1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seriously...when is it time to quit?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Nov 17, 2020.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I've been mustering up the words to type this for about a week now. Even though I've been very far from a prolific racer, I try to show up at the best every couple of years and then race for maybe a season or two and then repeat the cycle. My most recent race was last year at the September Nelson event and had a wonderful time even though I was on a slow as shit bike. I sold that bike soon after figuring something else would come along.

Well, that time is now and I find myself asking if I really want to continue. First off, in my head I feel that by even asking the question, I've already answered that I'm done. Truth is, I never really raced to compete against others as much as I enjoyed the camaraderie at the track. Maybe that's my issue...I never really cared about winning as much as I cared about having fun. Now I'm beginning to think that the amount of time that I spend getting everything ready for what amounts to a couple of hours track time is even worth it any more.

So what was it that finally checked you out of the game?

Killswitch and Buell1965 like this.
  2. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

When it isn’t fun or you can’t afford it or you want to to do something else.

I took basically 2 seasons off but now I have a mad boner for “the jazz” that is only available from road racing. But I did ask myself the question several times so I don’t think just asking the question is a sign.

jlawrider, j cal, RossK6 and 3 others like this.
  3. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

I stopped because of a heart issue. Otherwise, it would be the day I started questioning my want to. Mind not 100% focused on it, stay off a track...imo.

Razr likes this.
  4. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Just do track days?

jlawrider and ducnut like this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There is no such thing as quitting, just periods where you don't race. Some can be short as the off season, some can be years long.

You also don't need to race to come hang at the track. We're always looking for help.

6. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

I quit when it stopped being fun. If my health improves I may give it another shot, but until then I am just fine on the sidelines.

7. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Try not to look at it as "quitting". Yes, a pro rider who is reaching the end of their career may actually "quit" in that after they walk away, they will never be able to compete at that level again. But someone who races for fun? Just don't do it until you feel like it again. If you don't that's fine too.

When I "quit", I kept up my racing license for a while, then carried the expired card in my wallet for a while... But always figured I could start back up when I wanted to. Went with a friend to help him out at a track day and ended up buying new leathers, a bike, etc. and did that for a little while. Now I'm not doing that. Maybe I will again sometime.

I guess I'm saying it isn't like you can't step back into it if you miss it.

tl1098 and rd400racer like this.
  8. rd400racer

That a real good point Sean and something that I considered. What has me questioning is that I've found a bike that looks like a blast to race, but I can't say my heart is in it 100%. Track days do nothing for me. I participated in one because my son needed track time and it was just boring

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well, get the bike, see if it is a blast and if not park it until you can't resist the call again.

Shenanigans and rd400racer like this.
  10. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I raced for a championship 10 years ago and that was very exciting. I was dedicated and focused and that was the best time I had at the track. After I crashed and hurt myself, the Eye of the Tiger wasn't there anymore. I still enjoyed the time on track but mostly had fun in the pits. Now I spectate or do endurance races as a wildcard on occasion. If I get the urge, I do a trackday and that's enough for me. I never really called it officially quits, but I know it will never be the same, and that's fine.

jlawrider, 418, Razr and 3 others like this.
  11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Maybe try one more? You might feel differently about it now that the desire to race has faded away.

rd400racer likes this.
  12. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

^This 100%. The way I see it, I probably got another couple of years of racing left in me, but once I stop (whether temporary or permanently), I'll still be involved in racing one way or another. I may look at working for a racing org, or maybe volunteer at MotoAmerica events, or sponsor a rider and travel to MotoAmerica races with that team, etc.

BigBird and rd400racer like this.
  13. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

That or just race practices so you can either help Mongo or buddies and still ride without the hefty costs.

14. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

It depends on your drive and passion !

I stopped racing in 2000 but did odd trackdays (with my street bike) here and there... Can't even say I did more then 2 a year till 2009, when I built a racing bike to get back into it (trackdays)

End of 2009 decided that racing was what I needed and not trackdays. Fucken retards out there !!! :confused:

So fast forward 11 years later and here I still am. o_O lol

It depends in your desire to drag your knee, to catch up and pass the guy in front of you and so on ! :Putter:

15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

when your wife lays down the law saying "you cant afford it:blart: and theres dishes & laundry piling up:Poke:!"

jlawrider and BigBird like this.
  16. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

We quit when it started to turn into a chore. I miss the people more than the racing. I'll probably race Wera vintage or Ahrma again some day. The good thing about vintage bikes is that they can't get outdated. You can park them for years and they won't get any more obsolete.

Edit: Track days suck.

RichB and BigBird like this.
  17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You've quit numerous times. Are you ready to start?

18. rd400racer

:crackup:Bastard!

Nigel made a good point. Maybe I'm focusing too much on the chore factor and not enough on the fun factor.

19. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I quit again after last year's GNF, but I didn't get rid of my leathers or anything. I sold a couple of racebikes this year, but still have a couple of vintage bikes wired and available in the garage. I also picked up another SV, cause it was cheap. But I am done racing, I mean it, really!!!
    I had a great time working at the GNF this year. I did tech and pitout and whatever Emily told me to do. Hanging out, drinking some beers, having some food at Stickboys and smoking some cigars, did not suck.

RichB, JJJerry and rd400racer like this.
  20. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Retired/ran out of money/racing org in Phx was about done for. Last turned a wheel in anger 10 years ago; Nov 10, 2010.