1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just how cheap are you?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave K, Sep 28, 2016.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

My wife's grandparents do this type of thing (washing and re-using plastic utensils, foam plates, etc) but they lived through the depression. I think it's crazy. If it's that big of a deal, don't buy the disposable stuff in the first place.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

But, Jim, if you want an example here's one. I got a wicked awesome Powell Pioneer head, strung up well with their frontier mesh and on one of their Flight 22 shafts for $90 and it came with a t shirt. That was on sale of course but it's sick and if you can throw to start with I'd tell you to check it out. But if you're a left coast hack who has never held a stick other than his own penis then check out the String King Complete. $99.95 and it's the best bargain in lacrosse and one of the best set ups for even twice the money.

So, what 'cha gonna get? :crackup::p

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

For me, everything is cost/benefit. Can I save money doing it myself? Would I be giving up time making money to do it myself? Is the amount saved more or less than what I'd make?

Same rule applies to most other things: buying paper plates vs time/materials/electricity to wash regular dishes, buying one good tool or three junk tools that break, and so on.

Then, in the end, all of that can be undone by my own personal desires. I've wasted a shit load of time and money making my yard look nice. I probably could have paid Truegreen $30/mo and come out ahead in both time and money, but I LIKE messing with it and knowing that it's nice because of ME, not because of some schmoe with a truck full of chemicals.

4. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Going through three $40 things when one $100 thing would have been better isn't "cheap" or "frugal", it's stupid.

Time is the most valuable asset I have. I can get more money, but I can't get more time. If spending whatever on whatever makes my life easier, I'm on it.

Washing plastic utensils? Nope.

Yzasserina, Funkm05, masshole and 2 others like this.
  5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I was actually thinking about making a thread sort of like this, but more about how much "value" seems to decrease as cost goes up. Does a $250k Ferrari get you around town 10 times better than a $25k used car? Do the Shirt Thread guys' $200 shirts wear that much better than my $20 off-the-rack shirts? Does DaveK's $10k Rolex tell time better than my phone?

More often than not, the answer is a resounding NO.

6. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

\
    Oh so we are talking about females.... what kind of self respecting man doesn't get their hair cut at a barber??

bleacht likes this.
  7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

But my ~ $6500 Rolex (don't remember how much it was) is now worth $6500 on the used market. How much is your phone worth on the used phone market? :D and then there's the fact that I'll have it for 15, 20 or maybe even 30 years and then my kid will have it, what about your phone?

8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Raises hand....

I don't give a shit who cuts my hair. There are only 2 things I care about. Time between haircuts...and leaving just enough to not get thrown out of the house. That's it. It gets cut as short as the wife will tolerate and then I don't go back until it looks like an afro trying to peak out from under a hat. If I can get the little woman to stop caring they can cut until they can see what I'm thinking.

9. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Hell. No.

Every two weeks, regardless.

10. Who are you to talk about self respecting?!

:D

Phl218 and cajun636 like this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

10k Rolex tells the time with more style :D

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I get my hair cut wherever it's cheap and convenient.

13. kangasj

kangasj Banned

How cheap am I?......, really fucking cheap. My GF could go on an on about it. I get by on less than $20.00/week for groceries, my feet are about to fall out of my shoes, couple hair cuts a year at $8.00/pop, the house is always too hot or too cold depending on what time of the year it is, I think I've been using the same razor for the last 4 months....bla bla bla. I look at it as more money for the boat....

14. I need to start being cheap. I do ok for a living, invest a shit ton, have a decent padding in savings, blow the rest. Don't care where it goes. Life's about balance. I don't skimp on clothes, play stuff, stuff for my kids, food, etc. I could probably have more in the bank but who cares. I do research a lot of stuff before I buy it but that's really value based and not being cheap.

BigBird and SuddenBraking like this.
  15. madkaw

madkaw Meh...

January thru April...
    [​IMG]

May thru December...
    [​IMG]

16. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

This just validated my post @akdrift lol

17. Phl218

Phl218 .

mine gets in trouble if she doesn't do that. or if she tosses the one i just cleaned out.

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

What do you eat?

19. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Taco Bell sauce package soup

20. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

I used to be crazy cheap but I've loosened up a bit since with certain experiences. And my girl was brought up differently than I as far as what you need in life. Ice cream scooper? Salad tongs? Decorations? High thread count? Not even a thought in my mind.
    Cheap azz Chinese bike parts?
    Nope. Trying to save $100 cost me thousands. Not doing that again.

AC would only come on at night SOMETIMES. I live in Phoenix. As long as I wasn't sweating, it was off. But now I have to use it since I have little spawn. I'm a lights off Nazi.

Food.. I always have and still do hate eating out. But when I eat out, I eat good.
    Also when grocery shopping, I always look at the price per oz/ qty. (bulk isn't always the cheaper option)

Time is extremely valuable to me. So if it's something I really don't want to do, need extra special tools, and it costs less than it would take me to do it at my current salary, Sometimes I'll just get it done. Especially if I need some special tools and I won't be doing it again or for a long time.

I cut corners as long as I don't lose value in what I'm getting for my money.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016