1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirelli tire selection

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

The Supercorsa DOT V4 has a new tread pattern and profile. If it is a v4 it will have it's IP code of 2142100 on the sticker. See attachment for pressures.

Attached Files:

prm and youngR like this.
  2. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Don't know of a document exists that shows the lap differences between the compounds. And of course, this would depend on the track and bike set up. I would think with fast expert with a great bike set up would see around a second or more a lap with a SC1 vs a SC3.
    The two enemies of tire wear and performance are a cold abrasive track surface. To minimize this work on the suspension setup, tire pressure, compound choice and a bit of riding style.

youngR likes this.
  3. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Definitely a V4. Interestingly the Pirelli website indicates 30psi warm for the rear. That’s a couple more pounds than the V3. All the pressure sheets I’ve seen, including the attachment, only go to 2022 and presumably do not include the V4.

Do different profiles between front and rear, like a V3 front and V4 rear cause any issues? Seems they would be designed to be complimentary at any given lean angle.

https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/motorcycle/catalog/product/diablo-supercorsa-v4-sp-new

IMG_2864.jpeg

4. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I do not see that code.

Looking closer at the website there is a Diablo Supercorsa SP - V4 (listed in ‘Hypersport’ section) and a Diablo Supercorsa SC - V4 (listed in ‘Racing’ section). The recommended pressures are different (30 vs. 28 warm).

Ok, I did find ‘Supercorsa SC’ on the side of the tire, and per the website that means 28 warm. It also says the SC is track only even though this tire does have the DOT stamp on the side.

5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Yes, a few guys are on 600s but as discussed before the advantage of the larger front is when it is used with the 200/65 rear on large superbikes.

youngR likes this.
  6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

You're comparing the street aka Hypersport Supercorsa SP (Sports Production) designated product with Supercorsa SC aka race compound tires. And it's OK to mix a Supercorsa V3 front with the new Supercorsa V4 rear.
    Secondly, if you use the tire pressures suggested by your tire vendor or posted here you will be fine. FYI here's the best place to get info www.pirelliracer.com and the 2022 pressures are applicable to the V4 SC3 tires. I would expect they will update the site soon.

7. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

I do, it's at the very bottom of the lower tire sticker

youngR likes this.
  8. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Thanks. Appreciate response. There won’t be a Pirelli vendor at my next track day hence asking. Normally I just talk to them.

9. youngR

youngR Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. I be curious to know how often World SSP riders pick 125 instead of 120, now that they have that option.

10. prm

prm Well-Known Member

There’s a code there, but not the number you listed (2142100). Doesn’t matter, happy to knowit works with v3 and know what psi to use.

IMG_0817.jpg

11. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

41241 is it, next is EB which designates the German factory and next is 0523 the build date as in the fifth week of 2023. The rest is not relevant to mere mortals.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2023
    prm likes this.
  12. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Here's the latest file of psi and warmer info

Attached Files:

13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

That tire is about 12 weeks old, DAMN that's some fresh rubber!

prm likes this.
  14. SeventeenRR

SeventeenRR Well-Known Member

When reading this chart, it seems evident that cold pressures are in parentheses, but what’s the deal with the two hot pressures per tire? Is that range?

15. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

16. Toadmeister00

Toadmeister00 Well-Known Member

Has Pirelli gone away from the 100 front/120 rear Moto3 spec rubber???

17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Not sure contact your local vendor and I'll look around

18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

CT Race tires has them on their site and I see them in Europe? But they have never been a big seller so maybe they're on B/O to your vendor from the warehouse?

19. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Does rubber buildup on the leading edge of a tread groove definitively mean anything in regards to suspension or geometry? IMG_3102.jpeg

20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Not to worry it's more of the tread design and how the tread groove flexes while loaded. I've seen this on many different tires over the years.

prm likes this.