1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naval pilots PERMANENTLY grounded for flyover

Discussion in 'General' started by MasterBlaster, Mar 22, 2010.

1. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

They pulled a "planned fuck-up" with that altitude thing. It's like making static noises on the radio trying to tell them "sorry your breaking up" when you want to do something not allowed. Then these guys told a blatant lie to try and cover their asses. They are getting burned for it just like they should. If I were the Adm. in charge their asses would be grounded and they would be passed over for advancement and allowed to quietly retire.

They would have been much better off to have said they wanted to put on a better show for their alma matre so they bent the rules a bit and they are sorry and it will never happen again. They would have faired much better.

There are a couple of things in the military that you just don't fuck around with in the vacinity of civilians... nuclear reactors and fighter aircraft.

2. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Couldn't cost any more than a motorcycle race team, could it?

:D

[​IMG]

3. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

You can scare holy hell out of 'em with a deuce and a half, though, and everybody laughs. :D

4. Marc Camp

Marc Camp Well-Known Member

What if?What if?All I can say it was different than many fly overs I have seen.

5. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

One thing to keep in mind is that we don't know the full story. On the surface it seems like a very harsh punishment to permanently ground these pilots but there's probably more to the story than we will ever know.

6. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Below the flight deck does not count.

The only way that flyover could have had more awesome involved is if they went vertical at full military thrust at the other side of the stadium.

I guess the Navy has enough fighter pilots, no need for any more recruitment folks since we're benching fully trained, experienced aviators.

7. Steverin06

Steverin06 Well-Known Member

It's flyovers and airshows that put the desire of becoming a pilot into a child's heart at an early age. You need that desire to earn your wings.

As far as the national guard, I think it's a smart move. What better people to recruit than those with excellent eye-hand coordination capable of making quick decisions?

8. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

At very least you do it overseas. This one time in Chile, we did a really good fly-by of the hotel we were staying at. The only problem was that our CO was having morning coffee with the Battle Group Commander and the Chilean version of our CNO. They were pool side enjoying ocean view when we came stolling by. Yeah, that was a couple hours of finger pointing, yelling and threatening careers. Our saving grace was when the TACCO from the other crew (an O-4 screening for command) punched a Canadian in the face at a party that night. We were sent up to Panama for a "logistics" run for a few days to keep us out of range of the Battlegroup Commander to let him cool off. He wanted us brought out to his ship for Admirals Mast right then and there.

9. Sacko DougK

Aviation is governed and ruled by "what if's".

10. 703motogp

703motogp Well-Known Member

It is a VERY smart move the National Guard did!

11. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

:D

You bad boys. :p

Many things can be done overseas that don't happen at home. One thing I always remembered about the military was that the farther away from Washington DC you were the more you could get away with. :up:

12. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I see that flippant isn't in vogue today.

13. Kendall

Kendall Well-Known Member

Negative Ghostrider the pattern is full.

14. Sacko DougK

Tell me about it. When I was still in I contacted the Navy's Media/PR guy about sponsoring a team I was involved with. They guy was like, "if it's not NASCAR, I don't care about it.". A couple years later, here's the Guard and the Army in bikes.

15. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

" What would the press and public feel about the "recklessness" of the pilots and their illegal actions, how the military pilots are "cowboys" and could care less about public safety in the name of bravado. Anyone remember the B-52 that crashed in preparation for the Spokane Airshow? Remember how the fall out of how the guy should have been grounded from earlier illegal flight maneuvers but wasn't the the fall-out from that? "

Reminds me a little of the pilots that took out that gondola cable in northern Italy a few years back? Pretty F'd up results in that one.

I remember at Pocono, the local Air Force reservist use to buzz the track with their A-10s. As cool as they they think they were, being on the track at the time was scary as shit.

People gotta remember the price of these things. That's tens of millions of dollars of tax payer property they're playing with. Then there's a millions more in training a fighter pilot, which goes to waste if he has to be grounded.

16. Pixelator

Pixelator Well-Known Member

Looks like their only hopes of future aviation will be the "Flying a Cargo plane of rubber dogshit out of Hong Kong"...

But seriously IMO to end their careers for the flyover is insane.

Theres a LOT of "IF" this and "IF" that WOULD have happened it would have been bad, well yeah duh..

Since nothing actually happened the pilots should be reprimanded and put on suspension for not following procedure and lying about it. Make a note in their records about the "Circus stunt fly by" and move on, theres much more important things to deal with.

But to end their careers and waste all the time and money that went into training them is a far bigger punishment on tax payers not to mention losing two qualified pilots. :beer:

17. Turbotech

Turbotech Well-Known Member

Punishment seems harsh to me for what they did, but I get that their getting reamed over lying about it...They would probably been better off if they just owned up to it...

Question though, I work right outside the fence at Dobbins Air base and during the once a year air show the guys are out practicing for three day prior and they are WAY low and fast outside of the base fence line....I mean 200 feet of Cobb parkway low, pulling high G vapor trail turns kind of stuff...

We get no work done those days...

Is it because this is planed, that they can go that low and fast then? Because the "what ifs" still apply, any fuck-up of any kind during those days would lead to a plane going into a high populated area...

18. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Now, you guys realize that the video ban is still in effect right?

20. Sacko DougK

He still has a career, just will not promote and will not fly anymore. He is lucky to still have a career in my opinion. As far as lying goes, well, look at it this way. An individual flying a combat aircraft is directly responsible for roughly the cost of the aircraft $35 million (?), the costs of other aircraft and support equipment, the lives of those directly around him (maintainence personnel, aircrews), the thousands of pounds of ordanance, the lives of those personnel being supported by the various missions, the trust of international conflicts that this individual is directly involved in. Now, would you trust that to someone who has lied to you??