1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Service Fee

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Apr 4, 2023.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I've noticed more restaurants and stores are tacking on a service fee to credit card transactions.

My understanding was that cost was so minimal that businesses just ate it. What changed?

2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

The cost isn't minimal any more.

BigBird, cav115 and rice r0cket like this.
  3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Used to be 3 to 5%. Might be more now since almost no one carries and/or pays in cash.

the pizza places around here are charging $5 and up for delivery. Plus the gawd damn tip!

4. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Hide that shit in the product costs. Fuel surcharges, S&H, and any other shit like that drives me nuts.

eppy01f4i, HPPT, scottn and 3 others like this.
  5. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

But…but…but…

Haven’t you learned ANYTHING from the TicketMaster technique?

5axis and Phl218 like this.
  6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I really hate those terminals and portals with the "tip" to add even for takeout. A tip is earned NOT demanded.

RichMangus, Rebel635 and R1Racer99 like this.
  7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Subway is bad at that, that's why I pay them cash.

8. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

I can't find a nice hotel without an additional $45/night "resort fee' any more. Same dusty treadmills, same pool, same hot tub thats always closed for maintenance.
    For the love of CHRIST, just charge whatever you need to stay in business. I don't need the list of excuses! Why am I paying YOUR taxes, surcharges, fee's?

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Some folks think they are doing you a favor by letting you know how many others have their hands in the till for zero value added charges.

cav115 likes this.
  10. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

In business, perspective is everything

If my gas station does 100k in sales per day, and some bank takes 6%, because let's face it, most people gave up on cash......do the math.

I'm not losing 6k per day.

I charge all my jobs more if they pay by CC. I don't do 100k a day but nonetheless, that shit adds up.

Also, people that go out to eat with friends without cash and don't tip cash can suck a big sweaty dick. Lowest lifeforms on earth.

I had to edit.

There are 2 lower lifeforms on earth.
    1. Bud light drinkers
    2. People that park gas vehicles in front of diesel pumps

Last edited: Apr 4, 2023
  11. pickled egg

Phew. I’m safe.

I don’t have any friends to go out to eat with.

12. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Tipping needs to die, period.

MyWayGuy and noles19 like this.
  13. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Well the us is one of the only countries that does it so we could change it.
    And now that everyone asks for a tip it might actually go away.

TurboBlew and brex like this.
  14. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Perspective

The guy that trained my wife at a fine dining place was a gay dude, mid 50s, fucking guy had all tables sat with business people at all times....I'm talking 2pm on a Wednesday. He hustled and had excellent attention to detail. I'd guess he pulled 1500 cash outta there weekly

This was 20yrs ago

Once a Wanker.. and R1Racer99 like this.
  15. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Well, isn't this a pathetic plea for attention? You win. Head on down my way and we'll go out for pimento cheese sandwiches. There's a place on the bay that serves a pretty good rendition.

rd400racer and pickled egg like this.
  16. pickled egg

Nope.

An acknowledgement that I’m an insufferable bastard and don’t want to eat with anybody else. :D

cav115 likes this.
  17. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Then the company can give him a raise or bonus like any other industry.
    Restaurant personnel should be paid a market wage like anyone else, all costs included in price of meal.

Perspective.

18. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I completely agree that tipping has gotten out of control, but I don’t understand why people want to get rid of it completely.

There are a ton of people like me that chose to work in a restaurant for a living, make a decent middle class income, and are raising families just like the rest of people who don’t work for tips. Millions of people in this country would be fucked if it went away, and everyone would still pay the same with the increased prices, just with shitty service.

tony 340, scottn, Jed and 2 others like this.
  19. pickled egg

Yep.

Wanna see how service industry workers perform without the incentive of tips!

Go to the DMV…

If you can’t afford to throw 20% on top of the bill for the server, stay home and eat your Cap’n Crunch. :Poke:

20. pickled egg

The dude that works at the local Subway earns the tips he gets from me. Treats the girls like gold.

tony 340 and Razr like this.