1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Range Shooting Rifle Options

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I've looked at both the 8.6 and 375 Raptor. Friend that makes solid copper bullets for a few of the big companies recommended it to me years ago when I asked about big bore calibers. If you are shooting subsonic, the whole game is an expanding bullets at subsonic speeds. Since your velocity is limited, the next thing is the biggest chunk of lead (or copper in this case) that you can throw downrange. 55-77gr for 5.56 round, 125-250gr for 300 blackout, 125-180 for 308, 8.6 looks like around 250-350gr bullets (solid copper as you are limited in construction by the twist), and Raptor 250-400gr.

I think all of them will be around for a while. I haven't looked but it will be interesting to see who gets behind the 8.6. None of the big ammo manufacturers are making either of the two rounds at this point. If Hornady gets behind one, it will be the winner. But Q/KB has some issues in the industry that leads some companies to not be in that camp, so it's all a guess at this point. I think either would be a fun round, but I just bought a 45-70 (Marlin 1895 Dark) to cover my big bore needs. I can send a 500gr chunk of lead downrange at subsonic speeds for cheap fun, or throw a 500gr expanding copper subsonic, or 300gr high speed fun. I'm not shooting this thing far (100 yards max), but it's fun. Well except for the kick. Loaded some 350gr light loads yesterday and was a bit surprised at the recoil. Maybe I shouldn't have spent an hour shooting 22's right before that. :)

redtailracing likes this.
  2. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Yes on the SBR. No permission needed on the suppressor. :beer:

3. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Please tell me you're gonna suppress that 1895. One of the next builds I want to kick off (as if I need another one) is a 1895 SBL that I'd like to throw a modern rail on (but leave the wood stock) and suppress it. Will figure optic out when I get there.

4. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

That’s the plan. Dead Air primal.
    I bought the Dark version. Figured I can add a wood stock later if I want (or a Form if I can find one for cheap(er). Either a good red dot or if I can find a Leupold 1.5-5 scout firedot scope somewhere.

Attached Files:

socalrider and redtailracing like this.
  5. groundhogday

groundhogday Well-Known Member

Doing some more research, there's a SH thread where Glenn Seekins says it's NOT a switch barrel design meant to routinely break down for transport and return perfectly to zero. He said some even expected it to maintain zero switching to a completely different caliber. From asking a question on a YouTube video, an owner said his is within 0.2 mills after removing and re installing the same barrel.

6. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Kiddo saw this one online; Ruger 10/22 TALO TWAM USA 2024. Who am I to say “no?” Picked it up from the neighbor kitchen table FFL. Will see how it shoots tomorrow once I decide on what optic to mount: probably a red dot /EOTECH of some sort, but might use the SWFA I have laying around. Dunno!

FullSizeRender.jpeg

lizard84 and skidooboy like this.
  7. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

I was tempted yesterday with all of the 03/08, .308 sales, to try one. Unsure how much more or less recoil, the 308 would have vs the 6.5 PRC that was giving me flinching issues. Conflicting info on recoil numbers on the googles. Ski

8. Resident Plarp

Silencers help in every caliber. Funny enough, the 1st grader wanted to try the .308, and being the quick little punk that she is, went ahead and took the shot before I could confirm she had a proper check weld.

Turns out the recoil knocked out a stubborn loose tooth. She was scheduled to have to pulled the next week. So, recoil can be good, sometimes.

MachineR1, redtailracing and Sabre699 like this.
  9. skidooboy

^^^^ LOL!

Ski

10. Resident Plarp

Yeah dude, straight up no cap. Saved me $75.
    toofus.jpg

skidooboy likes this.
  11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Buck Doyle has been putting work in with a Larue Siete recently and it's a laser.

12. skidooboy

Yeah... for 4000.00+ it should come with someone to shoot it well for you too. LOL! I wished Mark would have a one barrel option instead of the 2 barrel, and all the crap for one low low price of 4k. Mind you I am not knocking Larue, I have 2, 18" stealth uppers one on an S&W lower, and one on a Larue lower, and they shoot better than most bolt guns. I would love a Siete but, he needs to lower the price, and add caliber options. Just my humble opinion. Ski

13. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Just for shits & giggles I ordered a X- Caliber prefit barrel for my Ruger 7mm PRC. They are currently having one of their sales. My rifle shoots tight groups but it’s a contour is a sporter so it opens up if you don’t give it time to cool. I’ve read various reviews but with the sale it seems like a good bet.
    I went 2 inches longer (26) standard target contour, cyro-treated.

Curious to see the minimal increase in fps I get by going two inches longer.

14. Resident Plarp

15. groundhogday

Is cryo treatment legit? I'm curious to see what your velocity does too. Every video I've seen has velocities in the 28XX range with 24" barrels.

16. Resident Plarp

Liveqordie.com is offering a spiffy deal right now: buy The Fix or Mini Fix rifle from your preferred LGS, get a free Q silencer to go with it. You just gotta pay for the stamp.

17. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Read up on it on Snipers Hide, I’m not feeling it for the money, seems like overall The Fix is a fixer upper. F4 Defense, JP Enterprises, Wilson Combat all seem like better more accurate bets that are turnkey if you’re going to drop that amount of coin.

18. Resident Plarp

You’re not wrong, depending on what you’re after. I don’t think there’s a sub five pound gun that does as much as The Fix. You get a folding stock, and two minute barrel changes for whatever you’re after. Magazines are off the shelf and the trigger is really good, too. It’s not a PRS rifle, but rather, a proper hunt rifle you can carry into the woods without feeling like you’re dragging an anchor along.

19. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

This is why I want one. Well that and the insane performance of the 8.6. Saw the suppressor deal the other day as well as Freedom Trading is offering a free Q rifle bag with it as well. Man to say I'm tempted is an understatement. I just really don't have the coin at the moment. But at least the sale goes on through mid-May so I've got some time to figure something out lol.

20. groundhogday

Have you gotten the new barrel yet? The Little Crow wrench is the only one I've seen for the American barrel nut. I guess that and a barrel vise are all that's needed to change? Plus go and no go gauges.
    I put about 40-50 rounds down range. I did better than last time. I went as far as 400 yds. Kinda frustrating that I can't spot my hits at that distance. Send 3-5 rounds then have to drive back to the target to find out I need to hold 2 moa for wind. I need a spotting scope. My breathing still sucks. I have a terrible flinching problem. I shot what would have been my best hundred yard group ever, but I choked on the 5th shot when I saw it was gonna be a good one.

20240322_184342.jpg

Jedb likes this.