1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lane splitting coming to GA?

Discussion in 'General' started by vince224, Apr 11, 2014.

1. vince224

vince224 Well-Known Member

2. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Been hearing about this for 20 Years.... Wont happen.... And if it does people here wont get it at Rush hour and doors will open..

3. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

I don't see enough motorcycles on the road to make me believe this will help with Atlanta traffic.

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

well maybe it will ADD them to the road because of the law

5. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I can't imagine lane splitting in the Atlanta area. Hell, I'd like to be in an M1 Abrams tank when I drive through there the way it is!

6. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

+1

7. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I can. I've done it on occasion, it certainly feels safer than sitting in traffic waiting to get ass-packed by the texting cager behind you.

8. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

It will help.

It will add motorcycles to the road.

Billy Bob & Sally Sue (the reference is not intended to be limited to rednecks - the "professionals" may well be the worst offenders) stuck in their cages while texting and surfing the web and talking on their phones will be pissed off and will open doors, pull over and otherwise do dangerous and inappropriate things to thwart riders' legitimate and then-legal actions. Time to mount a GoPro on your bike and run it whenever commuting. The download will be Exhibit 1 in the ensuing lawsuit for assualt, possibly battery and attempted negligent homicide. It is amazing to me how people transform when they get in their cars and do things they would never condone if asked in a different context.

While I wish it would become a reality, I don't see the State Legislature passing such a bill.

Cheers,

Dave

9. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Got pulled over a few summers back for lane splitting in stand still traffic in the summer heat by two female cops. Got a ticket that said "lane splitting'... went to pay it, turned out it was a $400 reckless driving ticket. :cool:

10. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I have sent messages to the people that represent me, going to start pimpin' on Facebook soon. If it fails it won't be because I didn't try. :D

11. How does lane splitting work (in places where it is legal)?

Does the traffic have to be stopped? Like you can only filter to the front and red lights etc. Or can you split two cars on the Interstate?

12. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

You just Pin it to Win it!! First one to Starbucks gets the trophy!

13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

No it doesn't have to be stopped. You can split on the Interstate.

14. :crackup:

I wish they would make that shit legal everywhere.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's supposed to be with the traffic below a certain speed but haven't noticed people actually following that part in Cali :D

16. socal

socal Well-Known Member

Lane splitting saves alot of time when travelling the congested roads in/around Los Angeles. Lane splitting remains, however, a risky proposition, eg. cars suddenly change lanes. It is common to hear of traffic collisions involving motorcyclists during rush hour- I suspect- because of cagers not seeing a lane splitting motorcyclist.

17. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I've done it for miles and miles in Cali. The law is very vague actually. It says in a safe manner at reasonable speeds. I always took that as when cars were stopped I did like 20-25 and match the speed on up till I'm going the speed limit.

I wish they made it legal everywhere.

18. TSAVO5150

TSAVO5150 ASMA #70

I'd be more inclined to commute more during our nuclear hot summers here in AZ if they would pass it here.

19. Yea, some of those guys get pretty crazy with it out in Cali. :eek:

20. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

In California there is no law that says you can not do it. You don't need a law to make something legal...you only need it to make it illegal.

So for example in Washington all they need to do is change one sentence and it would allow a motorcycle to share a lane with a car. It would also allow cars to share lanes. :D