1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Range Shooting Rifle Options

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. BC

BC Well-Known Member

RichB likes this.
  2. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Thanks, I like his process, very thorough. Check out his other stuff, heavy slant towards gunsmithing.

3. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

set up a budget 1000 yard rifle. Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmor, heavy 22" barrel with Brake, Magpul hunter stock, Vortex pro mounts, Vortex Crossfire 2, 6x24x50 AO BDC reticle scope. took it to the range today to sight in. started at 25yds after a half assed bore sight.

was hitting paper with Nosler 129gr accubond so, I made some adjustments, & went to 100, tightened the groups to about 1.5" high, then went and made the steel sing at 200, for fun. that is far as our local range goes. Had a goofy thing happen with the Nosler's... had a fail to fire situation. waited several seconds with the gun in the sled, ejected the shell, found the primer case had failed. looks like the cap just fell off, after the strike. what it really looks like is the firing pin drove the primer into the case but, I know that isnt what happened. not sure whether to contact Nosler or not. recently purchased, factory loaded ammo. first time I have experienced a factory load failure, ever.

Went back to 100, at the end of the session, with Hornady Precision Hunter eldx 143gr, shot a 1/2" group. fully impressed with this set up. need to learn to shoot further distances, to get to my end goal 8" gong at 1000 consistently.
    creedmor sunny bench.jpg

creedmor shade bench.jpg

creedmor group.jpg
    Nosler failure.jpg

casjoker likes this.
  4. I’m a data guy and he did about as good as he needed to get the point across. Thanks for posting. Interesting read.

5. I would even if it’s to just let know out of courtesy. Depending on the situation one little difference could end up not as good as you got away with.

6. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Sent an email through their website this morning. they are west coast so, it may take them a while to get it, and respond. Ski

7. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

So i think im closer to picking up a "hunting" rifle but unsure of which.
    1. I dont hunt but maybe someday so its gonna do range time mostly
    2. i want it in .308
    Im interested in the savage 110 (24 inch barrel) and probably the tactical version (let me know why not that version)
    Also interest in the tikka t3x compact tactical rifle. Their site really sucks as it doesnt give you much info on specs. Like whats the difference between lite compact and lite or all those 3?
    The bergara hmr is looking nice also but really trying to stay away from a stock like that eventhough adjustability is awesome but takes away from my "hunting" look. Seems a tad heavy also.
    Needs to stay under $1k
    Thoughts??

8. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Tikka CTR in 308 hands down. I've hunted with one in 6.5 for about 2 seasons with a suppressor and it's light enough to not feel like a bench gun but you'll be able to ring steel to 1000. The action is tighter, stock and build will feel much better than the savage. Buy once cry once with the tikka. The savage will shoot but the tikka is an all around better rifle

The bergara is also great but if you don't like the stock go with the Tikka.

[​IMG]

9. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I was looking for a hunting rifle last year. Never been hunting but should the occasion occur, I'm ali ready. I considered Tikka and the Bergara. Then I was considering either the .308 or the 6.5 Creedmoor. I never intend, at least for the moment, to shoot pass 2oo yards with this firearm. I reload all the cartridges that I shoot. I will be playing with some subsonic .308 loads when my suppressor becomes available. :rolleyes: I went with the Ruger American because I dont plan to use this rifle too often and I didnt want to put too much money into a rifle that would see limited use.

sanee likes this.
  10. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

The answer is always Tikka.

sanee likes this.
  11. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

checks all the boxes for me, granted id love to have a 24" barrel but if thats how its made im fine with it. What was second choice for you?

12. Steak Travis

13. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

14. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Second you wrote "ergo" - get the Tikka.

Recently picked up a Bergara Wilderness Ridge in 6.5 and the first thing I did was order a new stock - the grip is just wrong (for me) especially off of sticks. Just looking at the above CTR's closer more vertical grip, I have no doubts I wouldn't feel the need to change the stock and given your inclination around ergos, it sounds like the same would apply to you. I had a different set of goals when buying the Bergara and that's why I have no problem with changing out the stock to get what I want. Based upon what you said you want and what you want it for, I would get the Tikka, throw some glass on it and call it a day.

CZ 550 .300 win mag
    image0 (5).jpeg

Bergara (ordered an AG Composite Alpine Hunter stock for it because that grip angle and distance just does not work for me).

image0 (6).jpeg

sanee likes this.
  15. Steak Travis

My bro put an ag on his bergara and loves it

Nice Rivera too

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  16. motorkas

That's actually great to hear! You cant help but wonder....just passed 8 weeks on an 8-10 week build time so hearing about your brother loving his made me look forward to getting it just that much more:D

And thanks on the amp!:beer:

17. Steak Travis

I had that same Amp but for some reason the photo hosting site won't let me upload the picture. It's of my guitars senior year of college... it probably has to do with the giant Dave Matthews band poster in the back ground and it's flagging it

18. motorkas

Did you use it for Strats (or across the board?) Only reason I ask is because I love it with the Strat and PRS but not so much with the Les Paul....also, what made you switch from the 6.5 to .308 especially after 2 years of running the 6.5? Cost per round thing, better results with a .308 vs 6.5 (shot placement being constant).... I got it for a light weight rig when stalking smaller plains game (the .300 win mag is over 12lbs as is and that starts to suck after the first mile)...I notice you hunt a lot of pigs, notice any difference with .308 vs 6.5?

19. Steak Travis

I Ended up with both 6.5 and 308. Selling both tomorrow actually. Purging a bunch of stuff. I saw no real difference on the pigs since they are essentially the same in hunting ranges. If I only had one I’d go 6.5 but if I just had a 308 I wouldn’t feel like I needed a 6.5. The 6.5 will be a great rig for what you got it for. I go through phases on guns, but I've got a few that I'll never part with.

I had a les Paul, tele thin line and a strat though the Rivera. Ran the strat and tele through it mostly as well

finally got it loaded . Hah freakin iPod down there
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  20. motorkas

Yeah, got a chance to run a 6.5 for the first time two years ago and my instant reaction was "this is just cheating". That first time was on paper at a decent clip but it immediately made sense to me from a hunting application where distances are shorter and .300 win mag can be a little over kill on the smaller game. Really looking forward to seeing how it works in it's intended application. Thanks for the insight on what you've seen between the two!

So got to get me a tele. . .:bow: