It may be time for Rousey...

Discussion in 'General' started by socal, Mar 6, 2015.

1. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

[​IMG]

Hmmm.....

2. socal

socal Well-Known Member

So Rousey's competitors have less skill because they are female?

3. biggenyz426

biggenyz426 too big to fail

Gotta keep in mind as well, these guys fighting at 135 are probably walking around at 155-165 when not cutting weight. In general, females aren't able to cut that kind weight before fights. Rousey probably walks around at what? 145ish?

4. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

Maybe just make him tie one arm behind his back.:D

5. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Unless you've had years of professional fighting experience at the most elite level, even 1 year of training and your size advantage won't save you. MMA is something else. I remember watching a fight where the Muay Thai world champion who was new to MMA got his ass handed to him by a more experienced pure MMA guy.

No one is discounting Rousey's ability. She is no doubt equally skilled as any male fighter at the same relative level, and she would have a non-zero chance of victory, but females aren't as physically capable as males of equal weight and relative fitness. The most elite female runners are still several minutes behind their male counterparts in running the marathon. Physiology does matter.

6. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

The science said that the difference lies in muscle cross-section. If you have narrower, denser muscles, you will be weaker than someone who's more "ripped" but less dense. Females are not able to bulk up as well as men, but compare Rousey against Dillinshaw. Sure, Dillinshaw is ripped out of his mind but he's no bulkier than she is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More specifically to this, Rousey has proven clearly that she's not currently winning by brute strength alone. You don't simply muscle an equal-weight opponent into a submission hold, you out-think and out-maneuver them into it. Strength is a huge component, I'm not discounting that, but there's shitloads more to fighting than just being strong.

Because the top ten bantamweight women don't also know how to avoid that?

What's irritating me here is the notion that men are inherently better fighters. How many of you guys have fought women? Yeah, men are generally stronger. Strength doesn't translate to speed, endurance, balance, pain tolerance or intelligence, however - and all of those characteristics are at LEAST as important as strength.

I agree that this is a stupid argument, but for different reasons - Rousey herself has stated point blank that she will never fight a man, because (her words) "there is never any situation in which it should be ok for a man to hit a woman". Her mom thinking she'd lose doesn't hold much for me; men and women at the same weight are a lot more similar than most people think.

7. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

I agree it is a stupid argument, I think that could be said for most things we discuss on here... :)

I have only level III combatives in the army and a little Krav Maga, I just want the payout without losing in the 1st 30 seconds. I could run like hell for the first 30, next 30 dance a little last 60 would be questionable.

8. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Let me repeat..... if he so desired....

Does she have a fighter's chance in hell? Yes, every fighter does.... but we're talking .000099999%.... IMO. :D

9. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

This is the line that made me laugh. She talks all tough chick like she could take down any guy in her weight class and then plays the girl card to make sure that her hummingbird ass doesnt have to back up her alligator mouth. :rolleyes:

10. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

No, but I will saying they have far less skill then her. Any I also think you are just trolling.

And many of the top men have been fighting their whole lives. It is more uncommon for a woman to start fighting and training at a very young age then a man. Read what Rousey's own mother said. She said the Rhonda is not like all the other women. She grew up training and fighting while most of the women fighters came into it much later in life.

11. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I think it's more of a "don't want to make it seem like it's EVER ok" thing of preventing/not-giving-even-the-remotest-validation-to domestic violence.

12. backcountryme

Bill Burr had a great standup where he talks about men hitting a woman. Look it up.

Nobody here is saying that she isn't the GOAT of women fighting. She has proven that without any question. But strength matters as well as speed, balance, and skill. The top guys are just as skilled, just as fast (arguably faster), and they are stronger. They didn't get to the top in the weight class without being the best. But physicality matters. Hell, I'll even go so far as to put it into racing. Why have there not been any women champions in the top level series? A lot of times they have a weight advantage. There hasn't been one female champion in AMA roadracing, World Superbike, MotoGP, Indycar, Formula 1, Nascar, any of them. Why is that? And I am not being sexist here, that is just fact. Actually I think it is being sexist to think that a woman can do EVERYTHING a man can do at the same level. They can't. Just as a man cannot do everything at the same level a woman can.

13. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

Jimmy Carr was right to the point. "Hitting your wife is stupid, I mean it's YOUR wife. That's like keying your own car".;)

14. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Yep.
    But of course it is OK for her or any woman to hit a man. Stupidity.

15. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Shirley Muldowney. Multiple time NHRA top fuel champion
    Angelle Sampey. Multiple time NHRA Pro Stock bike champion
    Jutta Kleinschmidt Won the Paris-Dakar Rally 2001
    Michèle Mouton (while not winning the world rally championship, she did place 2nd in 1982)

16. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

You may be right but I am far to cynical to believe that logic.

17. backcountryme

18. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Yeah, he's great lol.

I'd put a lot of the lack of women in the top of things like motor racing, and other traditionally-male sports that involve a larger proportion of skill compared to raw athleticism and size, to that very traditionally-male bit. Shitloads of little girls go out for soccer, softball, volleyball, track, horse riding etc. Very few girls do things like motor racing or boxing/fighting, and even fewer of those start in the single-digit ages.

I'm not saying girls can do everything that men can. There are size and strength advantages for men in athletic endeavors, that's just a fact of life. What I'm trying to say is that I think Ronda Rousey's level of fitness and level of skill are comparable to any man's of the same weight. I'm definitely not saying she would beat Dillashaw. I'm saying I think she could beat him, because she definitely is in the same league.

19. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Wouldn't be an interesting fight, I don't think. Laila is kidding herself; I like boxing better personally but strikers generally lose to grapplers.

Best part of that page was the link to Rousey's SI Swimsuit shoot video.

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Numbers.

Just think of the number of male 16-year-old racers it takes to produce one world champion. If he same number of 16-year-old girls were involved in racing and still couldn't produce champions, I would concede the point. But it's not even close, as you know.

If someone like Patty Wagstaff had started racing as a teenager, I'm confident she could have battled for IndyCar championships. I mean, what does it involve that you would think she couldn't handle?