Minimum Wage vs Welfare vs The Wealthy

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Jul 26, 2012.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

2 cells phones, a 52" plasma w/ satellite, Xbox and a Wii, and a 1987 Buick Century station wagon on $5,000 wheels and tires.

You mortgaged the dirt under your fingernails for a bowl of surplus UNICEF gruel.

2. gaitherb

gaitherb Well-Known Member

Now that's funny...!:crackup:

3. kangasj

kangasj Banned

I guess the thing that makes me mad is there used to be jobs where you could work hard....oh, say in manufacturing, and be middle class. Those jobs are gone, the people at the top are still making huge sums of money....and when they fuck up, the government bails em out. That's the shit that pisses me off. Too big to fail they say...

4. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Ain't it? I sure did get a laugh out of it. I could almost see him getting ready to punch me through his monitor...LOL...

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Kang, funny you brought that up. We looked hard at bringing a portion of our manufacturing to the US but. . . it ain't happening under the current President. There is no stability, the "tax the companies" mantra would squeeze the razor thin margins to the breaking point and, plain and simple, we don't want to be told what to do by idiots who don't know a rectifier from a rectum.

"You didn't build that!" You're right, Special officer Doofie, but only because you've done more to destroy the small business manufacturing base than the previous 5 POTUS.

6. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. kangasj

kangasj Banned

I know Dave. Our government IS the problem. Frustrates the hell out of me.

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Government is at least part of the reason those jobs are no longer here. Add to that all of us wanting more for less and there you go. We want 52" TV's and cars with all the bells and whistles along with affordable clothes and such on incomes that can't cover the cost of labor that wants the same stuff.

9. gaitherb

Part of jobs not being in the US is the global race to the bottom for the cheapest labor and for those countries willing to subsidize a corportion's infrastructure -- we will build you a facility if you bring jobs to country X.

The cost of labor is finally going up in China. But there are other countries were workers are willing to be exploited.

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

As long as this is the trend (and, short of sanctions and tariffs) we have no control over labor flight. Raising the minimum wage under this scenario will only accelerate job loss.

11. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

It's the student loan scam that gets me...the Banksters got the bankruptcy laws changed so that our youth couldn't get out of giant bubble sized student loan debt when the promised jobs didn't materialize.....

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Like the southern US and Mexico? ;) There was pull back from China in the electronics industry but that's slowed down under the Economic Expert.

13. gaitherb

I agree with you on all those points. But there is this impression that the US is hostile to corporations and that's the primary driver of companies moving jobs overseas.

The primary driver is, however, corporations are profit driven (as they should be) and each one can cut their largest expense by hiring low-paid workers to perform the exact tasks of a US worker at a minimal cost, because the US affords workers a floor of basic rights -- including minimum wage.

14. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Then stop being "average" and try to be excellent.

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Yup. It seems that you only matter if you're top level white collar or a welfare recipient. Nearly all I those companies that got huge bailouts dumped thousands of middle class workers in order to get their bottom lines in order and make their stockholders happy. In return, the leadership got massive bonuses while the workers got cornholed with a barbed wire wrapped baseball bat.

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

That's an argument against government bailouts. BTW, odds are good that at least some of the "workers" were stockholders through pensions or IRAs.

17. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Or apply sheep's 90/90 Law: 90% of the world is complete and utter morons. Of the remaining 10%, 90% choose to act like complete and utter morons.

For the doubters go to WalMart on Saturday when the majority of everybody can go and watch for 15 minutes the real cross section of populace.

18. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Surely there are some but....

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2007/10/09/who-earns-the-minimum-wage/

19. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

And shipping the jobs overseas has nothing to do with the current tax rules that allow taking credits/deductions for doing so.

There was a bill in Congress to remove those incentives to move jobs offshore.

It was defeated in the House. It didn't get enough votes (60) for consideration in the Senate. Both votes were on party lines.

20. klebs01

klebs01 Well-Known Member

What code section? What are the knock on effects if that section is changed?