1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on: Racing over my head - Super Hooligans?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kurlon, Jun 1, 2023.

1. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

For some reason I've now got the stupid idea that I need to do Super Hooligans at least once. I don't have a bike for it yet, or a budget, a plan, or even an active road racing license this year so clearly I'm off to a great start. That said, the itch is there so I'm reading rules and pondering. Anyone got experience with that group and have tips/etc to share?

BrentA and ToofPic like this.
  2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

they have a real series about racing quads and D-bikes thru the streets of B-more?

Damn. White folks try to make money off'n errything.

:D

3. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

[​IMG]

sanee and noles19 like this.
  4. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Sounds fun!

5. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I would look at the rules and then look at the KTM 890. And the new KTM that is rumored to be coming out, if that comes to reality and fits the rules of 125hp I'd go with the new KTM.
    I've raced against the 890 and it's a super cool bike.
    I've looked at the class and this would be my plan.

Gino230 likes this.
  6. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I have a Pan America, I’ve just hit 1900mi on it and boy… I’d love to flog it… but I can’t justify buying one to race when it’s likely I’ll at best be able to hit two rounds a year and it’d be heavily out classed in any local series. Given the spread of bikes that run currently, and the spread of paces I’m less worried about the bike at the moment, I’m more curious about logistics, costs, etc outside of ‘get licensed, get to the track, pay entry’, any do’s and don’ts with that crowd, etc.

noles19 likes this.
  7. Dominguez44

Dominguez44 Well-Known Member

I'm doing it this year. I bought an sv1000 2003 naked version. Its a blast!!
    Licensing is super simple for this class...even a novice license holder can get a Roland Sands Super Hooligan license.
    PM if I can help.

8. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Bike rules look nice and straight forward, who's rules are they using for gear?

9. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

We built a KTM that we've done some testing on and is going to race at the Laguna round. Parts are difficult to get. Being creative with the ballast presents its own set of challenges.

10. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Assuming you're talking about MotoAmerica Super Hooligans- Everything with MA is easy, but often a little confusing and takes many steps. But MotoAmericaregistration.com has all the links. Some will take you to the AMA site for rulebooks and licensing, other links will take you to MotorsportReg.com for credentials, registration etc. Then there's competitor bulletins, fuel order forms, and individual round bulletins on the MA site.

All of that said, it's not hard. Do it. It's worth it to be a part of the event just from a fan perspective. YMMV of course.

Feel free to DM me for help.

11. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Time to go bike shopping...

12. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

^^Duh...^^

13. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

After looking at the rules, why shouldn't I be tracking down a Buell XB Lightning?

14. six6two

six6two AWD

The XB should be pretty competitive... I raced one with them at Sturgis a few years ago and was quick enough for it's dirt debut.. would be a riot on some pavement but SERIOUSLY needs a shorter rear shock.. thing will spit you to the moon otherwise. Hooligan racing is a TON of fun... but not nearly as much fun as it was before everybody started building motors and buying KTMs! That said, I think theres some pretty trick S&S goodies you could fit into the XB.. should be fun!!!

15. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Well, this escalated quickly. I have my competition number, and may be helping bring an old former AMA Thunderbolt back to life...

motion, six6two and stk0308 like this.
  16. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

I feel a tingle, the malemaltoe is coming back!

17. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Ahahaha! That's a nickname I've not heard in a long time. If I make round four in TX, we have to get together.

18. six6two

six6two AWD

Epic! Pics or it didn't happen!!!

19. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Still working out details, looks like the bike is actually an S1, need to confirm the year, then get it put back together. It's a box of parts after dropping a valve, and some of the parts have wandered, hopefully should be a good kit once back together. I won't be able to make Laguna, goal is to debut at Texas.

20. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Just watched some COTA Moto America footage... of course the track I pick to debut at will be nice and technical. Top speed down to 1st into a corner you don't see the exit of from the entrance, sure... why not. Oh, a couple spots like that, lovely. And me, with no slipper... on something that likely has all the engine braking... hello learning curve, why you gotta be so steep? I'd love to make Laguna, but I just don't see getting the bike assembled and tested in time for that to be a reality. Plus, I've never driven across the entire US, going half way to TX seems like a better baby step.

Looking at MA's paddock regs, wow... that section of the rulebook is larger than most club's entire rulebook. Not being able to have my trailer in my allotted space seems obnoxious, might be time to invest in a track cart and scooter to schlep things back and forth. Do they hold the SH people to the MA crew uniform and leather badging standards?

six6two likes this.