1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on Motorhomes

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Apr 17, 2014.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

2. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I'll never understand that design concept. lol!

3. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Reviving this thread, any good recommendations for finding RV's? Seems rvtrader.com and rvt.com are popular sites. Racing Junk too. Anything else?

Thanks.

4. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Know what are you looking for? Class A/B/C/SuperC??? Budget?

FWIW- the two you listed seemed to be real good sources.

5. Wait until Broome gets a scratch on his windshield and grab his out of the trash?

:Poke:

Eskimo, R Acree and ekraft84 like this.
  6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

:crackup:I was just going to suggest getting his on fire sale the first time the black water tank needs to be emptied.

Venom51 and ekraft84 like this.
  7. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Class A diesel. Budget TBD.

Those two seem to be the most popular, so far ..

8. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

If your looking at older ones I have one I want to get rid of to move back to a tow behind.

99 Momaco Diplomat 38" Single slide 5.9 Diesel

[​IMG]

ekraft84 likes this.
  9. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Really? Why are you going back to a trailer?
    I always thought an A with a small cargo trailer was the perfect setup.

10. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

We are camping with the kids and we take along the golf cart. I rather have the freedom of having my truck once we get somewhere. I have had them all and just prefer a smaller toy hauler. 24 ft with a front bedroom full bath and open gargae area would be ideal for me.

t11ravis likes this.
  11. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

If it doesnt sell though it wont hurt my feelings I'll keep using it.

t11ravis likes this.
  12. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Wow. You just made me love my Raptor that much more!

SmokeSignalRT likes this.
  13. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

We looked everywhere and ended up looking at about 20 different RVs. Anything from dealerships to roadside sales 15 of them were JUNK (might be due to budget) but ended up with one from a craigslist add. Its like buying a used bike, if it seems junk walk away, if it looks like the rest of your stuff get out the checkbook. We should have bought one sooner. I am sure you'll say the same after having one.

5axis and ekraft84 like this.
  14. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

Call up norm at nationalrv Detroit. Dude has hooked about 5 of us up.

ekraft84 likes this.
  15. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/ is one of my favorite window-shopping sites. There's not as much room for negotiation on pricing though - apparently they price them near rock-bottom to move them quickly. There's also a search to see what a certain unit has sold for.. good for reference. Yeah, they're in Texas, but what's a little road trip? :)

16. Ive already texted this stuff to Eddie. But for the sake of getting info in this thread, this is what I have learned about mine after using it for a few weekends....

1. My biggest gripe is that one A/C unit is in the living room and the other is in the kitchen. I wish one of them was in the bedroom. I like it around 63-65deg or I cant sleep and it is always warmer in the bedroom because the units are up front. Of course the central ducts go into the bedroom, but it isn't the same.

2. Try to find one without a lot of bullshit you don't need. It is hard, because just like vehicles, you will be hard pressed to find one with leather seats that aren't heated (for example). When you go with luxury packages, they tend to include a lot of unnecessary shit. Built-in central vacuum system (where you plug the hose into the wall like at the house), external satellite TV dish, LED lights in the door handles, bullshit like that. I don't need any of that shit. If you can hold out for one that has what you want, but doesn't have shit you don't want, you can save a good bit of money.

3. Have plenty of 50amp cord available. You might not always be able to orientate things exactly how you want them in the paddock, and extra cord is handy.
    I like these. They are 36' so you get a lil extra cord vs the 25' ones, but they are still easy to handle. I think I have 7 or 8 of these (because the trailer uses 50amp supply also).
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GXQ6EK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4. Get some spare gas jugs and when you stop for diesel (wait till the last possible truck stop prior to arriving at the track), fill up some jugs with diesel. If you cant use track power, the generator runs off the same diesel tank as the motor, so you want it as full as possible. And I always have an extra 15-20gal of diesel in the trailer. I don't want to run low during the weekend and have to get a ride to the store.

5. Make sure the Inverter is wired up to the fridge so you can power the fridge while doing down the road instead of running the generator. Mine is like that, but the guy at the RV dealership said some of them aren't.

6. Make sure it has an automatic leveling system. My TH didn't have one and it was a pain in the dick. I like being able to just push 1 button in the RV and the jacks come down and it levels itself (just have to stand still while it is doing its thing).

Seems like there is more, but that is all I can think of right now.

ekraft84 likes this.
  17. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Holy balls. What are you, a white walker?

V5 Racer and ekraft84 like this.
  18. Oh yeah, driving an RV is kinda different because the wheels go back up underneath the fender and they are really damn big and wide. So it is kinda difficult to judge how much room you have (you will think you are off the road, but the wheels are still on it) if you have never driven one. So here is what I did in the very beginning to help me get used to it.....

It helps if the road your house is on is pretty dead, if not you can do it when you first start to go somewhere....

Sit in the drivers seat and get the seat arranged how you want it for driving. Then pull the RV on the road so the wheels are 12" or so from the side of the road (about where you would want them when you are driving). Have somebody standing outside to confirm the placement of the wheels. Then have the person come inside and take a sticker or something (I used a clear suction cup) and put the suction cup directly in your line of sight with the white line of the road.

With that in place, I knew that if I put that suction cup on the white line, my wheels were placed exactly where they needed to be and I was centered on the road (or biased to the outside, rather than hugging the centerline).

Now I can drive it by "feel" and don't need that reference point anymore. But in the first trip it helped a lot.

19. My metabolism is super high. I sweat a lot. If it is 70deg I will lay there sweating and will never sleep.

20. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

I enjoy window shopping new Renegades, but have come to appreciate the simplicity of our old toter. The RV stuff is basic and not too hard to service. The Kenworth side is easy to get worked on at any HDT shop. ( this is a big plus for super Cs vs class A )

A nice plus on toters is having engine brakes. They make maintaining following distance in traffic much easier and hills safer, while not cooking your brakes.

Plus having the jakes popping makes us sound like real big riggers. LOL