1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No 125 in nationals anymore???

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by LAR, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Racer48

Racer48 Man Whore- He Bitch!

Paige, LAR,

I can think of 4 other DC area 125'rs that arent even on your list. Two of which frequent this forum often (you know who you are, add your name to the list, especially since I saw one of you on here earlier today...DW and SG :Poke: , dont forget we have to get that DC happy hour for the 8-9 of us in Fairfax, VA together soon, Mister 264! :beer: ) and two others that dont visit this forum, but should.

JUST WAIT! KILLER BEES UNITE!!!!!!!

2. LAR

LAR Well-Known Member

We're up for it...when and where? :)

3. ecumike

ecumike Relocated Yankee

Yo.

I'll be riding next year, obviously.

I have only raced with CCS, but that's b/c it seemed like their schedule had more races around me (VIR, Roebling, Summit) and track time had been my goal this/last year.

I'm planning on trying my hand at some WERA events, but probably only the regionals and national that are @ VIR, and the national at summit.

Depending on the schedule, and $$, I'll mostly be running SE CCS races and some (closer by) USGPRU races.

Even though I haven't raced any WERA events, and knew nothing about the 125 class they had at the nationals or whatever, my goal and part reason for getting the 125 was to start racing national races next year. I figure I'd be a good backmarker for you fast guys. Forget the green/white flag.. when you pass me, you'll know it's about halfway over. :)

So if WERA gets rid of it, that sux, b/c like as mentioned on these couple threads, I think there's gonna be alot (relative) of 125 racers this year.

</rambling>

4. ecumike

ecumike Relocated Yankee

414.... you live in Fairfax?... that's where I grew up and my parents live. (236 & Guinea)

May have to connect with some of you guy/gals next time I'm up there.

5. Racer48

Racer48 Man Whore- He Bitch!

Mike,

Fairfax since 1976! Good old Summit Point since 1990! Phew thats a long time! And still an amateur, or as wera calls it a novice for some reason. Gotta visit other tracks more than once a season I guess!

Im around the corner at Gallows and Gatehouse right behind the biker bar where Roach and LAR met! :wow: Scary!

Next time you up here, call... wait, this is '03, text message me or something!

LAR/Roach,
    we are trying to get a CCS, USGPRU/wera gang together around here since YSR264 and I were talking about how MANY 125'rs are within minutes! And there are many more moving here. Take a look at the tz250racing.com message boards!

That discussion started last night, when I bought my 04 USGPRU #48 license. So, we will scam up a good 'ol bash soon, after Thanksgiving. You know how organization is such a pain! But Ill keep you informed and get some ideas going here too. Lots of LITE beer for all us GP'rs!!! :clap: :D

6. Dennis Woods

Dennis Woods Member

I'm lurking but since I'm a cog in the USGPRU machine I'm a little hesitant to comment. We (the GPRU, not the voices in my head) are sometimes perceived as being against WERA but that is not true. The simple truth is that WERA and CCS make their money off of rider entry fees and we don't yet have enough entries to spread ourselves across both organizations. Add to that the help that CCS and Kevin E. specifically gave us early on and here we are. Personally I have no appetite for any organizational squabbling because promoting 125s (and now 250s) is more important.

So I sympathize with WERA and the truth is that no race series works when only 1/2 dozen bikes show. I bought my first 125 in 1995 after getting in a fight (on the Compuserve motorcycle forum) with Bill Amick from the AMA after the cancellation of the 125 national class there. Since then we've struggled to field a national series whether it be WERA, NASB, or Tony Bell's series, the GPRA.

I'll be happy to write about what we're working on for next year but I understand if people think it's inapproriate. This is WERA's discussion board. We will have announcements up on fatbaq and rrw when everything is firm. 125s are the coolest bikes on the planet and we are trying to make a happy home for them.

Dennis

7. maybe it is something in NOVA's water, maybe this is why i love my 125's, i grew up in northern virginia (burke), went to lake braddock high school, i just hated the area so i had to leave, all the cool punk kids were from suburban maryland and made suburban virginia look like pansies, anyhoo thinking of relocating to takoma park so i might add another 125 in the dc scene for ya

on a different note and back to a statement of intent to ride, this should sway their opinion, i do agree with wera to some degree, the carolina national was pitiful just genter, myself, and another slower rider, we were so spaced apart after three laps it was not even a race, this occurred because the same weekend was the usgpru at vir, how can the usgpru help the cause? well i remember last year at summit a supposed discussion about branching or tying into some wera nationals, with this year being a true west coast east coast thing (at wera) and the usgpru final to supposedly be back on the east coast, it is the prime chance for all to work together to build the class
    does anyone know if the usgpru is talking or has talked to wera?
    the final with the gpra at road atlanta four years ago showed a true national size 125 event, this should be everyones goal

8. ecumike

ecumike Relocated Yankee

:eek:ff:

Ha.. WT Woodson for me, '92.

Now wait a minute :down: ... what's up with that? We were no pansies. Don't you remember all the gangs and shit we had going on.. YT, etc..

9. LAR

LAR Well-Known Member

Dennis, I agree with you that promoting 125s and 250s is very important. And I also agre that no race series works when only 1/2 dozen bikes show...what I don't agree with is that WERA brings in lots of entries across the board, so just because a class only brings in 6-12 riders means it's worthless? I know you're not saying that, but I don't think that WERA needs any sympathizing...it's the riders who need sympathizing, those of us who no longer have a national class to run our little bikes in. :)

I'd be interested in hearing about what's going on for next year...if you wouldn't mind emailing me, I think that would be great. I agree that this is WERA's board and we should keep it that way. my email is [email protected].

