1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | 2023 | Pre-Season

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Nov 7, 2022.

1. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Timeline says their eggs are all turds.

Was surprised to see MM use the language he used.

He must be pissed!

cbush and Boman Forklift like this.
  2. BigBird

BigBird blah

Did you see the video of Rins, shaking his head like WTF is this POS

3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I saw that, but couldn't remember his number, so I wasn't sure it was him. :crackup:

He definitely got the worst end of the Suzuki departure. At least Mir is on the factory team, and most likely with a factory payroll.

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

I think it was actual Pol, lol. he didn't look happy

5. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

lol ducati delivering millers crew chief to ktm
    71122_12_Miller_Pupulin.jpg

6. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Pol was very happy! He came in dancing and fist pumping after his first session.

BigBird likes this.
  7. cbush

cbush Well-Known Member

I’m inclined to agree, but until he actually does it, it’s speculative. Rossi and Casey actually did it.

Fwiw, I’ve become more a MM fan over the last couple years (after seeing him struggle with adversity), than I was previously (when everything seemed to come easily for him). I think he’s grown as a person and a rider and really shown his mettle. I want to see him take on the challenge of riding another bike.

Quicktoy likes this.
  8. BigBird

BigBird blah

well ok then...mis-read that, guess he was excited to be off the POS Honda, but I don't think he'll finish much better than 10th regularly.

9. Boman Forklift

Yea!!!!

I am off the career killer and back home with KTM of another color.

10. Boman Forklift

I have no idea did he want to go or was he forced out by Ducati as well?

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

Rossi was the first to start the trend, but a lot of times riders will take their crew chief with them

Boman Forklift likes this.
  12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I would offer the counter-argument that Marquez made it more difficult for himself by sticking with Honda. Do you think he would have been GOATer by switching to Ducati when it clearly became a winning machine again?

Mick Doohan switched back screamer engines after dominating on big-bang engines just to mind fuck the competition. Do you think his legacy would've been more impressive by switching to a big-bang Yamaha instead? I think that the actual bike matters more in making those assessments than the sticker on the gas tank.

Just my opinion.
    They both are factory bike riders with Honda contracts. Just the team is different. I would say he might be better off than his former teammate. Friendly family atmosphere on the team and much less media scrutiny.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't know the specifics of this case but I would guess that there is a 90% chance that Ducati would have preferred to keep him. A lot of times, when the riders change teams, the hold in signing their contract is the extended negotiation to bring crewmembers with them.

BigBird and Boman Forklift like this.
  14. cbush

cbush Well-Known Member

Good thought.

But Honda has won like 15 of the last 32 championships. Yamaha 13, Suzuki and Ducati 2 each. Historically, there is no precedent for riders jumping from Honda or Yamaha because they perceive one of the other bikes to be dominant over the short term. The overwhelmingly established precedent is that riders stay at a winning team, particularly at Honda and Yamaha, as long as they can.

The fact that only 2 riders have won championships with different manufacturers in the last 23 years (while 6 others have won with a single manufacturer), speaks to the difficulty of doing so.

BigBird likes this.
  15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, but how many of the six were able to repeat as they stayed with the same manufacturer? I think it's winning multiple championships that's difficult, not so much doing it on different brands.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  16. cbush

cbush Well-Known Member

Another good point.

Of the 4 who won multiple, 2 (Rossi and Casey) did it on different bikes, and 2 (Lorenzo and Marquez) on the same.

Interesting observation just occurred to me - the pairings (Rossi/Casey and Lorenzo/Marquez) each have 9 MotoGP titles between them.

17. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Throw Pedrosa in there and that is the pinnacle of MotoGP racing.

18. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

I feel your ignoring Eddie Lawson(jumped from Yamaha where he won 3 championships, two in a row. Then he went to Honda for 1 year, where he won a championship), and to a certain extent discounting Rossi(jumped from Honda to Yamaha, won championships on back to back).

kirk erlinger likes this.
  19. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

20. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Winning multiple championships on different brands is certainly more impressive. Once you've got one brands model to your liking, I would consider it easier than making different brand models achieve a championship.

cbush likes this.