1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Robotic mower experience?

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Sep 13, 2023.

1. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

There is a house next to the golfcourse that has a husqvarna one. Shittiest looking cut out of all the homes there. We're talking 2+million dollar homes lining a golf course, with stripped and professional done lawns, and then there's this guy. For the average suburban lawn I think it would be pretty great though. For your parents if they're not picky on cut quality, it would sure be pretty helpful. I'm sure they'll get better as time goes on, but the randomness and inefficiency of the motion drives the Machinist in me bonkers......

I want one that I can program for different patterns. My Son and I have actually talked about building one. I'll handle the mechanical (tracked skidsteer, all hydraulic), and he can figure out the programming as a highschool project. I told him we need to figure it out before he moves out or he doesn't get all the college money :D. I want to be able to draw a boundary on something like google maps, then program the toolpath accordingly, and have onboard sensors figure out the rest regarding obstacles etc. I have about 4acres to cut, and would probably do more if it wasn't such a time suck pain in the ass.

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

goats. If nothing else Broome will cut the grass so he can play with the goats.

KneeDragger_c69 and DJ Baker like this.
  3. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Lol.... That's exactly what I saw. Really uneven, no apparent pattern. It's like they've all gone out of control and just cut random places.

4. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

If they let me shack up in their spare bedroom, I’ll mow it for free and get that property looking like a showplace. You’d appreciate the smells of my 2T handhelds running on AV100 and Klotz. :D

5. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

This explains much.

auminer likes this.
  6. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Castrol R smells better

ducnut and BC like this.
  7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Why do Aggies wear such yuuuuuuge shoes?

Their mama told them to put on a clean pair of socks every day...

Jed likes this.
  8. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

The newer, or at least higher end, robo mowers will cut in patterns like straight lines or checkerboard. Or they will cut randomly if that is how they are set up.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Can they do paisley?

10. VR45 Troll

VR45 Troll Site Mod Upgraded to Troll. Formerly “Maximum”

Yawn. I said "trained" at Texas A&M. My degrees are from other universities.
    Im pretty impressed with the people I've met from TAM.

11. VR45 Troll

VR45 Troll Site Mod Upgraded to Troll. Formerly “Maximum”

This robot this is stupid idea unless its a gps run tractor that have an operator but those are huge and very expensive. The liability of have a large mower running around by itself like you would need for 2 acres would be large.

What if the stupid thing went full blast someplace and chopped up some little kid or crashed into your neighbors house and started it on fire.

Dumb idea. Find someone cheaper to mow the grass or sell the place and move to a condo. You have a million toys you should help out your parents if they dont have enough dough to maintain their property.

12. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

This is the yard.

[​IMG]

This is the model.

[​IMG]

Random pattern. It looks good from the street driving past, but you can see the random mow tracks when you get onto the lawn.

motion likes this.
  13. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

we've bought a couple professional grade remote control mowers at my work recently for the maintenance dudes. i think they're like $70k, but technically they could drive it around with a video game controller from their porch if they had the cash to burn.

14. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I was interested in doing this for our hilly 0.5 acre lot, but I could not find one that could cross the sidewalk to get the grass between the sidewalk and the street. That seems like it would be a liability issue with pedestrians, which might be why they don't do it. I am also not sure how it would handle the grades around our property. After all that, I would still have to go out and edge about 450ft (corner lot sidewalk + side load driveway + front walk).

15. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

That place deserves a proper treatment plan, cut height, and stripes. Beautiful home.

16. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

$100 an hour even if your parents are providing the tractor ? That's freaking insane !

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  17. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

That plot screams zero turn. I went from 4 hours with a 42” John Deere lawn tractor to hour twenty with a 52” ariens zero turn.
    it’s enjoyable now. Throw on some noise canceling headphones, and zone out for an hour and change. I’ve owned it 8 years now, bought used, a few bearings and a set of drive tires and it’s been great. Oil changes and blades as well Ofcourse.

ducnut likes this.
  18. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

$80/month here in California to mow, edge and do my hedges. Come every Friday. Looks great for the weekend.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  19. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

$75 a week here in NoVa for a roller coaster 1/2-acre corner lot with lots of edging and some trees. Probably a 30' rise from lowest corner to highest corner with stormwater run-off mandated undulations in between.

20. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Man you got a good deal. Mine is around $110-120. Still feel like that is a bargain, because he also cuts all the shrubs, pulls weeds out of flower beds, cuts palms, etc. I think my lot is 12k sq ft, so bigger for California, but small compared to where I grew up.

I moved to California, with all my mowing equipment, edgers, weed eaters, etc. Then I saw how cheaply I could pay someone else to do it, so I sold everything and haven’t done my yard in over 30 years.

ducnut and zamboiv like this.