Minimum Wage vs Welfare vs The Wealthy

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Jul 26, 2012.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

If tax breaks for the wealthy and government bailouts help the economy, please explain this:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/25/opinion/henry-owens-minimum-wage/index.html

All this talk about redistribution of wealth, marxism, etc is bullshit. What's going to happen when ALL of the wealth is isolated at the very top of the income pool? For years, the only buying power the middle class has had has been credit. Now that the majority of that has dried up, savings and wages are being re-allocated to keep the bills paid. What happens to the economy when the people that keep it moving, the WORKERS, are all completely broke and everything just stops?

2. kangasj

kangasj Banned

You just don't get it. The people at the top have worked hard for their money and earned every penny. They are the engine of the economy. They are the job producers. Phuck the working middle class. They earn what their worth. And yes, I'm being totally sarcastic.

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I'm glad you added that last line. I was trying to figure out a way to stab you through the internet!:up:

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Ignoring, just for the moment, the tax cuts for the 1%. Raising the minimum wage WILL increase the prices of goods and services which will, in short order, erode the buying power you increased by legislation. The issue is not the minimum wage. Minimum wage was never intended to be a career path. They are starter jobs. The issue is the overall economy, and that is not just limited to the US. Governement is not going to get us out of the mess, they got us here in the first place.

5. kangasj

kangasj Banned

LOL, I just wanted to raise your blood pressure a bit then medicate you with my disclaimer. I am alarmed at the redistribution of wealth that has been happening in this country. It makes me sick. Something is broken.

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I agree. The issue ISN'T the minimum wage, it's that the minimum wage jobs are all that there are available. There are fewer and fewer good paying, "average person" jobs every day.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Tax cuts or increases are not going to change that. Predictable and consistent regulation (since there is no way we will get less) would help.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Keep in mind 49% of the entire country is below average.

9. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Wrong. Many minimum wage earners support families on one or more minumum wage jobs.

Question: Is there a net loss or gain to the economy/society from a minimum wage? If so, is the cost worth it?

And yeah, US industry shipping jobs overseas had nothing to do with the current economic malaise. ;)

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

uh? :confused:

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well, it could be 50% but I figure those right at the 50-51% mark could be the average, lat leave 49 below and 49 above :D

As for my point - there aren't really that many "average persons" out there, no need for a lot of average jobs. Shitload of below average tho, so a pretty good need for minimum wage jobs and the like.

12. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Rethink that, and replace average with the middle two quartiles and it makes more sense.

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

This

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I did not say people didn't try to support a family on minimum wage. I said that it was not intended to be a wage you could use to support a family. Raising minimum wage increases prices and reduces the number of minimumwage opportunites. What is that cost?

15. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Tree fiddy. :up:

When a dish dog is making $12/hour, expect your hamburger and fries to cost $25.

How many times per week will you be eating out at that price?

16. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Oh hell, going to pay one way or the other. Either through a slightly more expensive meal....or you can subsidize them through welfare......which do you prefer?

17. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Neither...no work? no food! :p

18. duck62

duck62 V7 Scooter

What is the current poverty level?????

What is it in other countries????

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Isn't this another attempt at class warfare spun in a way to make it seem more scientific?

Sorry, I've worked my ass off to get to the level I am (no idea if I'm upper middle, lower upper, super duper upper lower or middle middle upper lower) and I feel no obligation to help anyone else who chooses not to work as hard.

20. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Duck62...Depends on the family size and obviously where you live. Not posting all those numbers here. Look it up on that internet thing...