1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica 2022 silly season

Discussion in 'General' started by kenessex, Sep 20, 2021.

1. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I am not sure how it was before, but for 2022 a premier rider is guaranteed $3500 per race. There are 20 races on the calendar, so $70,000 per rider per year. That is independent on how they finish the races, they could get last every race and still get this.
    Attack has two riders, so $140,000.

2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Premier entrants in SBK aren't eligible for the finishing purse. I think this is a recent change. SS premier has never been eligible for the purse. So that was probably the decrease that Stanboli was talking about.

The tentative non-premier SBK purse is small for this year, $750 per race for the top 5 non-premier. That's the same as 11th-15th for SS. MA is definitely incentivizing SBK entrants to be premier. Or they are expecting all that to go to SBK Cup entrants.

I wonder if the application for premier entrant got a little more lenient. I suspect that MA has more revenue now and wonder if that also made it easier for MA to accept more entrants as premier.

rafa likes this.
  3. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

I always thought the Premier Purse was a really good idea. It incentivizes building a good marketable race program that could be used to platform for funding a top tier rider. This would then hopefully bring results/attract more funding.

As long as you showed up to every round with a well put together paddock presence you're getting a little cash your way. Doesn't matter if your SBK riders finish last. $14K a race weekend (for two bike team) may not be paying for everything, but I know if I was given $14K every race weekend, I would at least LOOK and FEEL better while being 25 seconds off the leader. LMAO

Obviously we all know there is not a lot of money in racing. But I would argue that fella's like Stanboli sure as shit ain't doing it for free.

Also I'm sure its somewhere in the contracts. However, even if the riders/teams aren't getting purse winnings for being "Premier", wouldn't they still be eligible for manufacturer contingency money? For example.. If you were set up as a two rider "Premier SBK" team and used Kawasaki ZX10RR's. You'd potentially be eligible for for $64,000 a weekend. (both your riders 1st/2nd both races) Kawi pays $15K to win and $10K to silver in SBK. That's $640K on the table for you to chase all year. NVM the funding (hopefully) coming in from other sponsors.

Or am I missing something? I know this is way harder than it sounds obviously.

4. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Too bad for Paasch. What an unfortunate injury. I’m no doctor, just been around racetracks my entire life and seen a lot of injured shoulders, but if his shoulder is so loose it pops out in bed, I’m guessing it’s probably not healing in 2 weeks?

noles19, koth442 and Namarow like this.
  5. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

All he needs is some of that elastic stick on tape that seems to be a huge fad these days and his shoulder should stay in the socket for the duration of the weekend.

6. prm

prm Well-Known Member

They had an ambulance to him very quickly.

7. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I am not sure what/if they changed, but the more premier teams the better, a bunch of semis looks good for the series versus RVs with trailers.

You are correct, I think the premier is a great idea as well. I am talking out of my ass here, so if I am wrong someone correct me, but I imagine if you are already running SBK or Stock1000, and want a bigger paddock presence, the premier money might be enough to pay the financing of the new paddock setup and added fuel costs.

I think premier entry might be the reason riders like Hayden Gillim, Corey Alexander and Travis Wyman (if I understood correctly) are racing full superbike as opposed to superbike cup.

8. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

He's talking about the second time when he popped it out sleeping.

prm likes this.
  9. stangmx13

I don't understand why riders like Gillim are doing SBK and STK1000 on different bikes. At that point, why not drop STK1000 and focus on SBK? What sponsor is going "we'll fund your SBK entry, but you gotta also fight for wins in STK1000"? Im so confused.

10. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

guess I've been sleeping, they're riding 2 separate bikes in SBK and STK1000? Is Superbike Cup not a thing this year for the STK1000 guys?

11. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I am wondering if he isnt doing it solely for the premier entry. Only SBK and Supersport have premier entries.
    The team is already having to be at all the races, they are already spending the money to race the superbike races as a superbikecup. Might as well race SBK and recoup some of that money.

Superbike cup is great, but its not really a championship.... I mean, there are no podiums. He could fight for the $25k prize money for winning the SuperbikeCup championship, or he can race in superbike and get $70k show money.

Gillim is running 2 different bikes, one in stock1000 and a different one in superbike

If I understood correctly Wyman and Alexander are racing the same bike in Stock1000 and Superbike.

Superbike cup still a thing.

12. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

He obviously didn't read the article on the moto America site.

13. stangmx13

I know of one more rider besides the above that is running SBK and STK1000 with 2 separate bikes. He said they'll be slowly transitioning one bike to SBK spec throughout the year. I'll say who if he never puts out a press release.

IMO, SuperbikeCup has always been an interim solution to convince the top STK1000 entrants to race SBK - or rather to show them that doing so is feasible. I'd say it's working. The premier entry subsidies is probably the largest incentive.

Gino230 and The Great One like this.
  14. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

So I'm guessing the $110 MA subscription fee you guys are paying to watch is helping to fund this?

15. stangmx13

Hopefully. It looks like MA Live+ is built using software from a company called ViewLift. MA is probably paying to license ViewLift's software, often called a whitelabel. Those sorts of software contracts can be anywhere from cheap to expensive. And it'll get increasingly less cheap to host and stream this much video content. It'd be hard to guess how much of the sub fee MA gets to keep.

Suzuka_joe and koth442 like this.
  16. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Probably some of it
    MotoAmerica has their own sponsors though. This year is AutoParts4less

17. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

Watched RE and JL along with Nassaney at Eagles Canyon on Monday and those M4 boys looked real good! Nothing like fast guys on fast bikes with good teams getting down to business! Didn’t get to watch Paasch as he crashed hard on Sunday.

ajcjr, Suzuka_joe and henry_carlson like this.
  18. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

My guess is you cant be a SBK premier entry as a superbike cup competitor. A dedicated SBK fulfills the requirement. I could RTFRB but that would take some effort...

koth442 likes this.
  19. Suzuka_joe

I wanted to go but I needed to go visit John at Hallet to pick up tires. sucks he crashed, I heard they broke the recently broken lap record again lol

20. Suzuka_joe

I thought the fee was like $60? pretty sure I was NOT charged $110 when it renewed