1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's be honest. "Dreamers" = illegals

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by G 97, Sep 2, 2017.

1. G 97

G 97 Garth

I like how its been redefined.

bacolmm likes this.
  2. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

To spare kids mental illness, save their immigrant parents from deportation

It's a scientific study. Sort of.

The study has some obvious limitations: it’s impossible to know whether the Emergency Medicaid data analyzed actually refers to undocumented immigrant mothers, and we don’t know for sure if those mothers actually applied for DACA. Also, we don’t know exactly why the children’s mental health improves. It could be because protecting a parent from deportation decreases stress and anxiety. But it could also be because DACA gave those parents a work authorization, which might have allowed them to find a higher-paying job, which in turn improves quality of life overall.

Hainmueller wants to analyze Medicaid data from other states to see if he can replicate the results he got for Oregon. He also wants to see if the same effects can be seen in older kids, like teenagers.

In the meantime, this is one piece of evidence that shows that immigration policies have important consequences. Hainmueller hopes the research can inform the current discussion around whether DACA should be phased out, changing the life of thousands of immigrants in the US — and that of their US citizen children.

3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Let's be honest. "Dreamers" = voters

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Sounds to me like the symptoms are a result of guilt by association. If you weren't guilty of anything, why would you stress? Imagine the bad vibes emanating from a guilty person. Now transpose those feelings to an impressionable child.
    I so hate "western" medicine's lack of understanding for the human condition. Worse, they refuse to accept the possibility of a connection. No shit the kids are tweaked. I'd be tweaked too if my parents had to walk on pins and needles to put food on the table.

5. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

To me the immigration issue is rather simple. Yeah, kids that were brought over here are here illegally but, as children, they had no choice and I don't think it will actually solve anything if we remove them since, if they've been here their whole lives, they won't know how to survive in a land that to them is a foreign land. The key to solving immigration is to first solve the border issue so that all illegal immigration is stopped. Individuals that have illegally immigrated here above the age of say, 18, must be deported.

6. fastfreddie

Brought here as children, they haven't been here their whole lives.
    How to survive? That's the parent's concern.

I have zero compassion for 'em. Go ask any career military dependent what it's like to bounce all over the world, for years. Not a one of them will want sympathy or feel entitled.
    Ignorant people that never left their own State, let alone their own county or, God forbid :rolleyes:, would have ever been to a foreign country, will ever understand. These are the people stirring the pot. They're not qualified to touch the spoon. GTFO of the kitchen.

AJ, Gixxerguy855 and crashman like this.
  7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Meh...I bet I could find one.

CausticYarn likes this.
  8. fastfreddie

Maybe I should have prefaced that with a qualifier. "Upon becoming adults, ..."

<edit> That's not to say they wouldn't have a ton of shit to bitch about. Hell, have you met me? :D

Shenanigans likes this.
  9. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

If these kids are in a bad spot, it's their parents that put them there.
    Put the blame where it lies.

10. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

When I refer to "children" I'm talking about little children. It's not their frigging fault that they've been taken to a foreign country and raised there while not having any memories about their homeland. Yes, the parents are to blame. So what? It still doesn't change any facts about kids growing up only knowing America as their home, then being shipped to a country they know nothing about.

11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Not my problem senior`. Ship'em out with the parents.

crashman likes this.
  12. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

I'm clearly no fan of trump but damn he has no sight of the long game. He'll never get Mexico to pay for the wall and he'll likely fail at making us pay for it so he might as well do something that keeps his base writing him fan letters. The democrats are going to have a field day with this, little kid after little kid crying while getting deported makes for good leading news stuff.

SuddenBraking and LilBabyGirl like this.
  13. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Yea, that should work out well, especially for those kids that don't speak spanish and haven't ever been back to their "home" country. Then you have some like the local girl that was the first one in her family to graduate high school, got a full ride to Johns Hopkins, should be a doctor soon, let's ship her back. Or the story I heard this morning about the teen that was trying to get into the naval academy. I'm betting congress will get something passed regarding DACA.

14. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:stupid: I have 2 children that I am responsible for. Not really interested in more. Parents fuck up their kids all the time. Theze parents just did a particularly good job of it.

Fonda Dix likes this.
  15. fastfreddie

No, it's not their fault. It's their lot.
    I moved to the Philippines, from NYC, when I was in diapers. Then I moved to Rhode Island when I was out of diapers, then off to San Diego after kindergarden. By the time I started 1st grade, I had essentially lived in three different countries...and I was just getting started.
    Shall I continue with the list of moves?
    Let me just add that I went to Germany when I was 15, to start my junior year in HS. How sad for me. All those friendships lost, new friendships to have to build - having learned they would come to an end in a few short years. How could I have ever survived? :rolleyes:

AJ and turtlecreek like this.
  16. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Her parents broke the law....she is an unfortunate victim of her parents willingness to break the law. Ship her back and she will likely be smart enough to immigrate back through the legal channels. But other than that she can be pissed at her parents for her situation.

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Sooo...what is done to a citizen child if their parents break the law?

18. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Same thing that happens to citizen children if their citizen parents break the law and end up breaking rocks for years.

19. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

I imagine that ending this supposed to curb the will of the parents to try to immigrate their kids to the US, knowing that they won't be able to stay anymore.
    Makes sense to me.

20. fastfreddie

No, no, no...
    It's about illegal immigrants giving birth in the US.
    If they're already alive, they are not and can not be citizens of the US if their entry is/was illegal.

Someone is just trying to be nice and say, "Oh, they're already here, can't we make it legal for them to stay?"
    NO! This country ain't just your personal party bitch. This is a block party, for our neighborhood only. Get those riff-raff assed party crashers off our street...and make sure they take their whining kids with 'em. We ain't cookin' brats for the homeless. They can have the leftovers, shipped in a box...at your bleeding heart's expense, not ours.

badmoon692008 likes this.