1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pitbull TRS twisting swingarms ?

Discussion in 'General' started by DBConz, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Rising Sun

Rising Sun Well-Known Member

People with Multiple high sides, years of running clapped out twisted frames and out of balance rims: I WILL CEASE TO USE THE TRS DUE TO THIS ONE-OFF BARELY-PLAUSIBLE SCENARIO.

JJJerry, TurboBlew, RRP and 4 others like this.
  2. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Unless theyre white wheels, theyre tweaked, too.

Rising Sun likes this.
  3. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Lol.. no White wheels on any of mine .. but I’m not opposed to them .
    With my System I can haul any bike and change positions if necessary while hauling . Not just bikes with hollow rear axles

4. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

you do know there are pins for solid axle bikes too....

5. motoracer1100

No ... I didn’t know that . But I don’t need that type system , for a number of reasons .
    Are those pins universal, or multiple needed for various bikes ???

6. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

I do as well....

5axis likes this.
  7. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I don't think you could strap the front tire tightly enough to prevent the twist claimed without causing new damage. As per the OP's report, this wasn't visible, a tied down front tire will still allow a decent amount of frame deflection just through suspension movement and headstem pivoting.

23103a likes this.
  8. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

except for constantly tripping over 4 straps

skidooboy, Knotcher and Phl218 like this.
  9. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Did anyone say that?

10. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Well, I can only say I know Kent from GMD Atlanta doesn't agree. He about had a calf when I showed up with my bike strapped down that way. He said he has seen numerous triple clamps twisted out of alignment to various degrees by strapping down the front in a chock. He was relieved when I told him normally I use a TRS but since I didn't have the plate in my truck I used the chock. When I picked the bike up he insisted we roll it in backwards and strap the rear down and not put any pressure on the front.

Your experience may vary but all I can do is relate what was told to me by him.

skidooboy, ekraft84 and Phl218 like this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup:

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm saying the swingarm is too strong to allow it to swing that way. I'm also saying you don't need casters, the front end is loose enough if not tied down to swing to either side. All that holds it is friction - and the strength of the swingarm, it's mount to the bike, the TRS and it's mount to the trailer...

I said potholes because that's the initial post effectively. However I also brought up crashes which included huge lateral forces on the bikes as well as trailers being rolled which also cause huge lateral forces to the bike. A trailer blowout even if the front bounces off the ground is nothing in comparison and even if the trailer does sway side to side it's still nothing.

It's not a few anecdotes, it's number of them in which the machines and TRS encountered much much higher forces than described in the initial post. You can what if things to try and pretend it could happen, under normal and even extraordinary circumstance it has not and will not. If you want to pretend that forces high enough to bend the swingarm can happen in your hypothetical diagram then my hypothesis is the TRS will rip out of the floor or break before the swingarm.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If the side to side motion of the trailer is enough the trailer won't keep swaying, it'll keep going all the way around, the trailer tires don't have enough grip to cause the amount of force needed to bend swingarms.

It's like you guys have never seen a motorcycle crash... :crackup: I've seen bikes land with enough force to break wheels - at angle that puts tons of lateral force on the swingarm - and even then it's race for a swingarm to bend, granted enough force and they do break, however the weak point is the rim not the swingarm.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

WTF??? Have you ever actually seen a motorcycle? If you can dent one with your first it won't hold up to sitting on the bike much less riding it :crackup:

Bikes are totaled out for street crashes in large part due to bodywork costs.

15. motoracer1100

What ? ... you strap them down when leaving , unstrap them when you arrive ... what is this constantly tripping over straps you are talking about . :crackup:
    They have finishing schools for those that suffer from coordination issues .

16. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

We dont want a pro actually using lasers and other precise machinery to give us an answer. If he isnt using wood for measurements, hes bunk...

Phl218 likes this.
  17. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

You just hush up there, lil mister...

:D

18. motoracer1100

Kent , may have a point if the person in Question is really collapsing the front suspension. I have seen people do that . In my scenario bike sitting in baxley (locked) , canyon dancers on clipons then straps snugged down enough to keep whole package in place . I tow with various pickups and trailers instead on one designated setup .
    I am not Dissing the TRS method, just explaining what works for me in my situation

TurboBlew likes this.
  19. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

From what I've seen and experienced, most people tend to overtighten with ratchet straps. I swapped to cam buckles and never looked back.

20. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

That is impressive!