1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirelli tire selection

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jun 15, 2018.

1. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Yeah, the latter. Seemed hard to find online as well but I got over it. I'm slow and only race a couple times a year so the price/lap differential doesn't matter much.

2. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

It's the very definitive answer of "it depends".

I try to shoot for 3-5 seconds off the (600) lap record. I can do 3 sprints (24 laps) on a rear, but it profiles it bad and kills the life of the tire if you want to flip it afterward.

I like to do 2 sprints on a rear, then it gets flipped and used up for practice or a track day session. If I'm using a brand new rear, I won't do more than 2 sessions without flipping it. If you're still counting wear in days, you got a ways to go. I would at the very least recommend flipping a rear every day (assuming Intermediate track day pace), or preferably every half day like over lunch or whatever. But I'm super cheap and flips (especially if you're doing them yourself) is the best way to manage left/right tire wear. I also have a hoarding rims problem, I have an extra 6 rears and 5 fronts, so I just load up the bed of the truck and swap wheels during a race weekend. Nothing gives me heart burn like having to pay $20 when I have a machine at home. :crackup:

RichMangus and racepro171 like this.
  3. Wheel Bearing

No reason to run a SC2 rear in any race condition, unless you're like trying to race Nelson Ledges in February or March :D

RichMangus likes this.
  4. voss555

voss555 Well-Known Member

We made it 6 hours of endurance on a SC2 rear at Hallet this year on a R3 lol.

5. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Fair. I'm a bit slower than you though (closer to 10 seconds off 600 lap record at Pitt) and wouldn't really run into grip issues on a 2. But having more margin is always better - like I said, I run the SC1 now.

6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

THX guy! I'm golfing lol, and all people need to do is look at the product range on Pirelli.com or a vendor's website

7. Wheel Bearing

I was referring to real motorcycles

8. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

I couldn't remember the size off the top of my head and misspoke. Couldn't get the 180 sc2 from vendors easily either, even preordering.

But I've talked about this before and there's no point in rehashing it.

9. macky

macky Active Member

any reason for the lower tire warmer recommendation for 2023 sc3 vs 2022? I'm just an intermediate track day rider, but got about half the life from a v4 than what I got from v3.

10. Chango

Chango Something clever!

@Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Is there a general starting pressure recommendation for the Diablo Rosso IV Corsa rear? I'm just a slow track day guy going to COTA for the first time next weekend, so it's not like I'll be pushing the limits of the tire.

11. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Trivia question: are the WSSP bikes using the 125 front or the 120? I see Moto2 is going with the 125.

12. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Yes some riders are using the larger front some are not. here's some data
    [​IMG]

13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

A bit more data

Moto2 and Moto3 lap records as the Pirelli era begins…In the first 2024 @motogp official test, on Pirelli tires, @alonsolopez_21 and @daniholgado96 set the all time lap record for the Valencia circuit in their respective classes

14. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

^^ how do you read that chart in regards to the pressures. are the pressures listed as a Low/High range or recommended hot pressures for compounds sc1/sc2

*scratch that - rains only show one compound and a range so it must be low/high - I'm and idiot

15. prm

prm Well-Known Member

The MotoGP site had an article detailing how much faster they were on Pirellis. Later, they had rewritten the article and watered down the differences.

16. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Lolololol

I'm surprised MotoGP would do that, since it was positive to their new partner.

17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

19. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Yeah but everyone in NA thinks this isn't normal and you can't buy the same shit