1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seriously...when is it time to quit?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Nov 17, 2020.

1. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

It`s all about you, as others have said.

I went through a period when I thought I would quit soon, but now realize I love to race, and why wouldn`t I?

Nothing replaces it. So when I can`t, so be it. Till then,, do it!

BigBird likes this.
  2. aftriathlete

aftriathlete Well-Known Member

I haven't quit yet, but the Air Force has me on a hiatus since Summer 2018. I think about racing and motorcycles constantly, a bizarre amount really given how long I've been away from it now. A couple things have definitely changed for me over the years though. For one, I'm done with "big" bikes and am really only interested in pursuing ULW racing in the future. I race too occasionally and got into it late enough in life that I'm not interested in racing something that has a devil's fist-full of throttle any more. It was thrilling at the time racing Open class bikes, but a large part of that thrill was how close I was to the edge of the cliff as far as my abilities go. A corollary to that, I also need to reduce the amount of wrenching and futzing between and during race weekends as it's a huge hit to the fun level for something I do strictly for fun. So racing a ULW bike should reduce that in theory, at the very least a lot less tire changing. Finally, like a lot of guys have mentioned, something switched for me mentally when I had my kids (4.5 yo daughter, 2 yo son). Almost overnight I went to running at the pointy end, or at least pushing my own limits, to running mid-pack and being way more concerned with self-preservation than I was before. Aside from the personal risk aspect, I also think now about the cost to my family in time and attention, so if I'm going to continue in the sport I have to find a way to limit the cost to my family and to get them into the process as much as I can. My daughter REALLY wants a dirt bike when we get back to the US next summer, so I can see shifting what I'm doing on two wheels to something that revolves around my kids and two wheels and away from the fairly selfish race weekends where, if the family even comes, they are basically just sitting around at the track watching me do my thing all weekend.

jlawrider, Yzasserina and cav115 like this.
  3. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

i stopped when my first kid was born. still have all my gear, just no bikes. (only dirt bikes). getting my 6 year old proficient in the dirt on his crf50 has been so rewarding to me, and i am loving the family time spent in the desert camping and riding with my kid. not sure if ill ever get back on track for myself. I will show him mini roadracing, and if he takes an interest, maybe things will head back towards asphalt.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  4. BigBird

BigBird blah

I like going to the garage and working on the car, it's my time alone. As the kids get older, you'll need the time away.

The biggest thing is that you'll find out that is that they don't need you there 24/7 and you can survive a weekend without seeing each other. The time away actually makes them miss you and vice versa. My ones are 9 now and when I do Time Trials, I'm away for the weekend. I enjoy the time at the track and being away for a day or 2, we video or text each other, and all is well. They like to hear the stories, etc. Technology makes it pretty easy these days.

TL;DR Dad needs time to do his thing.

Buell1965, Yzasserina and Greg ZX6R like this.
  5. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

That was a tough realization for me, especially when I factored in the anxiety I was causing loved ones, especially at the sharp end of those big bike classes.

6. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

I am 62 and have no plans on quitting. I decided to start road racing at 58. It's a blast the few times a year I race or go to a track day although racing is the best. In a weird way I am glad I have never been a very fast road racer since I don't have anything to prove other than I'm safe and having fun. It would be too frustrating to not be in front on a motocross track since I was fast at motocross years ago.

I met a guy at Road Atlanta that had won various WERA vintage championships but was no longer capable of winning. We was older than me and frustrated.

I'm going to keep road racing. I am a little concerned about getting hurt. I bought an air vest to help.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    Laz, Senna, cav115 and 4 others like this.
  7. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

This is me 100%. I usually send my wife a picture of my tech sticker when I get it- that's like our signal that the hard part is over, it's all fun from here on out (and it's now safe for her to call me with questions about the TV remote or the car.)

One of my friends recently wrote a narrative on why he retired; I liked it and it's stuff we have all felt at some point in our racing lives- seeing a friend hurt, dreading the shit ton of work involved getting prepped, traveling, etc.

I have been racing consistently since 1999, it took me a while to figure out that I had to make everything as streamlined as possible so I reduce the workload. Sometimes it just sucks going to the track alone, many of my friends have retired or moved on, but once I get out on track I forget all of that shit. Going racing with guys like Kaleb and others is good too- because their enthusiasm is infectious and it gets me excited too.

