1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Race Soft Pilot for $103

Discussion in 'General' started by mtiberio, Feb 21, 2001.

1. AnthonyDuc

AnthonyDuc Well-Known Member

Well Tracee looks like you guys are putting up a heck of a fight but I really don't think that it's going to do any good.
    Reading this thread is making me have second thoughts about being a vendor sorry guys you can't blam me for this after reading this.
    I too have been to the AHRMA races and he's right there are no vendors there.There might be a reason for this I think support might have something to do with it.We asked Walt if he would come down on a track day and help he did there was about 12 of us there he didn't sell a single tire but he did change a few at no charge and would not except any money now thats support.If you do not support you trackside vendors then you should at least support your local dealer.I'm a dealer myself and I still buy my tires trackside.Stop and think what it would be like if you didn't have your local dealer or your trackside the mailorder people would have no competition do you think the prices would still be cheap?
    Just my opinion but I'm the guy on the reciving end of this so I know what it's like.

2. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Stay away from ARHMA races then.

3. hazbin1

hazbin1 Well-Known Member

to-shay ouch that was good tracee

4. AnthonyDuc

AnthonyDuc Well-Known Member

I think maybe you didn't read all of it if you were typeing to me.

5. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

Again, since I am one of those who said I occasionally have bought mail order, I don't understand why it has to be one or the other. I buy most of my tires at the track (or get the same track vendor to ship them to me). If I find a screaming deal over the winter and get a set or two, am I being a morally reprehensible person?

My local race shop used to change my tires for free last year. I had to insist for them to finally take my money. And at that point, I had never bought anything other than oil and cleaning products there. So this winter, I took the bike there and let them do a whole lot of things I can do myself. I will cost me money I'd rather not spend, but the work will be done better and I am giving them business, so it's worth it. I'm bringing this up to explain that I too like giving business to good people. But it doesn't mean I can take advantage of a good deal on occasion.

Now dealerships, it's a whole nother story. I took my RC51 to the local dealer to have them flush the cooling system after I broke it in and was ready to go racing. Again, work I could have done myself (probably less efficiently). Approximately $150 later, I don't think I'm taking the bike back there. I'm not saying they're bad people. They're just out of my price range. I still "support" them by buying oil and filters there, but that's the extent of the business relationship. At the end of the day, if my dealer is too expensive, it doesn't matter how much I want to "help:" I just can't afford them.

6. TSR

TSR Well-Known Member

7. wera122

wera122 Guest

Nobody ever said it has to be one or the other. Pay attention when you read Frenchy!

Like I said in my last post, it's personal preference. I don't think you can generalize it. Certain track vendors don't want to deal with mounting mail order tires. They want you to buy their tires. And if you buy their tires they'll give you a break, mount/balance for free and answer all your questions.

Each person needs to look at their situation and make a decision accordingly. If I pay $300 for a set of tires that are mounted and balanced free, or $260 for the same set mail order and it costs me $40 to get them mounted/balanced there really is no savings.

It has nothing to do with moral obligation. That's YOUR issue to deal with. Make the choice that's right for you. As for me, I'm sticking with my Trackside tire vendor.

[This message has been edited by wera122 (edited 02-23-2001).]

8. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

That's where you're making the financial mistake. My buddy at the shop puts mine on for free. [​IMG] But okay, since you want recognition for your absolute, 100% total dedication to your tire vendor, I won't try to explain the finer points of taking advantage of a good deal once a year, and instead publicly command you for your admirable loyalty. [​IMG] Man, what am I gonna do with you?

FYI, you can order in the mail and still get the free mounting, if you order from your trackside distributor (which is what I do, btw. I haven't bought from MAW in years, as CLEARLY stated in my early post). I don't want to speak for all, but I know that Race Tire Services honor their commitment to mounting tires they sell, even if they ship them to you. I once placed an order for 6 tires to have some flexibility in planning (I do trackdays too, so I don't always have the luxury of trackside service) and then just took a set with me to Loudon for a race and their guys at the track put them on for free.

9. wera122

wera122 Guest

But your bike is AT the shop. Not all of us have that luxury and taking rims off, loading them in the truck, driving to the shop and back is a pain. I'd rather do it at the track.

Maybe your distributor, but not mine. It's the same price in the mail or at the track. Unless you buy bulk of course.

LIKE I SAID, PERSONAL PREFERENCE! Don't try to push your views on me hippie or I'll kick you squah in the nuts! Do what's right for you, I'll do what's right for me and quit busting my balls jackass! [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by wera122 (edited 02-23-2001).]

10. mtiberio

mtiberio Well-Known Member

lets calm down guys, folks are merely making suggestions, all opinions in this discussion are equally valid. the beauty is everyone gets to make their own choice...

boy, what I just said sounds like a bunch of feel good goobeldygook. I can't believe I said it, but I wouldn't want anyone to get in a flame fest or worse over this topic... please use whatever tire/mounting source you feel comfortable with...

11. TSR

TSR Well-Known Member

I knew that under that leather-skinned, cigar-hanging yap, there was one of those touchy-feely, tofu-eatin' commie bastards.

See, you leap into the modern-day, SV world, and you all the sudden you start lovin' your fellow man. Ya shouldda stayed Vintage! [​IMG]

12. julrich

julrich Well-Known Member

Isn't an SV just a sideways Moto Guzzi anyway?

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

LOL - you really do remember everyone don't you?

14. julrich

julrich Well-Known Member

Yes, yes I do. At least guys who win or have accomplished something. Except when I pretend not to. [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by julrich (edited 02-23-2001).]

15. TSR

TSR Well-Known Member

Is there a deeper story to this that the average reader would not pick up?

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope, just found it funny that JU remembered Mike and the bikes he rode. He's pulled other things out on occasion that I have noticed, only other person I know that remembers that many details about people is the boss. Me, I'm happy if I wake up and remember my own name...

17. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

Don't take anything that happens on the board between me and Tom too seriously. The kid is dumb as a brick, but I like him, even though it pains me greatly (almost to the point of physical pain) every time I have to use his name and the words "good friend" in the same sentence in public. [​IMG]

18. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

Oh, and Tom, my bike doesn't stay at the shop between races. I take my wheels off and drive them there like a regular mortal. I have yet to get tires mounted while the bike is in a shop.
    Repeat after me: "I didn't know what I was talking about as usual, and I am sorry. Papa, you're the man." [​IMG]

19. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

i fax my tire order in and then mount them myself at the track. oh and id be glad to do the same for any of you.

20. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

Thanks, Dude. You're a Dude.