1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just found out the wife ran up some serious credit card debt

Discussion in 'General' started by USracer900, Nov 6, 2022.

1. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I think the proper term is “entitlement” not “expectation”.

2. So you can live in a house not only for free, but get paid to live there...with the only caveat being you dont/never actually own the house?

There HAS to be more to it than that, or everyone would be doing it. Who cares if I never own the home, if somebody is paying me to live in it.

3. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

First you have to own the home, numbnutz. Or a good portion of it at least.

Gorilla George likes this.
  4. Ah ok, haha. Now that is starting to make some sense.

My house has been paid off for a couple of years now. So I could do a reverse mortgage and "give" my house to the bank, and they start paying me monthly? Is that how it goes?

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Yes, basically that's it and they own your place at the end.

6. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

There’s a little more to it now that I’ve read a few articles on it.
    As mentioned, you have own or damn near own it.
    Have to be at least 62 (sorry)
    Has to be primary residence for at least 6 mo
    Has to be maintained to remain up to FHA standards
    You still ‘own’ the house
    You still have to pay taxes, HOA, etc
    Your heirs can still inherit the house, but they have to pay back the remainder of the loan. You can take the loan in installments or lump sum. If your reverse mortgage was for 500,000, and you’ve received 500,000 in lump sum or payments, and your heirs sell the house for 600,000, they have repay the 500,000 +interest. If the house depreciates and only sells for 450,000, your estate owes 50,000 + interest. Once the balance is settled, the heirs own the house.
    I’m sure there’s more fine print, but that’s what I’ve come up with so far.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
    TurboBlew likes this.
  7. Damn just reading that gave me a headache.

I reckon ill just keep it and eventually sell it myself and take the lump sum myself.

MUFC1878 likes this.
  8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I have a handful of friends dealing with "aging parents" in their childhood homes. All of the structures are less than "accessible" for a parent in a chair or in need of assistance. My one friend has 3 siblings and it was still a chore to coordinate round the clock care for a parent with dementia and the other with lupus. Unfortunately his mother passed a few months ago so they are left caring for the father in a familiar setting. He doesn't have an understanding of whats going on... but moving him to a facility will likely break him.
    My other friend had to move his 85 yr old mother in to his basement 2 room apt and fit a chair lift so she could make it up to the first floor. Plus he has 2 toddlers so he can't just leave the door unlocked.
    In those 2 examples... you would be looking at huge $$ for care. But they are making sacrifices to get the best situation for everyone. All those parents had their own place(s) but it still wasnt worth the hassle to do a reverse mortgage.

tony 340 likes this.
  9. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Same problem we are having with my wife's parents.

Her mom has Parkinson's and her legs are almost unusable.

We tried explaining to them multiple times they need a house with everything on 1 floor. Parkinsons doesn't get better. It gets worse.

They just don't get it yet.

To me, when the fire department has to get you out of your bedroom, that's a pretty big fucking sign.

Wanted to do a chairlift at their house, but it's a goofy 2 piece stairway in a l shape.

If her dad goes down, her mom is totally fucked.

10. tony 340

Everyone trying to keep up with the Jones's as my parents would say.

Absolutely mind boggling to me how many people live stuck in the "what's my monthly payment" mindset.

11. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

While I definitely agree with this to an extent, the popularity of using real estate as passive income has definitely impacted housing costs. A 2 bedroom, 15 year old, 1500 sq ft townhome where I live is in the neighborhood of $300k, give or take ~$20k, depending on a few other variables. That exact same townhome was barely north of $100k just a decade ago when it was only 5 years old. In manufacturing (what I have the most visibility to and a very prominent option for all levels of work around here), wages have increased ~50% in that time period.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bitching about it. But reality is entry level homes are, in fact, more expensive relative to entry level incomes in plenty of places around the country. There are a lot of variable contributing to that and it obviously does vary by locale. But, best I can tell, true nonetheless.

mpusch and tony 340 like this.
  12. tony 340

The sad thing with today's market is this:

