1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ridesmart won't let me self tech so I'm taking my ball and going home

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by corvette95, Aug 15, 2010.

1. 418

418 Expert #59

You're assuming the tech inspector was correct in their assessment.

Being the devils advocate...

Few years ago {at barber} I had not one but two tech inspectors tell my my bike had no oil in it. Besides the fact the bike wasn't even close to level when they made their assessment, it was resting on my thigh, I had just started it in my pit area to let it warm up. The oil hadn't had the time to return to the oil sump before I took it to tech.

I graciously accepted their input {and snickering} and topped the bike off with mystery marvel oil when I got back to the pits. ;) Before going out that day I double checked my oil level after the bike set idle for a few, I had plenty of oil in the bike. Some tech inspectors need to realize that they're not God's gift to motorcycle mechanics. Funny part is one of the guys was a WERA expert and used to be a regular on this board.

Saying all that, I didn't throw a hissy fit when prompted about the state of my bike, packed my shit and stomped my way home. :D

p.s. To whoever, using OEM manual specs to set chain tension on your track bike makes as much sense as using the generic suspension set up recommendations from the OEM manual.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  2. switch

switch Active Member

the Barber RS event was amazing. that is all.

3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It's just a problem to easy to fix rather than getting all huffy and packing you shit and going home. That's also something that should be taken into account when assigning your volunteers at the day. But I realize it's hard to make sure that tech happens the same way when you may have a different group of people working at each event.

4. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

I've done several track days with Ridesmart in Texas and at Barber. They have volunteers that are there because they want to not because they are getting paid or free track time. These people spend their money and take their time to ensure that the event is as safe as possible.
    Yes there are times that even I didn't agree about my chain tension, but I decided that if I were to argue about it, it would get me nowhere. And if the allegations of the bad mouthing, foul language, and aggressiveness are true than that is childish and doesn't belong anywhere near a track. I'm sure that anyone there that day would lend the time and tools to help him and ask for nothing in return.

5. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

So what you are saying is that if the chain is at the specs provided in the manual, that you will be limiting your suspension travel. This seems a little hard to believe, but I suppose it could be true for some bikes and some manufacturers. I would find it hard to believe about all bikes form all manufacturers. If you look at the rear suspension travel on say a dirt bike it will generally greatly exceed the travel available on a street bike, yet you don't see dirt bikes with their chains that loose. I would have to believe an overly tight chain would be as dangerous on the street as on the track. If bikes were hitting bumps and crashes resulted because the chains were too tight but within specs, I would have to believe that the law suits would be all over the place.

As for my chain it is within the manufacturer's specifications (on the loose end of that range, but within it). When I put my bike on the rear stand there is still a bit of slack in the chain, so that should mean that it is good for all the travel in at least one direction. Would the chain be too tight to allow for a fully compressed shock? Next time I take the shock off for servicing I will attempt to ascertain the answer to that question.

I am no expert, so I wish some actual suspension experts would chime in on this. Maybe some already have, and I just don't know the credentials of those posting.

6. SmokeDog34

SmokeDog34 Well-Known Member

Has this ever happened ???

Tech : Thats not correct or safe for the track ..
    Racer : Screw you ! What do you know freakin frack mudder trucker
    Tech : Ok your right, Go ahead . You passed

I would say it safe to say it dont work on cops OR anyone else for that matter.

Just a life lession. Free, No charge ....

7. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

I find it sad that a "disagreement" like this can alter someones mindset so much that they cant ride safely cause their minds not in it.

And all this time I've been on here its something like this that gets me to make a post.

8. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Way too many people run thier chains too tight, anytime the bike is raised it requires more slack in the chain at rest. Remove the shock and run the rear wheel thru its travel and see where the adjusment needs to be verses taking it for granted its ok. If the chain is too tight it will stiffen the suspensionmid stroke and place undue stress on the chain and output bearing.

Tech guys detemining what proper chain tension is is a very iffy thing for me, verify the components are in good condition yeah but saying your to loose and your too tight isn't thier place.

If the tech guy told me my shit was too loose I would inform him how big a dumbass he is and tell him either to make sure he puts the sticker on straight or get me a refund. I would not pack up and leave mad because he thought my chain adjustment was incorrect.

9. Venom51

Ok...have it your way....have a nice drive home.

10. 418

418 Expert #59

Anybody else remember Aaron Yates chain coming off couple years back during a AMA SBK race? At Barber I think? He put the chain back on the sprocket with his hand, and then rolled the bike forward to force it over the sprocket; a la bicycle method.

I wonder why the chain on his Jordan Suzuki was so loose in the first place? :)

11. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I went to a trackday this weekend at Mongo's favorite track ( I won't even mention it's name for fear of being banned). Anyway, I took my MZ Skorpion, which is safety wired to WERA specs and is so clean you could eat off it. These guys had no clue what kind of bike I had brought to them. It might as well have been a Zundapp. They went over every little item in huge detail. This wouldn't have bugged me so much if I just hadn't brought my beater RZ to them which they gave a quick look and put the sticker on.

They just couldn't get over the fact that there was a bike here they had never heard of.

12. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Dont bring a loose chain to STT events... No Pass no Sticker... You should have simply tightened.. It takes what a total of 10 Minutes?? Damn...No reason to get all Huffy Puffy...

13. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

They Opened Bluegrass??? :rock:

14. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Let's just say it starts with a "P".

Bluegrass....I'll be too old to ride by the time that dream opens

15. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

I remember. I believe it was Road America.

16. XACT-Man

XACT-Man Not that fast....

So I see the OP only posted twice in this thread on the first page, 56 posts and no more posting from the OP.....nothing like bashing an org on the interweb (throwing the proverbial shit in the fan) and running......

17. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Your definition of loose and what is actually too loose can be two very different things.

18. Venom51

Yep...but in the tech shed the only definition that matters is the one of the guy holding the sticker.

19. slowmo

slowmo Well-Known Member

Ridesmart is better off w/out the guy. If he flipped out about chain tension/tech, how would he have reacted if somebody passed him too closely?

Damaged egos and emotional instability do not belong on a racetrack regardless of who's running the day.

20. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

If they're driving away guys who become pissed off and unsafe so easily, I'd like to see more trackday orgs adopt this approach.