1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question??

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by JimboC, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't know any racers or trackday riders who think it's the same other than the couple posting in this thread.

2. XACT-Man

XACT-Man Not that fast....

Fuckin A, I go tire marshal at Barber today and miss all this shit, damn, who got the trophy at the track day anyway???

I'm with Dutch on this, I enjoy putting on track events and even coaching/instructing, but it doesn't even remotely come close to racing.

3. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

thats cus those that are discussing..........well, one of them has never turned a wheel under race conditions, and the other only did a handful of races before he got out of it. So neither are really qualified to answer that question.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've never done either but I know a shitload of people who have. Never been an issue listening to them and learning from them...

5. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

If you'll remember last year, i did ONE race all year, the last Tally event. Started dead last in the Senior race, and finished 2nd behind VanSalt. Up to that point, i'd done probably 20 or more trackdays, between teaching with Ed, working with Tally, and CR'ing with Xact. I think this is my 9th or 10th consecutive year with a WERA license. That race last year being the only one of the year was more "intense" than ALL the trackdays i'd done all damn year long combined. I also turned some of the fastest laps i'd ever turned at Tally too (much to my pleasent surprise :) )

Ive had alot of people ask about the difference between trackdays and racing, and the answer has always been the same..........racing is like nothing youve EVER experienced on a bike, and the only way to find out if "your cut out for racing" or not, is to give it a try. Some people cant handle the "intensity", some people crash their brains out and it doesnt take long to figure out racing isnt their thing. But for those that fall in love with the sport, once theyve raced, even tho trackdays are fun, 99.9% will tell you, theyre NOTHING compared to the red mist of turning a wheel in "anger" once the green flag drops. :up:

6. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

EDIT: I quoted this post, but it is in repsonse to several after it. I NEVER said trackdays and racing were the same. MONGO changed my words to say that basically

I think you are mistaking exactly what I meant or were not clear. I am not saying the trackday session, vs a 20min race. I never spoke of adrenaline rush or anything.

I CLEARLY said a rider riding his fastest laps, those laps are just as intense......... and it was in context referring to being "spooked" by something you dont expect.

Basically Codes $10 rule........ $10 is $10 regardless of where you spend it. And most people try not to spend a full $10 at a trackday but a lap here and there, rather than entire sessions like you would in a race

And I stick by that. My %100, regardless of if it is at a trackday, or at a race, is still %100. I cant go any harder. I cant think of anything else but what is going on right now. Cant get much more intense than that. A race just keeps that intensity LONGER.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  7. Strick

Strick Good to be king

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So you counsel riders at your trackdays to push their absolute limits as hard as they can?

Very interesting. I can honestly say I have never heard that from a trackday control rider before. All of them I know counsel their riders to stay within their limits. Who do you work for again?

9. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Successful troll is successful again....... mongo

I added more to my post

And to answer to your attempt to put words into my mouth, NOWHERE did I "cousnel" anyone to push their limits. YOU said that. Not me. Your chilish attempt to discredit my and the org that you dislike by twisting my words is pretty shitty mongo.

Regardless of what I coach, not everyone listens. Guys do push their limits from time to time. If they nobody did, there would not be crashes at trackdays for the most part now would there.

10. Strick

Strick Good to be king

I actually should have said almost ass packing a student is intense.

11. Strick

Strick Good to be king

You laid out what your racing career was and based on that how did you qualify to coach trackday riders.....new or other wise? Seems you spent more time off track then on.

Serious question.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So you've changed what you said. Cool.

The only way to experience the intensity of pushing something to it's limits - which is pretty much the point of racing - is to do so. So, if your trackday riders are experiencing that same level of intensity, the only way for that to happen is for them to be pushing as hard as they can. Unless you truly believe that riding at 75/85% is the same as 95/100%.

Can it be as enjoyable for a lot of people to run trackdays? Absolutely, I personally would be more interested in them than racing. Can they be exciting? Sure. Is it fun to compare laptimes riding well within your limits? Evidently since it happens a lot but that is one I absolutely do not get. But - is it pushing you, your skill, and your machine to the limits? No. At least not for the trackday riders I know. Not for the racers I know. And certainly not for the people I know running or control riding trackdays. The entire point is a lower stress fun day of riding compared to the level of intensity you get on a race day. Some riders like that increased intensity, some thrive on it, some do not. To each their own, as I said I'm not one who would be likely to race motorcycles, just as I'm slow on the street riding well well within my limits I doubt I'd be much different on the track.

