1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naval pilots PERMANENTLY grounded for flyover

Discussion in 'General' started by MasterBlaster, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

Yeah, but warthogs go so slow how much damage could they do if they crashed? :D

My dad used to be in the Indiana Air Guard and was part of a USAF training detachment on an Army outpost. They trained all the USAF squadrons in Indiana and the surrounding states. I used to go to work with him to hang out and watch the F-4's, F-16's, A-10's, etc. strafe and do mock bomb runs from the 120' tower. They would routinely fly-by the tower, 200' off the deck, swing close to the tower and (in the A-10's case) be going real slow... it was awesome for a 13 year old... hell it'd be awesome now 20 years later. A-10 is hands down my favorite jet. A bad MOFing gun and oh-by-the-way we need to wrap a jet around it to be able to fly it places to shoot at stuff.

2. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

By your logic, I should be allowed to drive home completely wasted, and only get in trouble if I actually cause property or personal damage; or I suppose you'd be comfortable with me whizzing bullets past your head while you mow the lawn. As long as I don't actually hit you, I'm cool. :rolleyes:

The rules are in place to PREVENT damage. The fact that they broke the rules and managed to do so without hurting anyone doesn't make the offense any less significant. It's against the rules merely because of the potential for disaster.

3. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

:D

I changed it from arrogance to "unnecessary arrogance" since arrogance was a given. :p

4. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

He was an EAS major. If it weren't for being a pilot he would probably be shunned by all the engineering majors. For most people, EAS is the easy science that you take to avoid modern physics or Chem II.

5. Tim McKinley

Tim McKinley Salty Member

2 of the three aircraft I have flown in as an operator in the Navy were tailhook jets. Hell, even in P-3s DougK nailed it, MOSA rules all when it comes to altitude. I've also been on board for a flyover, and it is briefed to death and very anal in the details. To have a LCDR, Dept Head, Inst pilot screw this up to this degree is unforgivable. I wasn't there, none of us were, so I won't guess what their mindset was. Certainly isn't a stretch though to suggest they were showboating.

A Dept Head (especially one who is looking to screen for Command at Sea) can not behave that way, ever. The amount of responsibility he had, and the amount he could potentially have had as a Commanding Officer, is huge, and I can certainly understand why they lost their wings over this. As the saying goes, sometimes stupid hurts. At least this time stupid only hurt themselves.

6. discoduc2

discoduc2 "shift wanker shift"

Any one at VIR 2 years ago when Dave Porter (ex Wera CCS Racer) did a flyover......scared the living Shite out of everyone:wow::wow:

7. paistes5

paistes5 Well-Known Member

Goose, whose butt did you kiss to get in here anyway?

The list is long, but distinguished.

8. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Wondered how long it would take for you to catch my comment. :D

9. Booty Freak

Booty Freak Well-Known Member

"Hey Mav, you got the phone number of that truck driving school?"

One year during a Air Warrior Exercise down at Barksdale AFB we had a
    A-10 pilot bring his plane home without a canopy. :wow: Needless to
    say we were all dumb founded since the A-10 has two engines directly
    behind the cockpit that were not damaged. As far as I know the Air Force
    never found the canopy. But the commander did send the captain home
    early. :tut:

10. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

I had been hold that back for a while to be honest. Thanks for the softball.

Talking about Barksdale and A10s brings back memories. I was born there and have very early childhood memories of A-10s (and several others) flying over my head. My dad was in B52s at the time. My mom even bent a wheel on our car by running off the road while trying to point out a particular flyover. We were also there when a KC-10 exploded on the flightline.

11. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

You'd lose that bet.

A high-G turn caused the pilot to grey out and lose control.

12. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

You mean to tell me that's illegal? :eek:

13. BigHeadzDC

BigHeadzDC One Track Wonder

G-LoC was the cause in Beaufort. 100%. A friend of mine, Paul Brantuas was a Blue Angel when they lost Kevin Davis during a rejoin maneuver.

The official report is that Lcdr Davis suffered G-LoC during a 6.8g pull to rejoin with the rest of the delta pilots. There was no evidence of engine failure or foreign object ingestion to contribute to the accident.

14. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Thanks, y'all, thats what I was trying to remember. I believe they said bird initially as a catch all and then the final investigation and black box came up with that. Appreciate the catch.

With mention of the Blue Angels, might have to try a trip back to Charleston next month. They're apparently trying to do a show for the end of Navy Week over Charleston Harbor. April 17 and 18. I'm sure the current commander of the Blue Angels being a Citadel grad has nothing to do with trying to get this together. :D

If they pull the show together, seeing them over Charleston Harbor could be incredible.

15. cjc432

cjc432 Member

VIR - Best Fly-over Ever!

16. Tim McKinley

Tim McKinley Salty Member

Yep, I was in P-cola visiting a buddy in the Blues that weekend, said the same thing. Seems like I remember a cracked rib being a contributing factor too.

17. JoeNashville

JoeNashville Well-Known Member

It didn't end their careers, just their flying! They can still 'serve on the ground'!

So personal responsibility in this country is history? They controlled EVERY SINGLE ASPECT of that incident. They own it and they are responsible. Any dumb ass knows there are very strict rules for flying as the many Top Gun fans have aptly posted. I say hold them accountable.

They can always retire from the military and fly for Northwest? Northwest has at least 2 openings for 'skilled' pilots. :beer: