1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lane splitting coming to GA?

Discussion in 'General' started by vince224, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

If its crazy...then its illegal under reckless driving. I've seen it. They are dumb and honestly I don't think they are using the allowment (is that a word?) wisely.

But my favorite is seeing out of staters go up the shoulder....um dudes...that's not a lane and that is illegal.

2. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Oh I've done my fair share of both when I was stationed in Cali. I have NO clue how I am here. None whatsoever.

3. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Don't ask? Don't tell? :crackup:

4. Stirz

Stirz Makes my butt look big

I've done it (riding the shoulder) - but only on the air-cooled bike when it was about to have a melt-down in virtually stopped traffic on the interstate. I figured it was better to risk the ticket than seize that sucker up in the middle of the highway.

5. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Same here. I got pulled for it and made this case to the cop who let me off with a warning. I picked up a screw in my rear tire so karma got me $200 even if the state didn't.

6. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

If there's enough traffic to warrant splitting...it would be sort of hard to get pulled over, unless you were on the freeway and an unmarked had a clean shot at you.

I've done it in at least seven states. Def worth the risk safety/speed vs potential ticket imho.

7. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Illegal in MD but if you saw the congestion you'd understand why

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I have always avoided the shoulder at all costs. There's probably no better way to puncture a tire.

9. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

I'd be for this, although it would take some convincing for the rest of the population. I'd almost rather it phase in by allowing bikes to filter forward at lights. That would be the number one place I would use it, and that's the place where it has little to no effect on the car population. Of course I could see it becoming pretty annoying for car drivers around a heavily attended bike night. I'd also be pretty wary of it in most cases on the highway except extreme gridlock.

10. apexspeed

apexspeed Well-Known Member

I rode the shoulder/emergency lane everyday for a few years when commuting in decent weather to/from work during rush hour. never had a flat or got ticketed.

there is no way I will sit and creep with cages in rush hour on an interstate. once its stop and go, I dont care where its at, Im using the emergency lane as that IS an emergency IMO.

I know people hate it.. Fuck'em! I have also had experiences that leave no doubt that some drivers ARE trying to kill you!

Ive always lane split when needed anyway. I go right to the front of the line at lights sometimes just to avoid being surrounded by idiots and murderers. Id actually prefer they leave it illegal so as not to draw more attention to it. Im one of those guy that will do what ever it takes to reduce or eliminate unnecessary risks while riding.

I really dont care what anyone thinks about it.. rather risk getting ticketed than riding in high risk situations where other "drivers" are mindless zombies .

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You don't know the kind of luck I have. :)

Emergency? Are you a trauma surgeon or something?

12. light 3

light 3 the bot

i would love lane splitting, but probably wouldn't do it all the time. especially in my area. i would just do it in certain situations.

13. apexspeed

apexspeed Well-Known Member

No, but the likelihood of meeting one of them IS the reason those situations call for emergency actions.

now that you mention flats though, now I will need to vaporize that thought before it occurs to me. LOL! I know how it is/can be! some things I have to not think about.

14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I confess to lane splitting stopped traffic on I4 coming back from Daytona several times. Including this year with a bunch of Harley dudes. As one guy yelled, "They can't get all of us!" lol.
    #Outlaw :cool:
    #Dumbass :confused:

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You haven't seen lane splitting if you haven't been stuck in traffic in Paris. I've rented bikes while on vacation here a few times 20+ years ago. Those guys take it to the next level. I had to move over a few times to let people by and after they passed me, following them was not an option. I had absolutely no desire to ride that fast between two lines of motionless cars. It was a complete mystery to me how there were no side mirrors lying on the pavement between lanes.

16. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

The shoulder isn't the emergency lane Not sure who/where you were taught this.

17. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

18. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Jesus flipping Christ on a pony. Just shut up. We get it, you're the expert on all things. Congrats for correcting yet another ill informed person on the internet.

20. the muffin man

the muffin man certified hymen inspector

ahahahahahahaaa