1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shock Question??

Discussion in 'Tech' started by gixxerlvr, Dec 26, 2009.

1. gixxerlvr

gixxerlvr Shoot, Move, Communicate

I understand the difference between a 2 way and a 3 way adjustable shock. I am by no means the fastest one out there, I have a Penske 2 way, would bumping up to a 3 way to have the added bene of more tunability make a diff. for me, I know if your smoking fast it will but for a novice will it help?

Thanks
    Ty

2. kmfegan

kmfegan Well-Known Member

3. dmb367

dmb367 Custom User Title A

4. gixxerlvr

No what? Give me a short class on why.

Thanks

5. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

They aren't smart enough to know how to tune high speed compression. It could make a diff for you but it depends on you and the track.

6. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

I believe you received the "no" due to you stating you were a novice.
    Ask the tuner you work with. You know your abilities.
    My Penske twin clicker works fine on my SV...
    I'd save the money and spend the extra cash on the front end. That being if it is still stock.... :beer:

7. gixxerlvr

The front end is already done with racetech gold valves. Thanks for the input, I am a novice due to lack of racing because of my job, but I think I will save the loot for something else. until I out ride what I have, I will stay with this setup.

8. Garrison

Garrison Well-Known Member

Tip of the iceberg bro. You could be sporting full ohlins cartridges, sprung and valved for your weight. OR gas charged, as a certain other recent topic healithy points out.

I think suspension is honestly what you need to put your money into first. That and brakes. But the confidence you will feel with a properly set-up suspension is invaluable. I won't say you need to spend 2k on the front, but it will certainly help a whole hell of a lot.

9. RCM78

RCM78 Well-Known Member

The high speed adjustment only comes into play on rough bumpy tracks. About 90% of your compression will be low speed.

10. gixxerlvr

I agree on suspension and brakes being priority #1 and I have done so and have learned from previous mistakes by not doing so. With that said, I have done both front and rear with gear I think is suitable for my level at this point in my racing ventures, when I get more skill then I will for sure upgrade. Thanks for the input.

11. gixxerlvr

Thanks, fortunetly the tracks I do ride are pretty smooth IMO, Willow and Auto Club. So I think I am pretty good. The streets Of Willow is pretty bumpy, but no racing on that track though, just track days.:beer:

12. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

What is adjuster on 8983 Penske?

13. HondaGalToo

HondaGalToo Well-Known Member

Low speed compression and rebound.

14. TWF2

That was 8981.

15. HondaGalToo

HondaGalToo Well-Known Member

AFAIK, the 8983 is the new model. It's a double-clicker, so my understanding is that the adjustments are low speed compression and rebound. I think you don't get adjustment on the high speed compression unless you go for the triple clicker. Pretty sure that's a standard difference between the double and triple clickers.

16. TWF2

8983 is basically triple without low speed.

17. condon66

condon66 Member well known

How can you not have low speed comp. damping? That's what the double clickers have. That and rebound. Almost all the adjusting done, even on a triple clicker, will be done on low speed not high speed. The 8983 is a newer version of the 8981 isn't it? 8983 has more comp. damping adjustments over the 8981's 6 positions.

The reason the OP was told no as to whether he should go with a triple clicker over a double clicker is because fine tuning high speed comp. damping is barely important even to fast riders. That's what I've gathered from debates about this subject.

18. TWF2

Who said you don't have low speed damping? You have it just not adjustable, it is fixed.
    Low speed is orifice and needle and high speed is shim stack. On triple you have both, on 8983 you have shim stack. 8981 had drum with different size holes.

19. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Ah, you did. And yes low speed is adjustable on the double. It's the high speed that's not adjustable. I think you're confusing high and low speed.

20. TWF2

I am not going to argue with you, go to penske site and download manual, or look at one that comes with shock.