As for crashes, I've known a lot of racers who fall down when they're going slower. Talked today to a Pro racer who fell through no fault of his own and is having issues riding today because of it. Crashes happen for a lot of reasons, not just because you're pushing the envelope. If that were the case only a couple dozen racers would ever crash since they're the only ones going fast enough to do so...

13. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Because "racing" is not the end all be all of knowing how to pilot a bike, how to speak to people and explain why it does what it does, and how to make it do it.

Racing is not a measure of knowledge or know how. Racing is not a measure of my ability to connect to people, and instruct them accurately, and motivate them to improve at safe and efficient pace. Racing is not a measure of my ability to make sure a student of the organization I work for leaves with a smile, and gained knowledge and confidence at the end of the day.

To be honest, I know plenty of racers who know DICK about WHY they do what they do, or how they do it, and could not tell another anything about how to go fast other than "I just whack it open, and chuck it into the turns" :rolleyes:.

Similarly there are plenty of pro football coaches, who have not taken a snap or actually ran a play since Pop Warner football..........

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So I'll quote the new one since it actually proves my point even more - you are seriously going at 100% at trackdays? Seriously? As a control rider? Seriously?

Wow.

15. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

no YOU tried to change what I said.
    I never said I encourage it. I said it happens. A lot.

Difference is usually a smart trackday guy will push for a section of track to improve that skillset or in that turn or type of turn, or a lap or two to get a flier in on clear open track etc.

Not all do that. Take the guy who crashes on his first trackday, first sessions. He is pushing his envelope too fast too early.
    I regularly tell students "DO NOT try to see how fast you can go before you crash. There is only one way to find out" One of my favorite quotes to use actually.

Do they LISTEN? Not always unfortunately.

Thus why I CLEARLY spoke of a"fastest lap". Not of entire sessions Vs. Races.

Touche. It has happened to me and shocked the shit outta me. Still not sure why it happened. You are right, crashes dont only happen when pushing. Id venture a guess that MOST do though. Slight mistake even close to %100 can put you on your head, and the faster you go (lap wise not speed) the smaller the mistakes are that can get you there.

16. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Lol...... you are impossible.

"as a control rider"

I dont ALWAYS control ride............ amazing huh? :rolleyes:.

do I push my limits from time to time, for a certain section of track, or for a flier lap when the track is clear in front of me, when I am NOT coaching? Sure.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I didn't change anything you said at all. You continue to talk about pushing 100% at a trackday - I continue to be absolutely floored you call yourself an instructor much less bragging about being the lead instructor. Just because I think you're absolutely wrong and unsuited for the job has nothing to do with not understanding your words. I understand them, I just find them ludicrous. I find the whole concept of comparing laptimes at a trackday ludicrous. I find you adovocating pushing 100% at a trackday ludicrous. Obviously your employers do not.

Evidently everyone I know has the entire wrong idea about trackdays and they are the exact same thing as race practice. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

18. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

Yes, we all know this already. But strangely enough, even though they are more than qualified, the pros that frequent the beeb have the courtesy to never go trolling to lowly club racers. Nor do they minimize the accomplishments of the club racer's on this forum. They could at any time point out how futile and pointless club racing is because most people leverage most their lives to be able to afford to do it, they aren't getting paid to do it, and are only competing with a bunch of regional hacks.

Of course they wouldn't do this, its called having some grace and respect, and the understanding that your skill doesn't matter nearly as much as each person's ability to enjoy the sport. They know that racing thrives as a result of having participants with a variety of skill and levels of proficiency. They know that the novices of today are the experts of tomorrow, and that if you scare away those novices from competing their truly will not be a tomorrow.

For most track day riders their fastest lap will never be close to what a pro could produce at the same track. But I venture to guess that for most track day riders the experience itself can be just as intense as those competing in a race. The point is that its all relative to the overall experience/skill of the rider, and that its the never ending chase to increase the intensity which makes a rider want to improve and increase the intensity. To minimize the experiences of less experienced or skilled riders would make one appear to be an elitist douche bag, its good to see that the pros lurking here know better.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So you're not the lead instructor? As such I'd expect you to always be a CR. I would expect you to conduct yourself accordingly at all times on the track and not turn it into racer practice. But obviously your employer thinks this is okay so I must be wrong in my assessment, sorry about that.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You need to reread what I've posted if you got offended or took it as an insult to trackday riders. The pros on here know as well as the club racers do there is a difference between amateur, pro-am, and pro racing. It's not an insult to anyone at any of those levels, it's merely a statement of fact. Those levels of racing are different, the thought processes involved are different, the intensity is different.