Shock Question??

Discussion in 'Tech' started by gixxerlvr, Dec 26, 2009.

1. condon66

condon66 Member well known

I have a Penske on my track bike.

2. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Which one you have? Did you look in manual what adjuster does?

3. condon66

I have the 8981. It has adjustable rebound and low speed comp. damping. In the case of a high speed thrust of the shaft, the shock is designed to by-pass the oil to prevent packing. This feature however is not adjustable.

4. TWF2

5. condon66

In post 17 you said low speed is NOT adjustable. I'm saying it is. I'm not arguing about drums or shim stacks.

6. dmb367

dmb367 Custom User Title A

What did you mean by this statement then? :confused:

7. TWF2

Actually I said it all wrong. You have shim stack in there but you adjusting needle in orifice which is low speed. More orifice is closed more influence on shim stack you get.
    On triple you preloading shim stack separate from low speed.

8. gixxerlvr

gixxerlvr Shoot, Move, Communicate

All I wanted was a little advice fellas:beer: But it has all been helpful and I am going to stick with my double and save the loot and upgrade other components.

9. TWF2

Which double you have? I mixed info here but there are 3 different doubles, one of them has high speed only.

10. gixxerlvr

gixxerlvr Shoot, Move, Communicate

8300 series. I dont know of any shcok with just high speed adj. When most of the action is low speed (i.e. entry and exit). I looked at traxxion website and none of the doubles state high speed only.

11. TWF2

None of new ones have it, it was older model. It looks just like triple but there is no silver knob in middle for low speed. I had one myself.
    I though some of first 8983 had this because they had adjuster you have to use wrench on it but I was wrong.

12. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

I bet you are thinking of the 8986. It was fixed low speed bleed and high speed stack preload, IIRC. The 8981 and 8986 were morphed into the 8983 a few years back, which is a linear compression adjustment shock.

13. TWF2

Right, 8986 reservoir is high speed only with fixed low.
    Only thing I confused is very first 8983, I thought it was also high only but nut style knob was because of straight entry.