1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Robotic mower experience?

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Sep 13, 2023.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

My parents are getting up in age and are struggling to mow their 2 acre property in Colorado. They have someone come every other week, but its $400 each time so kinda spendy. They mow every other week themselves with a riding lawn mower.

Would a nice robotic lawnmower handle this? I see them all the time in Europe, so I know people are using them effectively. What about all the obstacles, flower beds, etc?

Anyone here using one?

Here's their property:

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 11.44.41 AM copy.jpg

2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

[​IMG]

That looks reasonably flat. I have a couple of customers who use them for smaller plots and they seem to do alright around obstacles.

3. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Like poop?

4. auminer

:D

I've only seen them in the uber-manicured front lawns.

The one I saw this morning probably wouldn't handle Great Dane droppings very well. Those dogs can POOP!

Next time I go by there I'll get you the model & deets of the mower.

motion likes this.
  5. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Are there no local teens who mow lawns there?

6. VR45 Troll

VR45 Troll Site Mod Upgraded to Troll. Formerly “Maximum”

Pasture mowing is $26/acre here north of Dallas. I can't imagine you couldn't find someone with a tractor to mow it.

418 likes this.
  7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

400 bucks to mow 2 acres seems awfully high to me. 10 mowings and you've bought a decent zero turn.

418, ducnut, ToofPic and 3 others like this.
  8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

It’s $40 for a kid to come mow two postage stamp sized areas here with no edging.

the robotic mowers I’ve seen were okay for light usage and small areas but I haven’t looked at one in quite awhile, maybe they are better now.

9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

The high school kids want $100 per hour in Colorado these days.

We have a couple landscaping/plowing companies here in town. They both have huge fleets of new 3/4 ton trucks and trailers. Must be pretty good money.

Phl218 likes this.
  10. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

You're going to need at least 2 to do that. My buddy I was mentioning in another thread is mowing 20 acres of rolling land, but he's got probably 12 of them. Pretty sure they're Husqvarna. They aren't cheap, but he rarely has to do anything with them except for occasionally change the cutter.

motion likes this.
  11. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Mowing 2 acres is insane....

12. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Goats...

DJ Baker likes this.
  13. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Let's concentrate on getting the sexbots up to speed before such trivial pursuits...

I suppose "goats" is also the answer here

14. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Not when you don't have neighbours within arms reach of your house

tl1098 and auminer like this.
  15. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

How so ? I mow about 3 between the house and the shop.

16. auminer

You know, now, that someone is going to send poor Nana and paw-paw a box of missiles... Right?

17. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Let's not forget what will happen when the robot lawnmowers turn on the old folks, as they inevitably will. Is CO a 2A friendly state?

18. VR45 Troll

VR45 Troll Site Mod Upgraded to Troll. Formerly “Maximum”

Goats prefer broad leaf plants. If you need to mow the grass then you need 2 eared lawn mowers aka cattle. As a cattle rancher trained at Texas A&M you could keep 2 steers fed over the summer with your “pasture” and with hay during the winter in 20 months, with a little more work, have some nice grass fed beef ready to go to a feed lot to finish. There might be some tax benefits. Just 10,000 foot observation.

Rico888 likes this.
  19. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

What is this green stuff on pictures that you guys need to cut? :D

27 likes this.
  20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Mulch and shrubbery