring some collapsable metal tabletops and the like..

just sayin...

4. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

The mini orgs don't cover the whole country. You can put a set of scooter tires on your kid's CRF50 for about $30 and give it a go, but only so many parents are willing to travel a large distance to do so. I think parking lot racing would more likely feed the mini orgs than detract from them. I have offered the use of Caleb's old bike to a few people for use in a Gamra round, but only one dad has been willing to make the drive so far. He is now a Wera racer, but his son has not come back out. It needs to be close and convenient to set the hook.
    Sometimes the world needs a dreamer or two to get things stirring.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And in the meantime the realists keep moving the sport forward and not making it more divisive.

6. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Walmart would never get on-board, but there's nothing stopping anyone from approaching any other business about using their lot. Frankly, I think the business owners would be fine with it - the LAND owners (who are leasing to Walmart, or whomever) are the ones who will have a major issue with the potential liability.

My teammate and I have attempted to make a parking lot track at his place of employment. We spent more time sweeping/blowing gravel than actually riding, and I still crashed and messed up my thumb.

As cheap as it is to take a mini to the kart track, we've stopped using the "race shop" lot for anything beyond tuning and testing. the 2 hours it takes to pack up and drive to the BeaveRun kart track, and then the $30 to ride quality asphalt with elevation changes, etc. is totally worth it.

I won't pimp the mini series I frequent, but I race 9-10 rounds a year for $700 in expenses...

7. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

We were invited to run there and at Road America's kart track, back then. It would have been fun, but definitely a big increase in travel for the riders.

8. nigel smith

I spent a season running a mini org. Not a lot of experience, sure, but it did give me a little perspective. If someone had come along and put together a parking lot race during that time, we would have been there in force. It doesn't take much effort, money, or advance notice to drive to a local parking lot and have some fun. Making things easy for beginners is important, and the mini racing market is presently underserved, particularly for juvenile first timers.

9. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Team Owner? Racer? I believe he also put together an event to get Pro riders and street riders together to promote the sport. At least he's trying.

Nice to see you didn't forget your condescending prick pills this morning. :)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  10. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Teaming up with a mini org and doing some parking lot racing in high traffic areas to expose people who wouldn't otherwise be exposed to the sport can't be a bad thing.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup: Okey dokey.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You guys are absolutely right, I have no idea what I'm talking about so by all means, call every business that owns a large parking lot near you and ask them. Please let us know the addresses of all of them who are on board.

13. nigel smith

Robby-Bobby has put together an asphalt circle track series here in conjunction with the local car series. The kids in the audience love seeing bikes on pavement, although it's more a motard than mini thing. Exposing the unwashed masses to our sport can't help but be beneficial. I believe he makes an effort not to conflict with regional big track road racing.

14. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

Prick!!

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What does racing at a race track have to do with anything? You already told me that running on established tracks isn't good enough and that's all he's doing.

What are your local big box stores and strip malls telling you?

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ahem, asshole thank you very much. Besides, I'm being nice, post up where these parking lot races are going to happen.

17. I just wanted to save this. :D

18. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Those can be tough on the liver... I suggest trying the new condescending prick patch, then supplementing with the condescending prick eye drops on race weekends.

19. nigel smith

Putting on a race that will be seen by a non-traditional audience in hopes of attracting local attention would be the point. Where are the local kids lining up for autographs at our races?

The parking lot thing may never happen, although I have friends in Tennessee who have made it work in the past. Some of them moved on to Wera. Successful or not, I see no real chance of a negative impact on road racing in general.

20. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

We are actively looking for parking lots to run in up here. But this is only until our new track is done in August. With that said, if there is no established track within an hour or so of the parking lot then I say go for it. Walmart is a bad idea, but there are many businesses that are not open on weekends. Another good place to look are small airports and even schools.