-The retirees are getting their asses handed to them

-The poor are even more poor

13. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Wages have barely risen in the last 20 years but the housing, vehicle cost, insurance, EVERYTHING has risen dramatically. I dont blame the youngest generation from seeing the uphill battle and saying "fuck it...imma be poor and have nothing, or work my ass off and still have nothing...."
    I bought my first house for 220k in 2010, i was making $18 an hour and first few year we were scraping by. I sold that house 4 years later for 340k in 2014. Bought my current house for 420k (giggidy)....last year during the craziness very similar house near me sold for 1.2 million....Youre telling me house price tripled in 8 years but "people just have an expectation of what their parents have and are bitching?" Nah my dude...
    Families are renting basements for $2000 in Toronto while wages havent risen in 10 years other than minimum wage. Burger flippers make $15, while rest of peoples wages havent risen nearly enough. Truck drivers make $25an hour. Average house price in Toronto is 1.5 million, same houses my parents bought in 1997 for 200k.
    Im not gonna sit here and shit on the younger generations and that "their expectations are too high..." Theres literally NOTHING within 2 hours of Toronto for less than 400k, and that means deep country. Good luck finding a job that doesnt pay more than $15 an hour up there. I weep for them. They are being handed a shit sandwich.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Rental property has always been an issue though.

As for property values changing in any given hood - welcome to another same old thing reality. Some hoods go up, others go down, then the gay folks and hipsters (used to be the hippies) move in, fix up the bad hood, prices go up, drive out the po folks, hood gets fancy while other hoods they came from is where the po folks go and that hood declines.

I also don't think a 1500 sf townhome is a starter home. They're always expensive, require HOA fees and so on. 1500 sf is also not that small in real reality vs realtor reality...

As for the incomes - there is a reason why poor people rent. Evelynes mom never owned a home. Never could afford it. Still raised two kids by herself. Yeah they shared a room for most of their life growing up. If you're starting out guess what, you're poor. Deal with it and live appropriately. You don't deserve or need a new car. You don't deserve or need a 300k town home or even to own your own home. You don't deserve or need to rent a 1k sf apartment in a gated complex with a pool and a gym and all the amenities. You don't deserve or need the latest smart phone. Or dinners out multiple times weekly or satellite/cable tv and on and on and on. All of the bitching people have a very bad grasp on what are truly needs and what are wants.

R1Racer99 and SteveThompson like this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Toronto seems same as it's always been when the rich folks like a place and drive the pricing up past what the poor or even normal people can afford. No clue why Toronto thinks it's NYC levels of stupid but it seems to be and there are plenty of poor people living in NYC and surviving. BTW - ain't a damn thing wrong a with a basement, especially if you work thirds :D

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So same old shit different decade/generation.

I also don't think most of you who are talking about the poor getting poorer have hung out with poor people in the US or been poor. Because the poor people sure as hell seem to have amenities I couldn't have dreamed of at certain points in my life. Hell, even homeless people have cell phones somehow :crackup:

17. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

This is why travel (especially international) is important. It gives you some perspective.

Who are the people buying these places in Toronto? Apparently lots of folks can afford it or half the properties would be in foreclosure. It kinda seems to me like they are selling for market value. I don’t know about Canada, but in the US I can show you lots of places where you can have a beautiful home on a modest income.

cpettit likes this.
  18. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

There's a couple of words being used in this thread that I think need to be redefined, or perhaps refine the definition.

Broke- a temporary condition of not being able to make ends meet.

Poor- a pattern of decision making that results in being perpetually broke.

When you realize that you are broke, stop being poor.

R1Racer99, Gorilla George and ChemGuy like this.
  19. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

You mispelled the bank's house....

20. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

A lot of the inflated prices in Canada and the US states that mirror it (CA, NY, IL, etc) is due to the layers and layers of regulations on building and the costs associated with this level of regulation.

If we went back to very basic zoning and rules regarding what can built, how its built and where its built, prices would be better. because more homes could be built, single and multi family, and that extra supply would lower prices.

when you have to get permission/permits from 4-5+ different local and state entities to build, add extra parking spaces, green spaces, 3 layer windows, super efficient HVAC, extra insulation, sprinklers, ADA compliance, 2car garages, minimum lot size, neighborhood pool/gym etc it gets expensive.

tony 340 likes this.