1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on Motorhomes

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Getting stuff in an RV is easy, WalMarts even allow overnight parking.

2. Never needed to go to the store. That's the beauty of having the "2nd home" at the track. You can full stock the fridge, closets, etc before leaving.

But I have stopped at Walmart a few times on the way in the RV. Walmarts are easy. Even slept in one before (like Mongo said).

Bruce, TurboBlew and 5axis like this.
  3. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Was pondering the same thing but my RV was the same price new as a new truck capable of towing a 30ft trailer

Bruce likes this.
  4. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

That's how we got into ours. There are a lot of nice rigs on racing junk for SuperDuty $. ( or less )

5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Inspected a local option, price is under budget, both sides show major external delamination. A WERAite shared with me his unit, absolutely gorgeous but over budget for me... bah.

6. After doing both, IMO the RV+trailer combo is the best option.

With a toy hauler there is always a sacrifice. I've never seen a 45' toy hauler with a really nice 25' living quarters and a separate 20' garage.

You either end up with a trailer that has a little place to sleep, or a big living area with a small place to keep a bike. Mine was 41' with a 10' garage, and I still didn't like it.

With the RV+T I get a 38' living area and 18' garage; no compromise.

5axis and Bruce like this.
  7. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I am in a situation where I'm going to HAVE to make sacrifices somewhere though. 38' of living area sounds wonderful, but it won't physically fit on my property, and nothing I have now will pull an 18' garage trailer. That's why I'm leaning towards the all in one solution. I only need room for 1 person to sleep, room for two bikes, and it needs to fit where a small SUV + 6x10 goes now. If I could go no compromises I'd have a new super C + trailer setup already. :D

8. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

The Thor Outlaw 29h seems to be the closest thing available today to the old Fun Movers. Not sure if they drive any better.

9. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

The modern rigs almost seem... too fancy for my tastes? I'm expecting something I'm going to crawl into in sweat soaked, possibly muddy leathers and matching ew under armor to 'explode' out of, and unwind. I dunno if I can do that with crystal panel cherry cabinetry, a tile kitchen floor with hardwood elsewhere, fancy upholstered everything... :D

Edit: I also don't know how well slide-outs will play with tight parking at NHMS. Also one more thing to leak / break.

10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

My thought exactly.. That's why I just got a Race Trailer with AC...

11. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

That is the age old dilemma of course. We chose truck + TH because we also like to go regular camping, and would not like to just sit at the campground for 3 days. Rather go explore the town. Having kids we can't just bring a street motorcycle with to get around.

The other perk is now we have a 3rd vehicle (the truck) to be able to run to Home Depot or use in a pinch if your car breaks down or whatever.

But I am jealous of the RV's when they are actually going down the road! I'm sure it makes the longer drives quite a bit easier.

Bruce likes this.
  12. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Yep. Sure cuts down on downtime when your spouse can get you another cup of coffee and take a leak without having to find a place to stop.

Bruce and Gorilla George like this.
  13. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

You just described my Sprinter van...

14. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Heh, add the caveat that I want to be able to arrive somewhere, put it in park and just go to bed without unloading anything. :D

Gorilla George likes this.
  15. Tristan

Try again, mine is set up to do just that! Now, if you want to shit in the same metal box that you sleep in- knock yourself out.

16. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

17. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

18. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Bruce likes this.
  19. Tristan

A few updates since these pics, but basic layout is the same.

http://s621.photobucket.com/user/racerrrrx/library/Sprinter

Honestly, if I had the space and budget it would be nice to add a 6x12 trailer and expand the living area. It is great not having to dick with a trailer though.

panthercity likes this.
  20. Tristan

Yeah, no way I'd pay $50K for a used Fiat....nice as it is. I'd start with a used T350 long/tall and roll my own.