Question??

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by JimboC, Sep 3, 2010.

1. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Paragraphs are your friend.:p

2. JimboC

JimboC Well-Known Member

Monte speaks for himself. I can not speak for him because I have no idea what he is doing at anytime. I am a member of the Southern division and all I need to know is where I will be instructing next and what group. And I have no idea about profit margins. All I can say about that is I believe(not certain) that all our southern track days have sold out :up:

3. JimboC

JimboC Well-Known Member

true and spell check too :crackup:

4. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Doh!!! Yes, that as well!!!

5. cNYnCArvr

cNYnCArvr A little bit of this...

Yep and that damn Muslim would run over the kids then build a mosque on their playyard.

6. JimboC

JimboC Well-Known Member

lmao

7. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

I think the larger issue was not so much where the corner worker was, but that there was no indication he was there prior to it.

Someone correct me if I am wrong here, but normally there is a red flag all stations, and a yellow preceding the incident waived with the red. The incident (bike) was cleaned up, and as far as I remember (could be wrong) the yellow was not up anymore.

Also, someone correct me if I am wrong, but shouldnt he have a set of eyes (another corner worker) with him if he is on track? One waiving and motioning before he got there?

I was just ahead of Jimmys group, and when I came up the hill, I could only see his top half (because of where he was when I came up, he was sortof behind the hill from my point of reference) but there was not an additional flagger there nor an indication that it was where the incident was.

I think it could have been handled "better". I dont know that it was handled "wrong" at all. I dont know the complete protocall. But as I said I think "better" would have included 10A still having both yellow and red, and A flagman on the hill up to T11 indicating somehow that a person was on the track surface.

Rather than a bunch of bitching at each other, how about maybe we talk about how it could have been better, and maybe learn from a relatively near miss? Just a thought

8. JimboC

JimboC Well-Known Member

Agreed:up:

9. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

This corner worker put his ass on the line to make sure no one hit potential fluids and wreckage on the track, after following the procedures he was taught to follow, and then gets to deal with people saying he shouldn't have been out there and second guessing his actions when he was trying to prevent additional crashes and injuries? Amazing.

And yes, the tone of the thread does come off as accusatory.

By the way, I do like the various comments about someone not knowing the correct protocol but basically assuming the CW was wrong in his actions and performance.

10. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Not only was his ass on the line, but any rider who may have hit him.

That is why I said it might not have been "wrong" by the rules. I assume you speak of my last post, and I was VERY VERY careful not to place blame on the rider, OR the corner worker, OR the either the trackday or corner working organizations. It appears things were hanlded on all ends by the book by both sides in all honesty.

But could it have been handled "better" and maybe, in the future, we can learn from it ? I think so. Rather than pointing blame at anyone, why cant it be constructive criticism and maybe the protocol be looked at how we could avoid a close call like this in the future.

Seems prudent to me.

11. JimboC

JimboC Well-Known Member

Well I actually know the correct protocol. The sad thing is I didn't know it was Clark's son and I would feel the same about anyone out there. No caution flag, no red flag, and bike crashed in a spot where it didn't affect pitting in. It would have been much easier to get a few bikes off the track and then check for the spill.

12. Sixx22

Sixx22 Well-Known Member

Jimbo,
    Take a minute and read your own sig line.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes it's appropriate. There are procedures to be followed but we have corner workers on hot tracks all the time.

If you're asking about the incident at Road Atlanta where a control rider obviously screwed up the issue wasn't with the corner worker no matter who overreacted and banned him from their events. The control rider is the issue in that case, looking behind you for extended periods is stupid and obviously dangerous.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sorry to disagree but if that is what Ed and Chuck are saying then they're just goofy. School zone speed is the preferred terminology. Still a moot point though since everyone knows you mean slow however it is said.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So wait - you were the control rider who wasn't paying enough attention to what was going on ahead of him? Sorry dude but you absolutely blew it. I know exactly where the CW was and he was more than visible all the way out of the corner and up the hill - especially at red flag speeds (no, I do not expect 20mph, that is merely a figure of speech not a speed limit - the school closest to my house is 45mph for example).

The corner worker was there to keep you from hitting stuff on track - something I've done myself repeatedly. If you're good at your job it's easy to do safely and Andy is very good at his job.

I get it, you got scared when you turned back around, but you need to take responsibility for your own actions and not try to put the blame on someone doing their job properly.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Huh? There is a simple answer, yes, it is appropriate for a corner worker to be out on a hot track. Period.

Do cw's always go out on hot tracks? No. Do they do so when it's not safe? With one sad exception, no. Do they do so without control knowing about it and without knowing where bikes are? Again with one sad exception, no. But none of those are what was asked...

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So now that I'm all caught up I have a question for Monte.

Why is it you haven't told anyone here that you called Faynisha and told her Andy is not allowed to work any STT events?

18. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

As a rider, once I see a red flag, all my expectations go out the window and it's up to me to be aware. In my mind if the situation is predictable, there probably would not have been a red flag to begin with. I don't consider a red flagged session/race a green track anymore, and it's up to me to get out of the CW/official's way so they can do their job properly.

If there is a situation where a rider runs into someone or something after seeing a red flag, I don't see how it could be on anyone other than the rider.

19. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

psssssssst...........this incident had nothing to do with his banning. But, im waiting to hear his response to your question, cus this one is gonna be really GOOD. :up:

20. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010