School me on enclosed trailer set-up

Discussion in 'General' started by L8 Braker, Mar 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

In all my years, I only had open trailers. I finally bought an enclosed (V-nose) and I'm looking for set-up advice. I only run one bike so I have the front wheel chock centered. The only other permanent fixture inside is the spare tire that is mounted in the front left of the trailer.

Any advice is appreciated :)

2. You wanting to know about cabinets or power supply or e-track and stuff like that?

Or are you wanting to know the best way to arrange/orientate stuff for balance?

3. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

How big is the trailer? What else needs to go in other than the bike?

4. Mran556

Mran556 Well-Known Member

Forget the wheel chock its just going to get in the way of everything unless its way at the front. Are you going to sleep in it? Pittbull trs is the way to go.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  5. SamG

SamG yellow plate for life!!

Another +1 for the TRS. I have a 16', and a few weeks ago we had 4 bikes in it, 3 had to have wheel chocks. I couldn't tell you how many times I tripped over those damn things.

6. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

The only downside I can think of about the TRS is if you drill and install the base plate and then change your mind where you want it, been there, done that, do some thinking first.

In my now gone 7'x18' V-nose (no bottom cabinets in the front) I could get up to 5 bikes in but I had side doors on both sides and a ramp door in the front on one side of the V, so in and out and stuff tied off on side the walls was easier to access, it was still too tight, 4 bikes was easy and in and out for bikes and gear was easy.

7. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

Not getting TRS. Chock is centered up front.

Want to know where people are mounting their leathers and placing their helmet. Generator and tool box placement and how they're being secured, etc.

8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I think you've taken a small space and made what's useable even smaller by putting the bike in the center. Pick a side for the bike. I prefer to put a single bike on the left...there's more chance of the trailer's right side hittin' uneven/busted/potholed shoulders of the road that could wrench things loose.
    Removable chocks are available and convenient when using the trailer for other purposes or other bikes. Not bashing the TRS, but aren't they bike specific?
    Tie-down points should be through-bolted and backed with fender washers or plates.

Get some grid paper and start layin' out your "to scale" equipment. If I have a bunch of stuff, I sometimes find it easier to make cut-outs of everything to play with different placements. That way, I'm not wastin' time with new drawings and/or lots of erasing.
    I center bikes slightly forward of the axle for weight distribution, in case that's the only thing in the trailer.

9. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

You've already made a big mistake by not using an axle mount stand and putting the bike centered up front. Not ripping but the voices of experience are talking from both space and weight distribution perspectives.

As for where you go from here, I suggest searching for toy hauler in this forum also:

http://tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=42

Yes, removable chocks are good to use as secondary options. I also did a paper grid drawing and used scale 2d models of layouts before installing anything because its faster and more convenient than doing same on a computer.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    Joe Lopez and TSC_113 like this.
  10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I guess the bike forward in the nose, if that's where you put it, alleviates a lot of rough road influence. Gotta empty the trailer to get it out, tho, right?

How big/small is the trailer?

11. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

In smaller trailer/truck combos it also puts a lot of weight on the tongue. This can lead to trailer dive under braking lifting the front of the car leading to less available braking/steering when you need it most.

12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

pitbull makes a nice leather hanger rack for about $30. super secure. Mount it near an inlet vent so you can get moderate ventilation on the leathers for the drive home
    nice raxx is a must for getting stands off floor
    E track in select area(s) like the sides & floor corners.
    Maybe a shelf to hold your helmet.

13. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

All this talk of TRS being the only choice or you're a moron makes me wonder how the old race teams (or anyone, for that matter) ever got motorcycles from point A to point B during the last few decades. Or how they still accomplish the towing task today.

14. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

Damn good info. Thanks.

15. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

You can bash the TRS all you like. But the fact is, it's just a better mouse trap for small spaces

16. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

One of those hanging shoe holder things that normally go inside a closet are very useful. Secure it top and bottom on the wall, great for cans, wire etc.

17. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Hes not bashing TRS as much as defending his choices after admitting hes a total newbie. People also used to ride their race bikes to the track, and the Daytona 200 was run on the beach.

18. baconologist

gotta steal that one!

19. baconologist

ah, It is an expensive pill to swallow up front. But man the time, hassle and energy it's saved packing up on Sun.

Joe Lopez and Phl218 like this.