1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica | 2024 | Silly Season

Discussion in 'General' started by 418, Sep 24, 2023.

1. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

The lack of income is pretty true at that 18-21 age bracket. I certainly didn't have the cash for a motorcycle in those days. There's still a good chunk of guys in that 25-35 age group out at the track, or here in CO, riding sportbikes in the canyons. I saw a group of 10-15 riders out just last Saturday.

I don't think it's all doom and gloom just because the national series doesn't seem to be healthy. The stacyc generation is still pretty young, and I see a lot mtb influencers and racers on motos on Instagram. The step from eMTB to moto doesn't seem that crazy, and surely there will be some bleed over into the road side with that.

2. AndrewG725

AndrewG725 Well-Known Member

skiing costs a few hundred bucks or less, road racing costs minimum tens of thousands of dollars. Kind of a joke to compare them like that

3. AndrewG725

That’s the pipeline to motocross and supercross, not to GP circuits tho

Once a Wanker.. and YamahaRick like this.
  4. AndrewG725

they pour money into it because they get a return, since the racing is highly entertaining and exciting, and competitive.

I’ve fallen asleep watching superbike multiple times, I’ve definitely never fallen asleep watching supercross.

Gixxerguy855 and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  5. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Yeah, true. I guess there's a reason Ducati and Triumph are getting into MX. Maybe they see that as the future of racing. Dunno.

AndrewG725 likes this.
  6. AndrewG725

Probably. It’s a lot more accessible as a sport. The USA has a lot of open space for dirt tracks too that many countries don’t really have. I kinda want to race my kx250 just because it’s so much cheaper. Maybe 1/10 the cost

7. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

My grandma hips get wrecked by sportbikes. I have a 450 supermoto that I like a lot. But I see a 250 or 125 in my future next year.

AndrewG725 likes this.
  8. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

If you want more road racers:

I think it starts with this:

1.jpg

and

1.jpg

Which leads to this:

[​IMG]

and

1.jpg

AND ...

1.jpg

Last edited: Dec 18, 2023
  9. YamahaRick

OH ... and don't forget the importance of THIS (The man in the hat), something that is very absent in the world of a vast majority of kids these days.

1.jpg

10. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised by the number of people at the track I hear talking about credit, like loans on their bike or toy hauler, like it is normal.

MA did a short privateer interview on YouTube, I think it's called for love of the sport or something like that. The rider said they were funding the racing in part with credit cards.

Racing or riding on credit is not sustainable long term, and I don't think we have seen the longer term effects yet of increased interest rates and inflation.

11. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

Shit, I have.
    When there is a run away race after 10 minutes in. Snooze time.
    But, either way, the ROI for the bike companies is there. The weekend warriors want to ride the color of the bike that won. They want to wear the kit of the guy that won. Even if they are sitting on the tailgate of their truck and drinking beer talking about how cool they are. Parking area racers buy dirtbikes.
    Knucklehead bagger Boyz buy bagger bikes.
    Simple correlation for me.
    But it's just my take.

AndrewG725 likes this.
  12. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

You would absolutely be shocked at the amount of businesses and especially riders and teams that go the whole season on cards and have to try multiple cards each race to pay for anything

13. AndrewG725

if CC didn’t exist I probably wouldn’t have raced most of the last 8 years LOL. Pretty sure that’s the same for most riders my age that don’t have a rich family

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  14. YamahaRick

I was a WERA Novice in 1997. I still remember the weekend at Memphis Motorsports when a rider crashed into a guard rail and was paralyzed. Then learning a little later he had no medical insurance. The sound I heard when impact was made, as well as the deafening silence afterwards, will live with me forever.

ToofPic and AndrewG725 like this.
  15. AndrewG725

A motorcycle racing track had a guardrail? Wtf?!

16. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

You just hush. That isn't allowed to be said (out loud).

AndrewG725 and YamahaRick like this.
  17. YamahaRick

How old are you? 13?

You'd be shocked at what riders had to experience "back in the day." That includes GP-level racing as well.

Do you like hay?

[​IMG]

Dragginass, AndrewG725 and brex like this.
  18. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

'Nomics...nuff said.

AndrewG725 likes this.
  19. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Firebird raceway, last corner coming onto the straight, across the drag strip boxes and as close to the concrete wall with a couple hay balls as you dared.
    No big deal, just make sure you're on the correct line to miss the metal cover to the hole for the light tree.

Lots of things to hit there actually.

AndrewG725 likes this.
  20. AndrewG725

Hah… no I’m old now. I turned 30 this year

ToofPic likes this.