You may just need an attitude adjustment- sometimes it's just the way you choose to think of things. Or take a break- there's nothing that says you can't go back to it in 2 months or 2 years!

Senna, cav115, Yzasserina and 2 others like this.
  8. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

What kind of bike are you looking at? Maybe if it's a bike you really enjoy, that would be the driver to keep showing up. Plenty of classes to find a passion project to ride in. I have a VFR750 monstrosity project I'm just desperate to finish and get on track.

rd400racer likes this.
  9. Buell1965

Buell1965 Well-Known Member

dont count your old lonesome hound out yet , getting him ready for 2021 with new calipers and brake hoses and tire warmers for him and his skinny feet come first round at tally . He says he still loves his daddy .

rd400racer likes this.
  10. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Oh I know. When she's against bikes of her class everything is fine. Problem is, there aren't many left, so I got lapped by a couple of 15 year olds . Maybe that's what bummed me out. Looking at a 750 Duc right now, just not sure if I want to take the plunge. Still have an RD, RZ and SR540 in the garage too. No shortage of bikes to race, just don't know if the desire is there anymore.

Buell1965 likes this.
  11. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

I'm definitely out there to have fun but I'm definitely not out there to get my ass kicked. Having said that, I look for classes/race series that don't require me putting myself on the hairy edge 100% of he time so I can enjoy it a little more. I don't know if I'll ever just do track days. They can be fun, but I don't just want to go out and feel fast, I want the competition. OTOH, I don't mind going relatively slow when I'm doing some instructing.

Gino230, KneeDragger_c69 and BigBird like this.
  12. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I don't want to plug another race organization, but I think WERA and AHRMA can coexist. Please delete my post it it's not appropriate. I don't know if you've ever raced an AHRMA round, but 15 year old kids will not put a beat down on you there. A good percentage of the riders are gentleman racers out to have a little fun on the track. Sure, there are some deadly serious folks out for blood, but it wouldn't be hard to find some like minded individuals on similar bikes who share your concerns about geriatric racing.

Phl218 and Buell1965 like this.
  13. cowboy dann

cowboy dann Well-Known Member

I have contemplated this myself. But I can say that it is in my blood and can't see quitting , ever. After 27 years with WERA , last year I ran some of my best laps and had the most fun in probably 5 years.Go with what your heart says, not your head.

14. Buell1965

boy howdy on the getting lapped by some fast boys and girls and done learned i wasnt as fast as i thought i was lol and its all good since the street doesnt do it for me any more but what does is the smell of race fuel and a bunch of people that like going fast even if i aint one of them .

BigBird likes this.
  15. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

I was gonna stop motorcycle racing after this past season and stop cars after 2021. Only got out twice with all the stuff we went through with my mom this year (didnt get out once for the cars other than a couple trackdays). Both times were just not fun. Last year wasnt great either. 2018 was bad also (bent the trailers axle AT the track, back acting up, ill constantly when bike weekends came up).

Gonna try one more season with bikes and maybe another 2 in cars. If I dont have fun on 2 wheels again, I'll just sell the bikes, strip the trailer out and put up new ply on the inside and sell it that way. Doubt a trailer built up will be easy to sell vs a std cargo trailer.

16. Buell1965

I love AHRMA and yes its not the win at all costs kinda thing and i get to run the CB350 that is semi competitive and a hoot to rail around like a fat kid on a bicycle .

vfrket likes this.
  17. Buell1965

hey RD it aint a 750 duck but i do have a 900 that you can if u want the early rounds Tally , Barber or road Atlanta would be at your beckon and call .. kinda wanna see if i can best your best bourbon with my secret stash .

rd400racer likes this.
  18. Buell1965

oops forgot to add that i got my ass handed to me at my first race at tally in 2019 sept by them blood thirsty animals .

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  19. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Started racing at 42, and I just turned 53. No plans to quit anytime soon. I love it even more now than when I started.

Laz, KneeDragger_c69 and Buell1965 like this.
  20. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

+1 for AHRMA, there's lots of track time available, and there's a class for almost everything.

Another bonus of racing AHRMA is nobody looks at you sideways if you sleep in a homemade trailer that resembles a coffin, do more drinking than riding, or wear chaps on the track!

Phl218, rd400racer and Buell1965 like this.