Thanks, Dennis!
    Laura

10. LAR

LAR Well-Known Member

lake braddock ...ewwww! Oakton Cougars, baby! LOL

Yea, must be in the water here or something. Brian went to Edison.

We, too, hate the area and we're heading out...moving to Delaware where it's nice and quiet! :)

11. Dennis Woods

Dennis Woods Member

Laura,

Will do. And everyone knows the Cougars were a weak bunch. The Warhawks on the other hand were a talented bunch. State Creative Writing champs; yeah baby!

Dennis

12. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

I knew this was going to turn into a USGPRU thread ...

No one here has ever "shunned" WERA in regard to the USGPRU, as far as I know ... but lets look at some basic undisputable facts:

WERA National: 125 class, gets its own 6 - 8 lap race.

USGPRU/FUSA National: 125 class, gets it's own 12 - 15 lap race, timed (transponder) qualifying, own timed practice sessions, special trophies prepared by the USGPRU, purse. Org exclusivly dedicated to promoting GP racing.

If you were on a budget, which most people are, and had to pick and choose your weekends ... which would you pick? Some of us try to hit as many events (no matter the org) as funds and travel time allow, but not everyone can do that.

The WERA Nat'l series and FUSA are competing "products". WERA can either try and compete for the business, or not. They have evidentally chosen not to. I think that's too bad as I like WERA and running the WERA National events, but sometimes things just don't work out the way you'd like.

And again, as far as the "numbers" are concerned ... there are a lot of novice classes that don't draw any better. The argument doesn't really fly IMO. Even if you try and factor in that the 125gp class gets it's own race while many times novice/expert in other classes is combined, the cost of that is negligable - the track is rented, the staff are already there. The administrative costs (registration, gridding, etc) is no more or less than any of the novice 4-stroke classes that aren't drawing any better. The only real difference is that you could say there's more room for growth in the novice 4-stroke classes as those bikes are more popular.

::shrug:: WERA moves in strange and mysterious ways. They make the rules ... we just play by them.

- Roach

13. LAR

LAR Well-Known Member

Thanks, Dennis. I'll look forward to your email...and we weren't a weak bunch...best dance squad on this side of town. :D

14. Bill Cole

Bill Cole Well-Known Member

My 2 cents. First off we all must understand this is a business. As Brian noted it takes money to put on a race weekend. While WERA, CCS whoever loves this sport they need to make money. Love of the race, or class can only go so far. In talking to Kevin Elliot (ccs) they need about 16 entries to break even on a regional basis. The 125 class cost wera money. I dont know Sean very well but I know he has a soft spot for us 2 stroke guys. I think that Wera has really extended themselves as far as they could and as long as they could. Comes a time you just need to cash in...

When the USGPRU was formed and organized a very big mistake was made. They didnt contact Wera. Not one call. The deals were made with CCS with the F-usa deal as a carrot. It was a good deal I feel after running it for 2 years. Brian has shown some of the highlights. My opinion is that this was a real kick in the ass of Wera. I remember also that for about 3 days Sean canceled the 125 class.. Both regional and national. After all he has done I think he felt.... hurt. He came around after a few days and I think it was only because he likes us and likes 125 racing.. But it had to put a differant focus on the 125 class...

The other issue is that of scheduling. The USGPRU is making every attempt at having it a true NATIONAL series. This is a HUGE undertaking. With this challenge the result is that the USGPRU has had to work with AFM, CCS and even the canadian series to make it work.

When looking at these types of situations you really need to drill in a bit. They look one way on the surface but the ins and outs make them really complex.. And again guys and gals it is just business.

Again personally I think that Wera loosing the class may be a blessing in some aspects. In theory it should strengthen the USGPRU. I think that we should all thank Sean and Wera for everything they have done. It is a great organization. But if the 125 program doesnt fit the vision of their orgainization we need to just respect it.

Note: My comments in this message are based on my participation in the beginning stages of the USGPRU. I was contacted alot for advice and consulting. I certainly also do NOT want to speak for Sean at Wera. I hope that he would also comment on this situation and share his thoughts.

15. LAR

LAR Well-Known Member

Well said, Bill, but we were having more fun being angry. :D

And I think that Mongo should be flattered that we're angry, because it means that we love WERA and want to stay there. I don't think that there's anything wrong with that at all.

Yes, this decision will probably strengthen the USGPRU, and I can't speak for how running their series is, as I've never done it...but I really enjoy running WERA and was hoping that my first year back in racing it would be with them.

16. Bill Cole

Nothing wrong with how you are feeling and that you may be angry. That is normal. I think Mongo probrably feels the same. These ARE great people that REALLY care alot for us and I know these desisions dont come easy. Time will tell and things may change. History tells us this on many occasions and often.

17. LAR

LAR Well-Known Member

Damn, Bill, you're much wiser than you look. :D

JUST KIDDING!!!!!! ;)

18. Bill Cole

Fear not I will be the same old A-Hole as always next time I see you!! :D

19. LAR

LAR Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it! Wouldn't want it any other way. :p

20. Bill Cole