1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pitbull TRS twisting swingarms ?

Discussion in 'General' started by DBConz, Jan 4, 2021.

1. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

2. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Apparently some of yall haven't seen how violent a trailer can sway when losing a tire. That and the bike is a 6ft long lever with 500lbs behind it. I think something would give!

3. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Anything is possible, the only evidence I've got is I've used TRS for a lot of years and current bike has been towed over 50,000 miles in my toyhauler using nothing but the TRS. It was checked at GMD Atlanta for an unrelated issue late in 2019 and swingarm was just fine.

Rising Sun and TurboBlew like this.
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

just had to look and found this...

5. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I do wonder how much force applied laterally to the front end would be needed to bend the swingarm. If the front tire was off the ground (cuz of a bounce of something), prob not a ton.

6. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I was following a guy with one of those pop up camper, like the small ones. He blew a tire and i was about 1/2 mile behind him. I could just see his tail lights. He slid from one side of the road, to the other and back. At one point it was so sideways i could see the marker lights on the front of the trailer. I rolled up to him after he got it stopped and and he was visibly shaken. I was nice and asked him if he shit his pants cuz I almost did. Luckily the noone was in the oncoming lane or I would have been a first responder.

BigBird likes this.
  7. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

also, they're acting like the bikes are snapping in half. i'm talking a 3% tweak. it's not impossible if given a good side shake on a bike held by the rear axle with a smaller/light trailer.

8. sdg

sdg *

Make up your mind

9. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

it's enough to notice a difference in a corner, but not enough to visibly noticed without measuring at a shop.

10. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I’ve never used a TRS so I can’t comment on that part, but I can confirm that the weight of a newer R6 will twist a swing arm.

Mine was on both stands (Pit Bull of course), I pulled the front stand but I was way to the left and pulled away from the bike making it tip to the right. Not sure how it happened but it didn’t fall off the rear stand, just kind of tangled up with it. I thought everything was fine until I couldn’t get the rear wheel to go back in after getting new tires put on. I’m not an engineer but I’m guessing they’re not built for that much lateral load. Or maybe when it fell on the stand that one point in the swing arm buckled which wouldn’t happen with a TRS.

11. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Shoulda had a dually rollin coal.

You know what probably doesnt help? Pulling a trailer at 80mph like some of you banshees do.:D

Rising Sun, RRP, ducnut and 1 other person like this.
  12. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

When those trailers first start to go into that fishtail, is the best answer to floor it to try and straighten the trailer and drive out of it?

13. BC

BC Well-Known Member

The only answer is to manually actuate the brake controller

14. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

I love the “Professional driver”. Definitely not the Stig.

TurboBlew likes this.
  15. joec

joec brace yourself

So are we getting out the pitchforks or not?

16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

one thing I learned from suffering a few blowouts on my motorhome DO NOT touch the brakes. Ive never had a trailer fish tail. I had an idiot driving my rig when a trailer tire let go and that moron interpretted my "dont touch the brakes" as oh let me drag a trailer with a blown tire to the next exit. Tire was brand new at the start of the trip so the only explaination was he couldnt drive the crown of the road and the passenger side tire was in the shoulder or the warning ripples.

17. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Only if the prongs are bent at 3 degrees or so.

BigBird likes this.
  18. sdg

sdg *

or 3%

BigBird, badmoon692008 and Ducti89 like this.
  19. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

My bad. I didn't realize you've never made a typo on the internet before. Congrats to you.

turbulence likes this.
  20. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

First thing I'd be doing is manually applying the brakes on the trailer brake controller. No way you could accelerate fast enough to do anything.