1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Range Shooting Rifle Options

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

No, the barrel I ordered is not a stock item pre-fit and I was too cheap to pay for expediting the order, add another 2 weeks or so for the cyro. I’m going to pull the stock barrel nut off with a pipe wrench, it’s a throw away anyway. Coming with a new custom nut with flats.

that’s a fine four shot group, 5 shot groups are overrated anyhoo.

groundhogday likes this.
  2. groundhogday

groundhogday Well-Known Member

I think I'd be a little more comfortable with a more vertical grip. I can see the possibility of a chassis in the future. I've had a thing for the KRG Bravo for a while. That group shows the potential is there. I'm guessing those first 4 shots were a little over half an inch. When I get my fundamentals solid it may very well be a sub half minute rifle. If I ever wear the barrel out I'll probably go up to a 24" just to pick up some velocity, but there's nothing wrong with the stock one.

3. groundhogday

For the more experienced than myself, how much weight are you putting on your cheek weld in prone position? Also, any tips on dealing with flinching?

4. lizard84

I don't overthink it (cheek weld) I have the rifle setup for my body and make sure my setup on the bench so it is comfortable and repeatable. As far as flinching is concerned, practice make prefect. I suggest you practice without live ammo, if you are having an issue you should be creating good habits and technique during dry fire practice, lots of it.

groundhogday likes this.
  5. groundhogday

Thanks. I'm gonna reset my eye box (it needs to go forward for prone) and try to go shooting again this evening.

6. groundhogday

7. lizard84

As far as factory ammo offerings go you rifle will probably like Hornady Match and Hunter the best , I had w Weatherby that loved Barnes 130 gr but alas, I find myself in need of a semi-auto shotgun so I've sold it.

groundhogday likes this.
  8. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Texas ammunition has hornady 6.5 cr eldx for 39.99 box. pretty good deal. Ski

groundhogday likes this.
  9. groundhogday

ELDM is mostly what I've shot out of it. American Gunner too. Both types are more capable than I am at this point. I ordered ELDM from grabagun Sunday. Bud's has similar pricing, but GaG has better shipping prices. If the Barnes sticks around at that price for a while I'll probably try some of it. At $10/box cheaper I can live with it. That's Sellier & Bellot money for supposed quality match grade ammunition.

10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Imma just leave this here

Attached Files:

backbone likes this.
  11. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

12. groundhogday

I really don't know, but they sent me an email that they're getting low on stock so I'm gonna order a box or 4.
    @lizard84 seeing where Hornady admitted to using a powder during that they now don't have access to. Hence the lower velocities. But they didn't bother to update the claimed velocity. A lot of videos on YouTube showing up to 200 fps slower than what's on the box. Pretty shady imo.

13. groundhogday

Waited too long and now it's $36. FML

14. lizard84

Working with Montana Rifle Company and an authorized dealer on my last rifle, .375 H&H control feed bolt action. Bucket list item for a hunt in Alaska, Africa or both. Really looking forward to the next/last chapter.

Steak Travis likes this.
  15. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Curious, if Alaska is chosen, what would the preferred prey be?

16. lizard84

Caribou, bear, possibly moose. The .375 H&H is a bucket list cartridge, I’ve always wanted one. I’ve fired one at the range and it was relatively soft shooting compared to some of the younger cartridges I’ve fired. Its ammo is relatively easy to come by, particularly in Africa.

17. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I'm completing a 375 Raptor (AR10 platform) that I plane to shoot within the next couple of days. I wanna see what the round can do. I initially built the firearm for black bear but I also wanna consider moose as well. Those are large animals and I'd definitely need some assistance in the field processing/transporting such a large animal. I'm collecting various 375 caliber bullets now. At the moment 270 grain Speer and Hornady Interlock will be my primary bullet choice. I just ordered some 190 grain Maker brand bullets. What bullets weights/manufacturers are you considering?
    I've been researching various locations that allow out of state hunters and the cost associated with hunting most in various states. It's expensive!

lizard84 likes this.
  18. lizard84

Plan on trying 300g Swift A-Frames, 235, 270 & 300 Barnes, see what groups and what doesn’t. I believe someone makes accubonds also, can’t remember what weight.

19. lizard84

You right, it’s extremely expensive.

20. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Moose are not that hard to kill. Lots have been killed with 223 and 30.30. But generally speaking, I prefer 30.06 or better. I had a 375 Ruger, but it really was overkill for me. I am having another custom Mauser built in 350 Remington mag. For me, it can be loaded to whatever I need since I don't plan on hunting Africa where it may not meet the minimum required caliber. I may hunt Alaska again but I doubt it. I used the Sierra 225 Gameking at 2600 fps on the last 3 moose I shot.

lizard84 likes this.