1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica | 2024 | Silly Season

Discussion in 'General' started by 418, Sep 24, 2023.

1. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

There are if you can't control your spending. The debit card will get declined when you run out of money, which helps some folks from overspending.
    I just use my debit card as an ATM card. I don't buy anything with it except on rare occasions overseas when sometimes the debit with pin will work and the CC won't. That has been happening less and less over time, particularly now that they are all chip cards and lots of places have Apple / Google pay as well.

stk0308 likes this.
  2. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

The debit card is plan B if the CC gets compromised while travelling.

I got off a plane in AZ to find my CC had been cut off from fraud. If I didn't have the Debit, it would have been a hard weekend.

3. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Not really because I was more comparing the risk / danger factor not the money.

4. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Just sell 1.5 tires and boom, you're rich. Sheesh.

5. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Loaded for sure.

I wasn't doing tires, I was helping at the Areacross. It was a good time, but I didn't want to live like I was homeless in the snow covered town.

6. L1MTD

L1MTD Well-Known Member

Elite post

7. koth442

koth442 Well-Known Member

+1

Years ago I was working for David Pare and he told me about all the times he was in debt racing. For reference, he was Rich Oliver's teammate on small bikes (250's or 400's I can't remember).

8. humblepie

humblepie Well-Known Member

Pare seemed like a pretty decent dude. I am wondering if his homicide was ever solved (thread jack unintentional).

SundaySocial likes this.
  9. koth442

koth442 Well-Known Member

He was a solid dude with the absolute worst luck in the world. They did catch his murderer though. He was murdered by the meth head son of his former business partner. I forget the guy's name, something like Assfuck McShitbucket.

They knocked the charges down to 2nd degree murder. The dude is probably out of jail by now...

10. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

...still paying off COTA 2023, and eying Daytona 2024...

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  11. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

you should have more than 1 credit card, dont be a rookie :)

stk0308, A. Barrister and YamahaRick like this.
  12. backbone

backbone scarred for life

I've been racing 27 years and I used a CC to cover the firstpart of my 2nd year. I haven't had a CC since. lol
    It was cheaper and easier to write a check for entries, bounce the mofo and pay it back the next week or before the next round with the bounced check fee than the damn CC fees.

AndrewG725 and koth442 like this.
  13. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

My issue with debit cards is that it is direct access to ALL the money in your account. If it gets compromised, it is much harder to get your money back.
    If your credit card is hacked, there are many avenues for disavowing the charges. And, it isn't your money they stole, it is the CC companies/Store's merchandise.

stk0308 likes this.
  14. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

This

15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Yes, one of my employees lost 2-3K this way and never got it back.

16. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Sure we can do that. Just make sure I get a consultation fee from MA and a SW first class round trip ticket from the Pellston airport to Daytona Beach for the 2024 Daytona 200

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeap!

If people hate credit cards get an Amex green that you pay off completely every month.

never use a debit card for any other than to get $20 here and there from a bank atm.

18. AndrewG725

AndrewG725 Well-Known Member

people are willing to take the risk, plus most people are just doing it casually, vs where motorcycle racing you can’t truly just be a casual

19. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Clearly we have different definitions of “casual” :crackup:

AndrewG725 likes this.
  20. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I know it wasn't shit, but it was a big deal for me :)