1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica 2021 | VIRginia International Raceway | May 21-23

Discussion in 'General' started by TX Joose, May 12, 2021.

1. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

It was way down on HP (especially compared to the Yamaha) and alot of the things they tried didn't work (custom pistons, etc.) It's only got one throttle body and a goofy manifold which isn't allowed to be modified by the rules. You can mod the TB but not replace. The bike is heavy. The question is, who is willing to spend the $$ to do the development work to get some power out of it? SuperBike Mike made a set of 43mm throttle bodies for a dirt track FZ that he tried on my bike a few weeks ago- $750, a month's work, and it went down 2 HP. He messed with the intake lengths and got it to go up a few but this is what I'm talking about. The custom piston experiment probably cost Bob Robbins $4K and went nowhere. Barney was riding the shit out of that thing.

2. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

I'm damn glad I don't have someone taping everything I say for hours. I bet it isn't pretty.:crackup:

23103a, Kris87, Gino230 and 1 other person like this.
  3. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

In between giving each other reach arounds.

4. Gino230

STK 1000 is 110% cutoff (supersport is 108%). If you don't make the 110% in Qualifying, but you were under 110% in practice, they will grid you. There is a limit to the number of bikes based on some FIM formula with track length, I believe it is 28 at Barber, for example- so you have to be in the top 28 there, regardless of the percentage.

Regarding provisional starts- Some guys went crazy at Road America last year asking / arguing for provisional starts (the track is so long there you'll never get lapped) and MA said no. I have seen them granted by guys telling half truths about mechanical issues. Personally, if I don't qualify, I won't race. But that's just me.

STK 1000 is going to be the new supersport- the rules are very restrictive and therefore it's the most budget oriented class. No more R6's being sold, Kawi is building a 636- the manufacturers aren't going to pour development money into producing 600s when they can barely sell the flagship 1000s. You're seeing huge grids in STK 1000 because Kawi pays contingency!

I think @younglion had it right- fans want to see bikes coming by- not just a pack of 5 guys every 2 minutes. If MA doesn't want the back markers or is happy with 10 bike grids, they will change the cutoff. Simple.

Watching the Live+ product and thinking about how we used to have to read magazines to find the results of the support races, maybe get to see a couple of pics from Brain J, and wait for Speed Channel re-runs, I think we have come a long way. It's not quite on par with MotoGP as an entertainment product-but damn, we're getting close.

Wishing for things to be "like the old days" when everyone was fast and billions were spent is just not reality. Accept MA for what it is, the best thing we have had going in pro racing for at least the last 1o years. Some of us wish we could cross the country on steam engine powered trains and jet planes that leave a black smoke trail and rattle the windows. But just like the 500's and tobacco funding, it just ain't gonna happen!

5. Gino230

Can we just start the Road America thread now by cutting and pasting the complaints about the Lappers, Announcing, Streaming, etc. from the this and the Road Atlanta thread? :Poke:

6. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

:crackup:

7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I always notice the side-by-side but haven't noticed Pridmore say ever so slightly. What I have noticed is how Pridmore pronounces Yaaaamaha, or some odd way I've never heard anyone else use?

But, I think they are doing a great job. I don't know Greg White, but have met Pridmore a few times, and he is a really good guy, IMO.

t11ravis likes this.
  8. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

Now all you will ever hear is JP and his multiple "ever so slightly" and "he's got pace !" comments. HA !
    JP has used "E.S.S." for many years now.
    Kidding and jabs aside, both JP and GW are good guys and work well together. Good knowledge and insight on riders and teams, but hey, it's what they are paid to do.

9. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

With a broken rib or two from his crash in the morning. It was hard to breathe. After the race on Sunday he was really hurting, definitely lots of courage.

10. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

I'd hesitate to call more than one or two tracks here "Euro Standard". They may pass homologation, but the condition of the track surfaces aren't really that great at a few of these tracks. (COTA anyone?). And runoff at a few of these tracks could certainly be better. And Barber is too short/tight in my opinion.

11. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Yeah, I really meant just the pavement not having patches. Not the whole design, runoff, facility standpoint. We’ve covered those gaps plenty for sure. I just can’t imagine what they must think riding at NJ and thinking about the Euro tracks they’ve raced on. COTA theoretically should be great, but if it got bumped up, it’s back to the economics of track management and race series in the US vs Euro. Our Monster Truck stadiums are better though! :crackup:

12. ungwaha

ungwaha Well-Known Member

Don't forget JP saying "He just let off the lever and threw in there."

13. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

I agree that issue did not exist in twins this weekend. It has happened in that class in the past though. Can't tell you which rounds off the top of my head (not this year) but it has happened. There have been twins cup races in the past where I would have beat some of the guys on the grid based on times I turned as a novice on a clapped out first gen with no suspension setup and a stock motor. And as I said previously, I was never a fast guy. While I did win many races as a novice, there were plenty of other novices that could run with/beat me so in my mind we were all running a WERA novice pace. I don't see how a WERA novice pace qualifies you for a pro grid. And there have definitely been twins races where a slew of backmarkers changed the outcome of the race.

14. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

I agree with the 110% cutoff and it would have eliminated 2 riders. As I recall, the very first lapper the leaders came up on was in T10 and that was the one that got my attention in regards to all this. So...

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No one does.

sbk1198 likes this.
  16. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

17. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

Greg White also talks about "S-Decay" an awful lot, and I'm not sure what he is referring to?

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Yea I always wondered why they called him by his initials versus Kelly?

badmoon692008 likes this.
  19. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

It is a mathematical constant used to calculate the rate at which any "standard" compound tire will degrade at a certain temperature (TE) and a given pace.

20. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

im curious if more jr cup riders will adopt the KTM with the speed that Ty Scott is showing on it.