1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Service Fee

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Apr 4, 2023.

1. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Having said that, most places have the keypads where you just swipe/insert/tap the card yourself.

2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

My ex-wife had this annoying habit (well, several, actually) of dismissively flicking cash in the general direction of the cashier when paying cash for something.

Pissed me off when she did that.

Dammit, I hadn't thought of her in months, and now I'm pissed off. :mad:

:D

3. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

Ya Delta. $30 for the first bag and $40 for the second bag, Even with a Comfort+ ticket and a $19-$49 fee for picking some of the seats in the Comfort+ section.
    https://www.delta.com/us/en/baggage/overview

I'd rather just pay the extra $100 and get that stuff included!

You must be using their credit card or snooty First class?;)

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I deduct sales tax and CC fees before calculating the 20+% tip. I also hate it when they had back change as a wad of bills with the coins piled on top.

JBall likes this.
  5. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I’ve never understood that one either, I’ve always tipped off the total.

On both sides of tips I just see them as symbols of appreciation. No good or bad tip is going to change someone’s life, if the service is decent or better I give them more than expected to show appreciation. When I get a big tip I don’t care about the money, just that they were that happy with the service or generous to people in the service industry.

BigBird and CBRRRRR999 like this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wow that sucks. Yeah - Delta Amex. That just adds to making it well worth it (along with the companion ticket and SkyClub access).

7. Cooter!

Ya they got REAL picky about SkyClub:( But I worked too dang hard to rid myself of having any credit cards, so I'll have to 'suffer' without it.

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I don't drink so SkyClub and comfort+ air bar are pretty pointless. Hell I'd rather not fly at all anytime I can avoid it.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Why? Even the register tapes that show what 15-18-20% tips are exclude the taxes.

10. Cooter!

I'm 5' 15 1/2" so comfort+ is mandatory (at least when the company pays for the ticket:crackup:)

As fun as people watching is at an airport, it's the lack of any quiet space drives me NUTS. Parking announcements inside security? Gate announcements at baggage claim? If you're hearing it there, it's too late! "HIIIII! I'M THE MAYOR OF STOP-OVER CITY, PLEASE STAY! WE DESPERATELY WANT YOUR MONEY HERE." Just shut up and let me enjoy, uh, eat... my sbarro.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Depending on the flight time we would get to ATL pretty early and the sky club is a ton nicer than the regular gate area - and has food. I don't drink when flying so that part never mattered to me either. Mainly though the companion fare pays for the card, the rest is pure bonus. Might have to let it go now we're not racing out west though. Going to see if I can talk the boss into a vacation and use it, if not I'll just downgrade or nuke the card.

Steeltoe likes this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Bose over the ear or Apple AirPods - worth every penny.

13. Cooter!

Are they a newer version? I tried them a few years back and they were good, but I still think the Between Pro's are even better, for my poor taste in music anyway.

The new Gen of Air Pod Pros got an upgrade for noise cancellation and TBH, they just do everything so dang well they're my go-to. Small case, long battery life, effortless connectivity, call clarity (for the caller), 'find-my' feature... I did add foam tips to keep them in my strange shaped ears a bit better.

See! "tips"! Were aren't digressing here!

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Dunno on music quality, all I ever use the Bose for is the noise reduction and music/movies on a plane so never expect high quality then.

The AirPods are flat out amazing to me, they even work great mowing the lawn. Not sure if I have the old pro or new ones, think the old.

15. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Reserve card? I just upgraded to the Platinum card, and with the way this year's travel schedule is turning, the Reserve is looking better and better.

As for ear buds, the Bose in-ears work really well. The noise cancelling is good enough for mowing and shop vac use and they don't try to fall out.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not sure which - the purple one is all I know :crackup: I ran the numbers and it was more than worth it when we flew a lot, have to re run them now and adjust.

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

NYC actually did some good...city ticket transparency bill

Council passes ban on ticket ads that keep extra fees under wraps

“Companies will no longer be able to say, ‘Tickets to “Aladdin” start at $20,’ unless you can actually get a ticket ... for $20,” .....“What normally happens is that it says, ‘Tickets start at $20’ — but you can’t find a ticket for $20,” he said. “Usually that $20 ticket turns into a $60 ticket.”

-NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

R1Racer99 likes this.