Post up your "NEW" and "AFFORDABLE" health care rate

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Fencer, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

That's the whole point of this shit. It's social medicine no matter how you slice it.

2. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Social medicine?

The rates through my employer and my wife's employer are not going up. Both are subsidized by the employer and carry very high levels of coverage.

I think the irony of the whole ACA debacle is that younger, healthier people will now have to pay more.

3. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

Doubly ironic, because they all voted for Obama.

4. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

The younger, healthier people are not going to buy into the plan and pay the tax, which will be far cheaper than buying the into the ACA. What's that going to do to the rest of us who buy it?

5. Howlie2

Howlie2 In middle-dodging traffic

I jumped online to get a quote for me only...not the family. The bare bones plan (bronze with 60/40 and a 10k deductible) was $78 per month. The out of pocket max was difficult to determine but it looked like $12k.

So for the low, low cost of $936, I would get essentially nothing. If I had been on this plan since entering the work force, I would have paid $25k+ without ever using the policy. Feels a lot like theft.

6. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

The tax will keep going up until they fnd a number that will coerce people to join.

7. aedwards01

aedwards01 Well-Known Member

Yeah, because people nowadays have an extra 10 to 12k saved for medical expenses. One of the girls at my work was looking at the same plan, she makes 27k a year. You think she's got 10 thousand laying around :crackup:

8. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

All insurance is theft until you need it. Duh.

9. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Not sure about that yet.

The total of health insurance payments made on my behalf ( employer+personal and parental contributions) plus out of pocket costs for my care over my lifetime are still a net positive cash flow for the insurance companies and medical industry. When they go negative, then it'll be time to start thanking others. If things stay stable, that will happen around the time I acquire Medicare.

Medicare contributions aren't included in the calculation above, so the clock resets at that point.

And by your logic, there are lots of folks who have suffered storm damage to their property and/or car accidents which were at least in part covered by their insurance who should be thanking me.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  10. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

Parental contributions? Are you 12 years old?

11. beac83

I was once. :Poke: It was probably before you were in school, or perhaps before you were born.

I've been covered by insurance since I was conceived. So before birth and up until I was 17, my parents and their employers covered the costs of my health insurance/care. Since age 17 I've paid for all those costs, and I'm about Acree's age currently.

When you look at the payments over the years, verses the actual costs incurred, the industry is still quite profitable if you look at what's been paid in on my behalf against what the actual payouts have been for my care.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  12. Howlie2

Howlie2 In middle-dodging traffic

Yeah, but not all theft is equal...the kids stealing all the gum out of the truck and me wanting a piece is annoying. The dudes that decided that they needed my dealer plates more than me is irritating. The guy that stole $5k worth of parts and I had a building damage on top of it is a whole different story. In the past, insurance was irritating...now it has risen to a whole new level. Blatant theft with reckless disregard for anyone but themselves....a 60/40 with 10k deductible is not an insurance policy...that is nothing...completely worthless.

I've crashed while racing several times and was transported once. Even with these things, I didn't exceed the 10k deductible. Not once in my life would this insurance policy have paid a dime. The only value it provides is that $936 is less than the 1% fine (tax).

The ACA is very irritating.

13. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

:D I was just dicking with you man. I am full of piss and vinegar this morning.

You last paragraph is why I plan to get sick as a dog in about 20 years. I want my money back!

14. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I think you're missing the point. He's saying that the rates of the vast majority have increased dramatically so your rates can be lowered. In other words, your medical costs have not decreased, the only thing that's changed is who's picking up the tab.

You deserve to have good, affordable medical coverage no matter what your "pre-existing" (stupid redundant term) conditions are. No one should have to live in constant financial duress because of a health condition beyond their control. However, the idea that we should should force every adult to purchase insurance at an artificially inflated price to lower the rates of a minute percentage is just stupid. If that was the objective, then they would have dealt specifically with that minute percentage and left the rest of us alone.

15. beac83

This has got to be one of the dumbest things about the ACA I've seen posted on the beeb.

You are being offered policies by a private (although regulated) company.

You are free to choose which policy, at which levels of coverage you wish.

You are free to choose not to buy.

None of that sounds like socialized medicine to me.

Socialized medicine is where you buy your coverage from the government, and they decide what is covered. There is not choice, and no way to opt out. Your contributions are taken by the government right out of your income.

Socialized medicine is Medicare, and it has proven to work really well. We should all have access to it.

16. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Why the question marks? He just provided his case as requested. The fact that he is not taking it in the can like most people does not change his facts.

There is also likely some low income people that benefit for now. Of course the end goal is still socialized medicine and that has not changed. So any defect will just result in calls for even more government interference to 'fix' it.

17. beac83

And before people say they are "forced to buy" by the penalties, how is that different than most states where you are required to carry car insurance or face a penalty?

In both cases you are still free not to buy, but there is a cost associated with that decision.

18. Chango

Chango Something clever!

My employer is self insured, using BCBS for "paperwork." I am currently paying ~250/month and the company is paying ~1000/month. The cost to continue doing it that way was so high that they dropped that option. So, technically my insurance rates are going down, but only because my employer can't afford to continue offering the plan we had before. The new plans aren't completely awful, but that's in no way thanks to Obamanation.

19. Chango

Chango Something clever!

I'm not required to buy a car to avoid a penalty.

20. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Nope.