1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on: Racing over my head - Super Hooligans?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kurlon, Jun 1, 2023.

1. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

The hard part is done! Now you just ride!

Sorry, what's your name? we need to be able to follow the results.

notbostrom likes this.
  2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I'm Josh Coombs, 771 Racing. And a friend is bailing me out with warmers, so one crisis averted. Time to cool down, get food delivered and recover for tomorrow morning.

Gino230, stk0308, motion and 2 others like this.
  3. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Only buell out there and probably down a chunk of hp vs the other bikes

pjzocc likes this.
  4. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Topping out at 126mph, touch above 6k RPM in top gear and just won't go any faster. That said, the HP deficit isn't what's holding the bike back... I have a list from the book of excuses ready to go, but really I just don't have seat time on the bike to know it, and dropping in on a new track with this level of competition isn't the smart way to figure things out. Plus I overheated myself in Q1, came in for the red flag, knew I wouldn't be safe to go back out so had to do the long push of the bike to park ferme in full leathers in that heat and it pushed me over the limit. The Mission Foods people lent me a chair, then the Indian team helped me into their rig and AC, threw an ice water vest on me and kept handing me pedialyte and water, cannot thank them enough, or poor Ritchie who was dragging my stands around trying to figure out where I was.

Net result I'm in the B main on Sunday, got one practice to try and figure the track and bike out then have at half an hour later.

G2G, MattTries, Gino230 and 7 others like this.
  5. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Zero fucks given on Sunday. The hard part is done. Relax hydrate and ride it like you stole it. A lot of us here thrilled for you. You have a bigger fan club than you even know.

6. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Missed pit out by 2 seconds, so had to start from hot pit along with two others. Ended up 5th in the B Main, am dead tired but grinning like an idiot.

7. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Damn, been traveling a ton so missed this post and could've saved you a ton of aggravation (but it seems like you got things sussed out).

And congrats on making it happen on Sunday - that's super impressive!

8. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Awesome man!! Congrats! Maybe after my kids get out of the house I can do something similar. :D

9. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

you going to be in NJ for the last round? I'll stop by the pits sometime if you are there..

SuddenBraking likes this.
  10. Dominguez44

Dominguez44 Well-Known Member

Man I wish you would have reached out to me even tho you really dont know me, I had some extra hands on deck and would have let you pit with me. I was already helping a new STOCK 1000 racer with his first event.
    Danny Dominguez (aka Dustin's dad) Super Hooloigan #722

11. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I am confused as to how this class works. There were never more than 14 riders under the 110% cutoff in any session, yet 31 racers were allowed to start in the A main- more than half the field was granted a provisional start?

I'm thinking the B main would have been 30 people with the "Main" race only 14- not a good look.

Meanwhile in Twins, if you are under 110% in practice but not under the 110% in the actual qualifying sessions, they are denying provisional starts. Sending 10 people home every weekend. And that's with Rocco going so damn fast that he would be on the 3rd row in Supersport on his Twins bike. We don't get a B main.

Do the fans love the hooligans so much that MA is willing to drop the whole "this is a professional series" Line?

I see they DQ'd one of the Ducs, wondering if that was the same bike I saw in Laguna that was blatantly illegal for the class. 848 chassis with air cooled engine.

You're damn right I'm jealous!

evakat likes this.
  12. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Yes it's that loved, and I think it'll be a lot more strict next year

13. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I think the cutoff is larger than 110%. Baggers is 115% and I can’t find Super Hooligan cutoff in the rules. I also don’t see where the B-main concept is spelled out either. If you find it let me know.

14. Dominguez44

Dominguez44 Well-Known Member

Qualifying for hooligans is "115% of 5th place qualifier" weird but that how they set the grid.
    I was close to a conversation and overheard the B main will prob be going away next year. The only reason for B main is the "class in a class", the 115% of 5th cuts out most of the air cooled series who are running for points in their own class. From what i heard you will qualify or go home like the other classes.
    YES THE FANS LOVE IT! I had no idea an sv1000 had such a following, people love the Harleys and Indians a lot!
    Your on the right page for the DQ.

As I've said before 55yrs old grandfather of 3.6 (one on the way) and weigh 2tooomuch 225lbs raced for 37yrs and am having a blast!.
    Its a really fun class.
    Danny

E Reed, Rising, Gino230 and 2 others like this.
  15. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

It’s generating entries which brings in a license app and $350 a rider per event, people seem to love it, I’d just plan for the B main at every round and when entries somehow don’t justify it, you’ve got padding in your schedule. They could have run us all in the main at COTA and we’d only be lapped once, in the practice/qual sessions I still had TONS of solo time despite way faster people being out there at the same time, long track is looooong. It’s also a class that currently doesn’t have direct matching classes in regular club racing, so not as easy to direct these bikes there as an alt… I’m tired and rambling but TLDR I think they should maintain the current policy unless we hit the point of needing a C main.

That said, I’ve made it to Nashville, and am dead tired. Won’t be going to NJ as SH isn’t running there, otherwise that would have been the ‘easy’ round for me to get to.

And to everyone I didn’t get to meet, clearly the event needs to be longer OR we get Mongo to stand up a WERA booth at each round for us to talk up about showing up to but then avoid all weekend in fear of getting called out for past forum transgressions.

Rising, Monsterdood and Gino230 like this.
  16. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

In our local org, the SH class has a great sponsor and pays second only to the very top Gold Cup races! And only 3 guys run it. Hmmm, what should an old-brittle-guy like me do?

17. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Well, the answer is always 'Busa... but in this can an exception can be made for beating people up with an XB. :D