1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lets talk fasting

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Nov 25, 2017.

1. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

So I just got done watching a documentary called "Science of Fasting" on Amazon, pretty interesting. If you find the subject matter intriguing I recommend giving it a watch. A lot of really interesting research and studies have been conducted on it since like 50-60 years ago but not widely talked about.

Anywho, I've got lots of experience with your typical 16/8 fasting regimen. Been employing it for years from time to time, but have never gone longer than that. Was curious to hear input from others if you've done longer fasts. Not like juice fasts or whatever they're called. I mean actual calorie restriction for longer than 24 hours, only water, and I guess like non-caloric drinks like coffee or tea if those are allowable.

That documentary up there talked about places overseas that have employed fasting to treat a whole slew of medical conditions with very favorable results.

I guess its not too surprising in this society of excess everything (especially calories) we live in to see how people are getting sicker and sicker, because historically/genetically our bodies are actually better equipped to be in a state of without rather than a state of with.

2. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

3. terminus est

terminus est Be prepared

It's good to give your guts a rest every now and then. Supposedly your immune system will 'reset' or something after a couple of days. I've never done it for more than 24hrs, but even that much has a lot of health benefits. Strengthens the mind too, mind over body and stuff.

4. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

An ad on the Alex Jones Show says according to a USC study, a 72 hour water fast will cause your body to renew all its stem cells and as mentioned reset your immune system. I've been meaning to look that up. A friend did a tea only diet for several days and said he felt great after.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I’ve been doing intermittent fasting for about 8 months now, but never longer than 18-20 hours. I really want to try longer periods but can’t made the leap.

6. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

I only fast when I run out of money.

7. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Fasting? For 72 hours??? There would be murder. Multiples more than likely.

418 likes this.
  8. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Is there exercising during fasting?

9. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I fast all the time. I can do 4+ days no problem. When I do the long stretches of days, it's normally for a reason. Fasting to me is spiritual. If someone I know is sick or in a bad place, I fast for them. I'll give up food to cleanse my body out. It makes my head clear so I can focus on them while praying/meditating type thing.

Fasting helps you, while you concentrate on others.

SpeedyE, BigBird, SPL170db and 3 others like this.
  10. condon66

condon66 Member well known

I fast during sleep. That's about it.

11. I fast from midnight to 6am every day.

That’s it.

12. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

BINGO!!!!

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Yes, and it’s pretty effective. You won’t be going for any PR’s, but there’s no reason to lay around like a slug. If you’re into keto and your body is fat-adapted, you’ll have plenty of energy.

14. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

I fast when I open the throttle. Not fast when I hit the kill switch.

15. Phl218

Phl218 .

Longest I did was 14 days on a juice fast. Did water and thin soup too. Felt great. Planning on doing a 5 day minimum before Christmas if work travel does not intervene.

My mother (64) fasts twice a year and swears by it.

Depending on your willpower, the transition is tough for some. Look up “salt water flush” to empty your system. That will help you to clear out quick and not have a long transition phase. I found that after the third day I’d get on a natural high, be energetic and have no trouble at all to continue.

16. obcbr

obcbr Well-Known Member

Tea is caffeinated water.

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I don’t know about all the cells in 72 hours, but it’s called Autophagy and it’s a real, and very effective, thing.

https://greatist.com/live/autophagy-fasting-exercise

18. joec

joec brace yourself

Fasting is part of yoga and meditation. While not exactly exercise both can be physical in their own way.

Fasting will not make to faster though. Lol

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Monk-alhead?

[​IMG]

20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

[​IMG]

Wheel Bearing, Steady T and t500racer like this.