1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica - Round One - Road Atlanta 04/21-23

Discussion in 'General' started by motodog650, Apr 5, 2023.

1. MrGooch

MrGooch Well-Known Member

Josh's own response was that he pulled the lever to his knuckles, got basically nothing, then had to move his fingers and pull the lever again to get any kind of actual stopping power.

Also he specifically said that, with normal head shake coming out of a corner or over kerbs, he would deliberately drag the front brake on the straight to push the pads back out. Problem was that the head shake was not from the contact but from running over a bump at the left side of the track only a couple meters before the braking zone.

I can't stand the guy, but his own explanation makes perfectly good sense.

I actually think he might have been able to make the corner on a normal line (makes up very little ground on Scholtz, alongside him, during the up-and-down phase of braking).

2. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

Years ago I was testing an ABS set up at Road Atlanta and discovered an issue as I reached for the front brake going into 10a. I ended up blowing through the corner and ran through the gravel trap. Looking at the data I was at 178mph as I grabbed the lever and had no brakes for 0.4 seconds. I briefly thought I could still make the corner but also had no rear brake at that moment as well.

Listening to Josh's explanation I have no reason to doubt him. The dude is super talented and I believe he did everything he could not to torpedo anyone in that situation. Thankfully it all turned out ok.

3. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Dude...I know you race. Are you just being obtuse to be funny? Or are you on the Herrin is a dick bandwagon, so can't be objective about an incident? I've had the exact same thing happen, in the same place, except I didn't realize I lost brakes until the top of the hill. This was back when it was the gravity cavity, and although it was probably closer to 140mph, it still was a lot to process in a short period of time. Putting myself in his shoes, at that moment, I can 100% see him not processing the possibility of having to pump the brakes after the contact. Not only that, who's to say he wasn't trying to pump them? Different bikes and all, but for me it usually takes a few pumps. That would put him right through the trap. And BTW, I'm not saying he had or didn't have anything. I wasn't on his bike. But I've been in that situation, and can see where his claims hold water.

grasshopper likes this.
  4. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Stanboli mentioned on the show Wednesday night that Brembo makes a caliper that is pretty much immune to pad spread. You know how much he loves Herrin so he was skeptical, but also he didn't know what calipers are on the Ducati.

I take Herrin's explanation at face value; I have no reason to doubt him.

henry_carlson likes this.
  5. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

I'd put myself in the 'Herrin Hater' category, but I can think of plenty of things in that situation that could end in that result. Heck, being that far off line, I'd probably also be thinking of how dirty that part of the track was, what affect losing the wing might have, how much the load in my shorts might impact my ability to stay on the bike.... Just a split second of processing before I even go for the brakes, and you're at the apex.

6. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Cam's cat like reflexes to stand his bike up that little bit he did prevented a total shitshow...that much is a fact.

7. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Im on the Herrin Hate Wagon as well but fuck Im just glad nobody died there. That could have gone very wrong in an instant.

8. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

First I’ve heard of pad spread on the Ducati’s. Not an issue in WSBK, or British Superbike as far as I can tell.

Excuses, throw them against the wall and see if they stick…

ToofPic and MELK-MAN like this.
  9. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Don’t overthink it. He bumped bikes with Cam at a high rate of speed, then tried to brake late into 10 and the bike got out of shape on the last lap of a Superbike race battling for the lead/podium. If that’s not a racing (non) incident, I don’t know what is.

10. Ducman851

Ducman851 Been told I’m that guy, but I’m really not

You sir made me wipe my computer screen. Where do I send the bill for the beer I spit out laughing?:crackup::crackup::beer:

11. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Coming together to defend Herrin... truly an upside down world :crackup:

12. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

She did freaking awesome well above her years. In fact she was better than the paid commentators... Period

13. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

HOW DARE YOU ! how can you not take his word for what happened ! ! you're being "obtuse" ..
    lol..

I'm still having a tough time with those that insist "he had no brakes!".. however he somehow slowed to almost the same speed as everyone else entering 10a. maybe that is what happened. i can't know for sure, but nor can anyone else unless blindly accepting what JH2 says.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2023
    r6fast and ToofPic like this.
  14. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

He was totally off the race line in "no man's land" when he came into contact with Cam...got pushed wide...I imagine the grip was not the same coming down the hill. Off line he was fortunate not to crash and probably needed to change his undies :crackup:

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

A real beer connoisseur would have licked the screen…

No, wait. That’s an alcoholic. :D

KneeDragger_c69 and Ducman851 like this.
  16. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

RED MIST!!! PERIOD!!!
    Road Atlanta is my home track.I could hear it from my house.I've ridden there sine 91 from everything from a 500 gamma,rs250,400s,600's,1100s,1k,old gravity cavity,all the fukn changes,tank slappers,and not once!!!! have I ever experienced that whole tank slap ,pads seperation..but! Im no superstar loud mothed midget with the mentality of a pissed off 12 yo girl at a skating ring on a friday night. I can't remember anyone else doing it either,but then again,theres only been one Superstar to grace that track. Guess he needs to work on setup? Its amazing he made it the whole race,and very unfortunate that that whole brake speration thingy just happend on the last lap,cause he surely wasnt pissed off,let alone a lying sos. Just an old washed up fellas opinion :D (smiley face so no one can be mad):)

17. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Not sure I got all that. Please elaborate.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  18. ToofPic

psssttttt....were talking about that fella that rides and cries at the end of races on a red bike.He's also that happy guy that punts the leader of the Daytona 200,and is then very happy.That Guy! :Poke:

19. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

You slay me with your east coast/ west coast humor, old timer.

ToofPic likes this.
  20. ToofPic

Stop it!! West coast humor!! These "people" will never understand good ol southern humor! Just told a lady this morning,I was fucking this horse,and she just needed to hold its tail,and she lost her shit laughing!! I love! but don't piss on my boots and tell me its raining! :D:p