1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monza, Italy | WSBK 2011 (spoilers)

Discussion in 'General' started by caferace, May 6, 2011.

1. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

this is EXACTLY why i took a stab at Tilke. and why i'm a little weary about Austin's new track, but i guess we'll see when it comes to. his track designs look asthetically beautiful on paper. like a nice flowy, pleasing design to look at, but the races at most of them are boring for whatever reason... mostly lack of passing zones. then with Austin he basically took 3 or 4 classic, awesome "looking" sections of famous tracks, and put them together so to speak... but if you look at those races by themselves, the zones he chose, are always the zones of the original track where passing is the hardest or doesn't happen.

there's many tracks of GP and F1 fame that i feel always produce boring races, but if you look at the drawing, you may think to yourself "hey, there's lots of turns and lots of various types of turns, this should be amazing." doesn't always translate. Monza looks stupid on paper, and its foreal been my favorite race of the past decade.

2. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Some of the new tracks (Portamaio, Aragon, Instanbul ) seem to be good for bikes. Not sure which, if any of these were Tilke designs. We'll see about Austin. Not sure what to think of it until I see bikes.

For now, it's Monza, just a tad north of Milano -- the industrial and design capital of Italy. Looking a the aerial, you see the whole park design; the check damn on the river <1 km from the edge of the track, in mixed ag/residential land use is pretty bitchin. There are a lot of people within sound distance. That configuration in the states seems entirely impossible.

3. caferace

caferace No.

Istanbul and Aragon, both great circuits for bikes in safety and competitive racing and loved by riders.

ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermann_Tilke#List_of_Circuits

-jim

4. AndyR1

AndyR1 Well-Known Member

If you get a chance, watch the Superstock 600 race. You'll see Day make some awesome passes on the brakes. 6th place to 2nd in one turn! He had the announcers saying his name more than any other one's name. Man he's making that Kawi look good.

5. Demented

Demented Well-Known Member

600 superstock was just an absolute mess of a race.

6. JT252

JT252 Well-Known Member

that kawi looked reallyyyyy slow....and i cant believe that dude wrecked on the warm up lap....thats why you dont go 20 mph down on the backstraight during the warm up lap......what happened to dehaven did he go off early i saw he came in like 22nd or something.

But that was an awesome race by day

7. Demented

Someone cut across the guys nose and took his front wheel out on the warm-up lap. He turned around to look behind him and some dude drifted about 8' over not paying attention. Was actually starting to go look behind himself when he hit the guy's front wheel.
    Don't know how the Marshals missed the oil or fuel that was spilled in the braking zone. Thought it was going to be like Nurburgring all over again.

Though, on a lighter note, I think FIM needs to find a new person to generate story titles.
    http://www.fim-live.com/en/media/ne.../1304795360-biaggi-and-aprilia-blow-them-all/

8. caferace

caferace No.

9. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

Eugene Laverty leading the race, nice to see that.

10. caferace

caferace No.

:stupid: :up:

-jim

11. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

Looks like Chaz has it wrapped up for two in a row.

12. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

Man, those Yamaha's look unstoppable in SuperSport.

13. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

Ha, and Biaggi with a ride through penalty

It just shows that the Yamaha's weren't the problem last year, it was the riders.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  14. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

That kid has got some killer talent! Representing us mid-Florida dudes!

15. Chand

Chand Well-Known Member

Where did you watch that race?

Thanks

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Sounds like Stonex got their money's worth. lol!

17. Demented

Really early in the year, but I'm willing to put money down on Race 2 being the race of the year.

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It was phenomenal!

I can't understand how someone with the Biaggi's experience still makes a mistake like that. He had enough time to stop in the runoff area to show that he wasn't trying to gain time.

19. Demented

He had enough time to just stay on the brakes and run wide and slow into the first chicane. Corser managed it even with Haga up on his inside. No reason Biaggi couldn't have, unless they were just getting too carried away about trying to be the fastest down the straight.

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

On Speed, in 5 minutes.

You're welcome.