School me on enclosed trailer set-up

Discussion in 'General' started by L8 Braker, Mar 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

I've bounced back and forth for several years over buying some type of TRS. Currently I use a Baxley and four tie downs to secure the bike. I now have two single sided swing arm bikes, along with a conventional swing arm bike and several dirt bikes. I have considered putting a couple of TRS for the street bikes (and track) but I have a question about the axle pins. For the SSSA, how do you put the axle pins in when the stand is on? It seems like I would have to take the stand off to put the pins in. I need to be independent (or at least keep the operation to a one man effort), so If there is no kickstand, I would need to put the bike in the Baxley chock to hold it up while I fit the axle pins. So I need to drag it with me anyway. There has got to be a more elegant solution?
    Has anyone used both the Moto-D strapless and the PitBull TRS? The Moto-D ones look easy when you back the bike into it, but a pain in the ass to use if you are loading the bike front wheel first. I don't have a lot of confidence backing the bike up the ramp by myself as I am not a big dude and it looks like a great way to drop the bike. The TRS seems like a better system once you get the pins in the axle.

2. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Can't comment on SSSA, but ours pin to the bike before loading. Then you drop it into the plate clamps. I do it all the time by myself, into a low roof van.

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I have the original strapless setup. Not a fan of it at all...lol. Especially if you want to load your bikes facing the direction your trailer travels. Only advantage is has over the TRS is that you can adapt it to other bikes pretty easy and in a pinch and it mostly stays in the trailer. If you had a few of the TRS pins... then there is no advantage to the Strapless.

The baxley works well for any & everything. 4 straps well I wouldnt bother with that many. If the chock is secure & 2 straps on it... short of getting T-boned the bike will not come out of it.

4. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

How do you typically tie your bikes with the Bacley? I've wondered if it was securely bolted how well it would hold the bike on its own.

5. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

On a standard swing arm the bike is lifter by spools under the swing arm leaving the axle exposed. On sssa bikes, the stand lifts from the center of the axle which means wrestling with the pins while holding the bike up.

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I guess most of the important stuff has been well covered by now :)

But I'll definitely reiterate that the only regret any person (myself included) has made about buying and implementing a Pitbull TRS system is that they hadn't done it sooner. As was already mentioned (with respect to it somehow causing unnecessary stress/damage to bearings?), where do you think the design for the TRS came from. It was adapted from restraint systems that factory race and GP teams have used for years and years to hold down the bikes during transport. Strapping down your front end with tie does does put excessive compression on the springs and I've heard it can sack them out over time, but that's generally only when they are left strapped down for extended periods of time. Although I don't know what qualifies as "extended periods of time". A day? A week?

As far as bike placement, as I understand it the best location is with the bike(s) centered over the trailers axles to best balance the weight. Wheeling the bike all the way forward into the nose of the trailer has the double negative effect of putting excessive weight on the trailer tongue and it also means you have empty the trailer out to get to bike out. And also as was said move it to the right or left to maximize space and ability to fit larger objects, if its sitting in the middle of the trailer you kind of negate that.

Attached Files:

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Usually a canyon dancer (with cups) just barely cinched on sportbikes. On dirtbikes... just clipped to the bars. The baxley will hold the bike without the straps with 17" wheels or the chock adjusted to the wheel size. Its happened to me twice...lol.

The only chock more "useful" on either front or rear tire is the Bike Grab. When the grab portion is properly adjusted... no straps needed.

8. It holds the bike on its own while sitting in the pits and stuff, there is no way in hell i would haul the bike using the Baxley as a standalone unit. It is NOT as solid as the TRS. The bike can still fall over if enough force is applied.

When using the Baxley for transport, i strap it down just like it was in any other chock. I put straps on the bars and also straps coming off the subframe or rearsets to keep the back end from bouncing around. The only difference is that with the Baxley, i dont have to worry about it falling over while i am putting the straps on. It is great for that, but there is no way i would haul it without straps.

9. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

So what about getting the pins in the Pani? I'm sure you've got help, is there s realistic way for one person to do it without a kickstand?

10. I don't know, i havent tried it yet. Livengood brought all the bikes with him to Talladega, then he took the Panigale back with to go into the Forks again before the next weekend. So i havent actually had to transport it yet.

I guess if it is too hard, you could put the Baxley chock into the trailer (where the bike ends up a few inches in front of where it needs to be to be in the TRS base), pull the bike into the chock, then install the TRS bracket...then roll it backwards a lil bit, then lower the TRS bracket to the ground, then pull the bike forward into the base.

11. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Used to use two straps straight down from the footpegs to e-track on the floor. No more e-track so now I use 4 straps wherever I can hook them.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Strapping a bike/pit bike/atv/whatever down is not the time to get lazy or cheap. There is absolutely no reason NOT to use four strap on your race bike. You can't hurt it by tying it down too much. A Baxley alone is absolutely not enough. A TRS is absolutely enough so if you're going to be lazy, don't be cheap (my personal choice :D).

13. So much this.

14. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Don't like canyon dancers, seen too many broken throttle tubes. Much prefer straps around the fork/triples, or baxley and strap on the pegs. TRS rocks though, roll it in and you're done.

15. Different subject...

Anybody know how much E-track (on the wall) is rated for? Like how much weight can you have hanging off of it?

And those tire rack things that are mounted on the walls, how much are they rated for? The trailer has an 8' one built onto the wall, but damn those walls are thin. I could fill it up with spare wheels and tires, but will it really hold all of that? I don't want to show and see my shit piled all over the floor and on top of the bikes.

[​IMG]

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed. I really like soft ties around the lower triples then hook the straps to them.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've held a full dress Harley with e-track screwed to FRP side walls every other hole. FRP is fiberglass reinforced plywood - no studs.

Why would anything be hanging from the e-track that weighs a bunch anyway?

Tires themselves don't weight a lot nor do your spare wheels for your bikes, you could fill it and it'll hold.

18. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

That looks so off balance with a tire rack only on one side. That would drive me nuts.:p

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well of course he'll have to weight every tire and rim, add in the weight of the rack itself and then make sure to put a proper amount on the far left to counter balance it all :D